Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM

27 posts, read 124,576 times

Advertisements

Im not really sure where to post this, but this category seems sufficient.

I just wanted to know do people have dreams. . . out of the ordinary? I mean I've had premonitions of my family members dying in my dream, but do people have dreams about how the world ends. Or maybe they were a prisoner in a concentration camp, or even being either Adam or Eve in the garden of Eden?

I would like to know if any others either had dreams like these or know people who have. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Lately, I dream more and more that I'm online, discovering all kinds of cool things that my computer can do. Also, lately, I fall asleep in my chair and I dream that I am still reading my book, but my eyes are closed, and I'm half a sleep and I'm making up the words on the page.

One rather unique thing about me, I never dream about people or places that I have known for less than about ten years. All dreams are about people and places from a distant past.

I often dream that I am at work, and I haven't done a bloody thing in about a year, and I keep trying to look busy, wondering if anybody will notice that I've never done anything.

Is this really a great debate? Does anybody want to rebut my dream recollections?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
I'm wondering if the original poster is concerned about the veracity of dreams, whether they really can predict the future, or indicate a "past life" experience.

I occasionally do get dreams of certain people, whom I am close to, in deep trouble or in pain. And I immedicately act on them, with a phone call or an IM. They have never failed to be correct. Is it a subconscious 'connection' or premonition, or mere repetitive circumstance? I also have many 'deja vu' dreams, where I will dream about a place or a conversation, and it comes to pass that I find myself in that place, seeing exactly the same things or saying exactly the same things. I have even tried to alter my responses, to see if the course of the conversation changes - it doesn't; it always draws to the envisioned end, even if my responses are altered.

Does that make me prescient? No, I don't think so. I think that everyone has the ability to 'sense' things, or to 'see things'... whether they use it, or admit to it, or not. And as for people whom you care about, even if they are hundreds of miles away, you know them well enough to know when they have a desperate need or a desperate hurt. In some cases the emotional responses of a person indicate a predetermined culmination. As the Arabs say, when it is time for a man's destruction, his desires and needs will take him to that place of his destruction. Fate? Destiny? Pre-destination? Who's to say?

As for past lives, I have to say that I have no input on that. I have dreamed about myself in past lives, but I do not have any way of knowing if I actually was that person. I think it is possible - I think that anything is possible - but not likely. What I do know is that man uses only 10% of his brain function, and the subconscious is relatively unknown, and any assumptions about its abilities - or lack thereof - are so far unprovable.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
"when it is time for a man's destruction, his desires and needs will take him to that place of destruction". hmmmm. never heard that saying, but it sounds right.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Only if I eat too much before going to bed.

I only have nagging dreams if I'm sick. I don't place much stock in dreams in general, but for people with a lot of stress and anxiety I am sure they have some sort of meaning.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Say, I had a dream about the past; the Allies were victorious in World War I.

Oh...that's not what the OP meant, was it?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,484 times
I have had dreams where I was a black woman (I'm white) also where I was a christian nurse in Germany who was engaged to a jewish doctor during world war 1. The jewish family forbid him from marrying me and I woke up with tears streaming down my face. That was 23 years ago and I can still feel the intense sorrow. When I was pregnant with one of my daughters I dreamed often of being on a different planet. Well I dream of different planets pretty often. I once drempt of being on a space ship with aliens giving my husband and I a tour of the universe. Wierdest thing was my husband had the same dream same night.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Ann, your funny!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
As I've said on other threads I do have some vivid and wild dreams but I don't really think they mean anything if that's what the OP is asking. I've had dreams in which I was killed on a few occasions and I did keep on going after my body was dead. I recall one dream probably 30 years ago in which I was falling from a great height and I struck the ground but my body stayed there and some kind of spirit kept on going a little further under the ground and then swooped around and popped up above ground again and continued to do other activities as though nothing had happened. I just think it's my brain taking a little break and going on a joyride but I don't believe it has any significance or meaning.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Post to complete the question perhaps

quite some recurring dreams - until certain problems were solved.

but since, quite some dreams that would be termed pre-cognitive - were it not for an environment dismissing such things right away instead of listening!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality