Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Can you explain what you mean by enlightened? Why is the first one more enlightened than the second? (too lazy to copy and paste)
The post was referring to “exclusivity” and an inclusive attitude, not that one is more “enlightened” spiritually if that was what you’re questioning. Per their post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Buddhists generally don't have a problem with practicing other religions as well. … This attitude seems so much more enlightened than Judaeo-Christian-Islamic exclusivity.
What was your interpretation of their post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by enlightened? Why is the first one more enlightened than the second? (too lazy to copy and paste)
I meant that Buddhism (for the most part) expresses more tolerance for other faiths than the Middle Eastern monotheistic religions do. I am not saying that any religion is bad in itself.

Buddhism has far less of a problem with fundamentalism than the Middle Eastern monotheistic religions do (Islam especially, but also Christianity and to a lesser extent Judaism). The closest equivalent to a fundamentalist sect in Buddhism would be the Nichiren Buddhists. They are the only Buddhists who deny the validity of other schools and sects of Buddhism and who think their brand of Buddhism is the only correct one. They might not technically be "fundamentalist" in the strict sense due to having influence from Shintoism, but their attitude and practices are closer to fundamentalism as we would know it than those of other Buddhist sects.
However, otherwise Buddhism seems to be the most tolerant of major world religions. There is less violence associated with Buddhism than any other major world religion (although there has been some).

BTW, I'm not a Buddhist, just someone who admires Buddhism and who also admits there is good and bad in other major world religions.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
totally glad we are not as enlightened as buddhism, that is why you have a choice, not a global one religion

Old 02-27-2007, 05:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Marks -
So the one religion is... Baptist, Anglican, Unitarian, Methodist, Anabaptist, Lutheran, Unitarian, Quaker, Southern Baptist, Congregationalist, Oriental Orthodox, Presbyterian, Calvinist, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Pentacostalist, Assyrian, and Macedonian Orthodox.

Have I got that right?
Quote:
Those are Denominations, not religions, since they are of the Christian "religion".
FL_TN_Nana, you beat me to it. Your right, Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I meant that Buddhism (for the most part) expresses more tolerance for other faiths than the Middle Eastern monotheistic religions do. I am not saying that any religion is bad in itself.

Buddhism has far less of a problem with fundamentalism than the Middle Eastern monotheistic religions do (Islam especially, but also Christianity and to a lesser extent Judaism). The closest equivalent to a fundamentalist sect in Buddhism would be the Nichiren Buddhists. They are the only Buddhists who deny the validity of other schools and sects of Buddhism and who think their brand of Buddhism is the only correct one. They might not technically be "fundamentalist" in the strict sense due to having influence from Shintoism, but their attitude and practices are closer to fundamentalism as we would know it than those of other Buddhist sects.
However, otherwise Buddhism seems to be the most tolerant of major world religions. There is less violence associated with Buddhism than any other major world religion (although there has been some).

BTW, I'm not a Buddhist, just someone who admires Buddhism and who also admits there is good and bad in other major world religions.
Thanks for the clarification. That is very helpful.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 29,904 times
I see another problem with this one religion plan. Say the Bible is the one true Word and Christianity is the only religion. Who's interpretiation of the Bible do you follow? Even if you were to choose one Religion for all, we'll still disagree to the very end. People are gonna be different. They're gonna have different opinions and beliefs. Having us practice the same religion is taking a communist approach to our spirituality.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 AM

31 posts, read 116,329 times
People have always wanted to know why we're here and where we go after life. I hope our relatively newfound awareness of our natural world helps us to relax this need.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:54 AM

548 posts, read 2,648,322 times
[quote=pslOldTimer;408336]Prove it, and I'll join you. In fact, the first religion that can prove their claims beyond the shadow of a doubt will be the one religion, simply because with proof, no one will have a choice.

I don't know about that. One, people will still believe whatever fits their agenda. Two, people will still "choose" (if you can call it that) whatever they were indoctrinated into as children (at least 90% of them will) and Three, an most importantly perhaps...

there is proof of evolution, but there are people who don't believe it b/c of reasons one and two. They just don't let facts get in the way of their personal beliefs.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,397 times
Quote:
Growing up I was taught that the Catholic church was the "one true church", after all we did have to recite that in one of the prayers at every mass. I haev a cousin who flips out if she doesn't get to mass on Sunday because if she doesn't attend, and dies, she's bound for hell (that's what I've heard through the family).

When I was in the military in Omaha I was involved in community play and one of my fellow actors, a sweet woman who I became friends with was a Mormon. She told me about the ways of Mormonism and in essence only Mormons are headed to heaven.

Through my life I've tried most every religion, with the exception of eastern religions as I never felt comfortable with them...just something inside me that didn't feel compelled to try them.

Confusing?? Yes! There are so many religions out there, so many varied beliefs it's a wonder people say "phooey on religion"! I believe that there is only one true way to the afterlife. At the same time I've always wondered why so many religions exist and what attracts people to various religions, and even to atheism (which I will not call a religion since I was constructively corrected in another thread). I wish there was a way that everyone could know that they're headed to heaven. Some people do go to hell, I mean it does exist so some people, maybe a lot of people are there already. That is if you subscribe to the belief in hell. Do other religions outside Christianity believe in hell?
I tend to think China has it right. OK Before someone screams, I am just kidding with the China thing. Like the concept, don't like the enforcement. Anyway. Did it ever occur that it don't matter what one believes, as long as they believe. With all the religions in the world I don't think a single one has it right. Most think their's is correct due to raising with that religion.( NOT ALL, BUT most.) Now think about this for real. If you have explored other religions Good for you. As alot have not. And if you haven't Why haven't you? OK Now this might upset some, and I will apologize in advance for it. So SORRY, there that said. If you are raised with 1 religion, and taught it is correct, and you are still with this religion, Due to the others are wrong and going to hell for it. May I ask What religion you are. Because you see I know Cristian's, Catholics, And some Protestants, who believe this. But what I don't understand is, Why when other beliefs say this(I mean the ones that have no recognized church affiliation) They are considered CULTS but yet when the church itself Brainwashes people it is considered a service? Anyway that being said. I don't think the world would be better off with one religion. I mean the good thing about religion is there are so many. It brings diversity and understanding to the world as we know it. Wars are fought over religion, and yes I personally think of it as one big brain wash. But that don't mean other people shouldn't have a right to their own beliefs. Without religion the world would be a boring place. one Religion would be like one race. It would make For a very boring world. So Celebrate what we have, and love what one loves. Just remember Respect what we don't understand as well. Just because one don't agree with another, is no reason to disrespect what they believe.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I think the question about why there are so many religions is like asking why are there so many languages. We just have so many ethnic groups and cultures I think it's only natural that they would have developed their own religions as well. For centuries most of the world's cultures were separated from each other and often didn't even know each other's society even existed. There were no airplanes, no internet or televisions so there's no way that they would all happen to develop in exactly the same manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality