Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Do Americans understand the British term 'Bit of a Bugger"? We use it the same way in Australia and NZ too.
Don't explain our sayings to them blue! They'll only murder them... just like the murder our language!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Means a bit of a serious nuisance/mishap. It has nothing to do with sailors, as neither does 'Gob' which is the term for a mouth; so, as some comedian remarked, if a Cockney whelk seller who has given you 50 pee change out of your $50 tells you when you complain to 'Shutcha gob' he is not inviting you to close up a sailor. Neither when we talk of Bums on seats are we talking talking about the misfortunate malpriviledged, glumly sitting through an uplifting sermon as their penance paid for free soup and bread...though it may look like it, but we speak of of what you transatlantic bods call 'Asses' - which to us means silly, silly people.

Now delete that

Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Means a bit of a serious nuisance/mishap. It has nothing to do with sailors, as neither does 'Gob' which is the term for a mouth; so, as some comedian remarked, if a Cockney whelk seller who has given you 50 pee change out of your $50 tells you when you complain to 'Shutcha gob' he is not inviting you to close up a sailor. Neither when we talk of Bums on seats are we talking talking about the misfortunate malpriviledged, glumly sitting through an uplifting sermon as their penance paid for free soup and bread...though it may look like it, but we speak of of what you transatlantic bods call 'Asses' - which to us means silly, silly people.

Now delete that
Yeah! Let em stick that up their Khyber passes mate! I was going to answer mesell but when come up the apples and pears ter answer this, there's a bit of a Pen and Ink, i'll 'ave ter get on the Dog and Bone ter clock if any of me china plates knows what it could be!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
To answer the OP:

Absolutely nothing.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Do Americans understand the British term 'Bit of a Bugger"? We use it the same way in Australia and NZ too.
I think most of us do, yes.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Poor Jesus was collateral damage. But He shouldn't have died for our sins because many of the people in this world ended up having horrible lives. So what a freaking waste of time for Jesus. Sad really.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
As Charlie Brown might have said '..and I still have the same sins..' (1) It is odd though as has often been remarked, why God, who decided to send a more or less personal representative with the set intent of having him tortured to death in order to allow him to insert a get -out clause into the charter of universal damnation that somehow He found that He had on his hands.

It is utterly clear that the casting of Judas and the High Priests as the nasties is unfair since, without their efforts, the whole redemption plan would not have worked. And Pilate who is made to look as decent as possible (even made a Christian and a saint later on) was doing his best to scupper God's plan by letting him off. Lucky there was the crowd of Jews there to insist on crucifixion (and why should we not see the hand of God in that event?) or there would have been no death, resurrection or redemption and of course, Jesus' predictions would have been false.

Why then, even if the crowd calling for crucifixion hardly understood that their actions was fulfilling God's plan, would their eager acceptance of the responsibility for the crucifixion be anything other than something deserving of ...well, if not praise exactly, but certainly not a pretext of 2000 years of anti -semitic persecution, by a religion and church which assumes itself to be Good?

On the other hand, Pilate, bending over backwards to let Jesus off is, as Matthew has Jesus saying to Peter, is prompted if not by Stan (always trying to get us in another fine mess) by the side of men. I know that he is regarded as a weak, flawed and essentially treacherous person, but not because he was trying to let Jesus off, but because he bowed to pressure and handed him over to have God's blood -sacrifice carried out in order to renew the covenant.

It astonishes me that over 2,000 years there have only ever been the merest hints that the baddies were in fact the goodies and the goodies were no acting in accordance with the God's plan. Matthew 16 21-23 points this up and should read in context with Matthew 27.25.

25 All the people answered, “His blood is on us and on our children!”

Should not that read:

25 All the people answered, “His redeeming blood is on us and on our children!”?

I can only assume, this pretty obvious conclusion was so unwelcome to Christian anti -Jewish prejudice that they simply slammed their minds shut.

(1) I would have shown the cartoon but the TV animation was truly gruesome in its leaden, humour-killing mangling of the snappy, witty 4 frame originals.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-09-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
OP/original question:

Depending on what mood I'm in, either...

Nothing.

or,

SUCKERRR!!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Don't explain our sayings to them blue! They'll only murder them... just like the murder our language!
Frankly, Raf, we could hardly make "bit of a bugger" any worse than it already is, so yes, I bow to your greater authority on that one.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
Cool Died for are sins?

We wouldn't have heard his message if he had not took it all the way to the cross and refused to deny being the son of God. Got to admit he wowed em with the walk on water thing and then blew there minds with that profound wisdom, and the healing? Come on he had to be for real,right? Blind faith may be the only way to follow. For me I can only say that 18 yrs ago something (God ?) physically grabbed my head turned it and made me listen to my mother and stop drinking alchohol That is the only thing that happened to me that was not of this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality