Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2009 Which Religious Group Do You Think Is The Most Despised On The Planet On Average ?
Muslims 55 57.29%
Christians 21 21.88%
Jews 20 20.83%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:06 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,401,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess that just like every other time I've ever asked this question on this board, you will not be able to back up this statement, right? You don't actually have a list of these?
You have never once asked me a question that I did not back up. Anywhere. Ever.

This figure is actually likely higher. The figure comes from the World Christian Encyclopedia. However mine is the 2001 edition. Someone with a later edition might inform us that the figure has changed somewhat in 2014.

" As defined here, world Christianity consists of 6 major ecclesiastico-cultural blocs, divided into 300 major ecclesiastical traditions, composed of over 33,000 distinct denominations in 238 countries, these denominations themselves being composed of over 3,400,000 worship centers, "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess that just like every other time I've ever asked this question on this board, you will not be able to back up this statement, right? You don't actually have a list of these?
You always ask for a list. Why do you need it? If I wasn't sure whether or not the Book of Psalms actually existed, I wouldn't need anyone to copy and paste the entire text of the Book of Psalms and post it in order to convince me. If there was credible evidence provided, I'd be willing to accept it.

There are 42,704 words in the KJV Book of Psalms. Since most religions have names that are several words long, you're essentially asking somebody to copy and paste text significantly larger than the Book of Psalms.

This site is a list of statistics on Christianity. It has no particular axe to grind. They're just reporting the numbers. They say there are 41,000 denominations in the world. The methodology for the estimate is found here. If you'd like to send a request to the folks that do these studies asking for the list, they'll probably think it's an odd request but I expect they'll give you one for the asking. The following should give you some leads for tracking them down:

Quote:
The figures on Christian movements in this report were commissioned by the Pew Forum from the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in South Hamilton, Mass. CSGC researchers generated their estimates based in large part on figures provided by Christian denominations and organizations around the world. CSGC has obtained denominational membership
information from about 41,000 organizations worldwide.
Bear in mind that they are a Christian organization. They aren't trying to exaggerate the numbers to make Christianity look bad. They're just reporting the numbers like they see them. The number of Christian denominations sat at 41,000 as of 2011. I went ahead and did some poking around and the number went up to 45,000 as of January, 2014.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:50 AM

31,359 posts, read 22,341,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Sadly I would say Muslims seem to cop a lot more flack than any other religion on the planet. A small minority of fundamentalists and extremists has given the rest of Islam a very bad name indeed.

I know a lot of Muslims here at home and have met thousands whilst travelling around the world and apart from feeling harassed in markets have never had any bad experiences whatsoever even as a single female traveller and self avowed Atheist. All I was met with was unfailing hospitality, kindness and generosity of spirit.

Like all religions it baffles me utterly but I do genuinely believe it has been high-jacked by some nasty people with an agenda of their own and little comprehension of the scholarly attitude towards life which Islam truly is about. The Media has hardly helped. The vast majority of Muslims are nice, hard working peaceful people who pretty much want the same we all do.

Peace, love, enough financial security and political stability to get on with our lives, and the best for their kids. Yes there are terrible human rights abuses , nobody can deny that but in my experience the perpetrators are not true Muslims anyway and the people just suffer.
"Sadly I would say Muslims seem to cop a lot more flack than any other religion on the planet. A small minority of fundamentalists and extremists has given the rest of Islam a very bad name indeed. "

Obviously, a minority but still a powerful one that is a threat to every other religion and their selves.

A "small minority" that have taken over entire countries in the case of the Taliban and to a lesser extent ISIS and the Boka Haram. Terror attacks by Muslims against other Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhist, Atheist and many native religions in Africa don't seem like a "small minority". Attacks against Jews and local populations in Europe don't sound like such a "small minority" either.

"perpetrators are not true Muslims"

Don't see how they couldn't be "true Muslims" as they can just refer to the Quran and Mohammad to justify their actions. The minority extremist easily rationalizes their actions by living there lives like Mohammad, Marrying 9 year old girls and enslaving people of other religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic..._of_terrorists

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-05-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality