Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM

3,012 posts, read 8,938,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well if it was always stone, it would still not explain why it had triple decks, and cages inside. Nor would it explain why it had air vents running across it's top.
Pix or it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How did this thread get to be 56 pages long?

If any of you would like to argue with my dog, please drop by sometime today. I'm sure you will find her to be open to critical thought on the topic. I also have a wall you can debate with...although it isn't brick.
I'm betting the dog AND the wall would have better, more intelligent thoughts on the subject.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,955,449 times
Angry "Nyah!" No, "Nyah Nyah!" "No, Neeener neener!"

Well, Mathguy, to your question: "How did this thread get to be 56 pages long?" And also, to your welcomed comments about your dog and wall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I'm betting the dog AND the wall would have better, more intelligent thoughts on the subject.
True. Sadly true, SSS!

One part of the answer: See my new thread 'bout the inability to concede by those who MUST retain their particular beliefs to retain their fragile sanity: R&P forum; "Spiritual Desperation"

"Full Speed Ahead, and Damn The Truth, Men!"

The thread seeks to sidestep all the stuff about which Ark is The Ark, which dino bone came from which caveman's home, which patently obvious and easily countable (and hence "fraudulent!") "varve" geochronology is "obviously a hoax!" Of course, predictably, some combative flaming IDTs* (see below) cannot control themselves...

Ergo, this thread here goes round''round'n'round'n'round. rnrnrnrnr AOAOAI......

Having my own personal pet, Dottie The Wonder Cat, here by my side, commenting, with obvious concern for my long-term mental health, on my own pointless dialog with "walls", I'm well aware of the solemn elegance concerned pets can bring to such discussions. They are far more kind-hearted, and open to change, than IDTs.

Can you get your thoughtful dog on line somehow, Mathguy?

BTW, I had a VERY interesting discussion last night with a good friend who is also a thoughtful, calm and very intelligent Catholic priest. He has provided spiritual and personal counselling for distraught or questioning and curious students at our local college for over 18 years. He's heard it all.

He assured my worried mind that Churches of all denominations recognize the "problem" that overly devout intransigent, fundamentailist, literalist members of their congregations bring to the party, and how they can really hamper rational thoughtful discussion. He's seen them stomp their little feet and leave the room, crying their eyes out. This would be adult males! Meeting with other Christians for bible study, etc.

PS: Webster's definition: intransigent-

1. adj.: refusing to agree or compromise; uncompromising; inflexible.

2. n: a person who refuses to agree or compromise, as in politics or religion.

Hence, these Intransigent Dogmo-Theists (*IDTs*) actually think that this sort of endless circular, nonsensical, openly combative argument furthers the validity of their "world" and is somehow convincing to dispassionate readers. Rather, I'd say it likely invokes pity.

He assured me that The Church (most Churches, really) also fully realize that the bible is an allegory, and that The Catholic Church, for which he could speak accurately, fully realizes that Evolution is, of course, how the wide array of species came to be, and that it happened over "millions and millions" (thanks, Carl!) of years.

(He was also very interested in the recent Lenski et al, 2008, proof of speciation through accumulated but reproduced DNA transcription errors. He intends to teach it to his Christian students, because, voila, it's true and proved.)

I mean, the Catholic Church didn't get to be the most powerful organization in the world by being stupid and intransigent, now did they?

Last edited by rifleman; 01-27-2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
He assured me that The Church (most Churches, really) also fully realize that the bible is an allegory, and that The Catholic Church, for which he could speak accurately, fully realizes that Evolution is, of course, how the wide array of species came to be, and that it happened over "millions and millions" (thanks, Carl!) of years.
Holy crap, this was a priest? Good on him I say! I think that's a priest I would like to buy a beer.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM

998 posts, read 1,335,555 times
The bible as we know it is not the original bible of Jesus..its been tainted by human hands. There was a flood and Noah did built the ark. However the flood was not world-wide as erraneously stated in the bible..it only affected the area where Noah stayed..On this issue..the bible is not the only religious book telling the flood story

Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
The bible as we know it is not the original bible of Jesus..its been tainted by human hands. There was a flood and Noah did built the ark. However the flood was not world-wide as erraneously stated in the bible..it only affected the area where Noah stayed..On this issue..the bible is not the only religious book telling the flood story

This has been speculated for some time as well and something I believe is more realistic. A localized flood that grew into mythological proportions over years of hearsay.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,994,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
The Old Testament was written long before Jesus showed up, and Jesus did fulfill three hundred prophecies of the Old Testament. The Old Testament also tells us that the flood waters were higher that the mountains. If that was the case, then we are speaking of a global flood, and not a local one.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,994,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Pix or it didn't happen.
There are numerous accounts of the Ark on Mt. Ararat. This is just one of many. Link below.

Ed Davis Visits Noah's Ark (http://www.fellowshipinhislove.com/eddavis.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,949,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
There are numerous accounts of the Ark on Mt. Ararat. This is just one of many. Link below.

Ed Davis Visits Noah's Ark (http://www.fellowshipinhislove.com/eddavis.html - broken link)
Pix mean pictures Campbell.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Pix mean pictures Campbell.
Yep. And that doesn't include an indistinguishably blurry dark lump taken by high orbit satellite.

I want pictures of those "cages" and "decks" et cetera. Ones that are clear and unshopped. I mean really, in all those visits you say happened to the Real Undisputed Ark, you'd think it would have occurred to someone to bring along a camera and get some decent photos.

Last edited by SuSuSushi; 01-28-2009 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality