Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
When someone claims they don't believe in God, I wonder if...
1. They don't believe in the Sky Grandpa in the Old or New Testaments... or any religious doctrine's definition of God
2. They don't believe in anything beyond the 5 senses... & have a hard time imagining.
3. They don't realize the power of belief... & that they do believe in many illusions, they just may not be aware they are illusional.
Well I know when I say it I am saying that "I see no argument, evidence, data or reasons to lend credence to the idea that there exists a non-human intelligence responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe."

No one has ever described to me (yourself included) any arguments, evidence data OR reasons to think such an entity exists. I therefore do not think such an entity exists. Simples.

If you simply want to come on to a thread like this and redefine god to mean things like "art and love" then I have no interest in that. We already have words for these things. The words are "art" and "love". Those words are perfectly serviceable. I do not need to take the word "god" and use it to talk of those things instead... while pretending that the history and metaphysics associated with that word simply magically go away.

I have no interest in language games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
If you can truly define God, you can control God. I would not place my trust in a god that I can control.
This appears on the face of it to be a loose and unsupported claim. Why do you believe that if one can 'truly define God' (I suppose you mean understand exactly what It, He or She is) we humans can then control it. We can define storms, Volcanoes and earthquakes but we cannot control them.

I think you have to explain this as you are apparently using it as a reason why one need not and indeed should not 'define' God and indeed not defining God is a prerequisite of believing in a God. If you cannot or will not justify your claim, we must reject it as an invalid and unsupported theist claim.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
The God people believe in is just a mental construct.

There's a very good reason why God usually hates and likes all of the same things his believers hate and like. These things can vary from god to god and religion to religion, of course.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, you only put your trust in a god that controls you, right? Not to worry...There is no god except the imaginary ones invented by men.

That's not what I said. God controls the universe, yes, but He also gave man free will. We're not robots. Man has made a complete mess of this world. But thankfully, God has provided an antidote.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This appears on the face of it to be a loose and unsupported claim. Why do you believe that if one can 'truly define God' (I suppose you mean understand exactly what It, He or She is) we humans can then control it. We can define storms, Volcanoes and earthquakes but we cannot control them.

I think you have to explain this as you are apparently using it as a reason why one need not and indeed should not 'define' God and indeed not defining God is a prerequisite of believing in a God. If you cannot or will not justify your claim, we must reject it as an invalid and unsupported theist claim.

How can someone completely define a Supreme Being? Please be the first to do so, and I might consider whether what you say is valid.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I never cease to be amazed at the dishonest craftiness of theists.

I asked you to explain why being able to define a god would mean that one could control it. Instead you ask me to define a 'supreme being' and if I can't you apparently don't have to answer.

If you claim that being able to define a god enables one to control it, you must have reasons why you say that and I'm asking you to explain your reasoning. That neither you or I are actually able to produce any such meaningful definition is neither here nor there.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
That's not what I said. God controls the universe, yes, but He also gave man free will. We're not robots. Man has made a complete mess of this world. But thankfully, God has provided an antidote.
Tell me then, what do you think is the antidote?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Either this "god" of yours controls the universe or he does not. Free will, as you imply, would take the world of man out of his control thus negating your assertion of his control.

This antidote that you claim does not seem to have had much of an actual effect. What's the problem?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I never cease to be amazed at the dishonest craftiness of theists.

I asked you to explain why being able to define a god would mean that one could control it. Instead you ask me to define a 'supreme being' and if I can't you apparently don't have to answer.

If you claim that being able to define a god enables one to control it, you must have reasons why you say that and I'm asking you to explain your reasoning. That neither you or I are actually able to produce any such meaningful definition is neither here nor there.
No deceit or craftiness on my part. To be able to define a God-- to completely explain the vastness of His Being, His omnipotence, is impossible. If we were to comprehensively and definitively define the Almighty is to put yourself on the same level as God, thus, you ARE God, and thus, you are able to control Him through manipulation. The pot doesn't control the potter.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Either this "god" of yours controls the universe or he does not. Free will, as you imply, would take the world of man out of his control thus negating your assertion of his control.

This antidote that you claim does not seem to have had much of an actual effect. What's the problem?
The problem is inherent sin in man, and all the subsequent problems it has caused (wars, disrespect for other people, crime, etc.) The antidote, in my opinion, is Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality