Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:45 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Matthew 27:46 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

According to the Bible those were the last words that Jesus ever spoke before his death on the cross. They do seem very puzzling because it appears that Jesus felt betrayed at the very end of his life by God himself. It also would lead you to believe that Jesus was expecting some interaction from God that didn't take place. I don't think I've ever heard a reasonable explanation for Jesus to cry out in his last moments of life and ask God that question. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

307 posts, read 479,452 times
Jesus' last words were actually "It is accomplished." That is, his purpose for coming into the world had been fulfilled. He had given His perfect life for the sins of mankind, in replacement of that other once perfect man, Adam.
When he cried out in despair to God it was because he was still an earthly man with all the feelings and fears that being human encompasses.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Elizabeth7 wrote:
Quote:
Jesus' last words were actually "It is accomplished."
I do seem to recall a passage like that but I just read through this part of Matthew and it's not there so maybe it's in one of the other books. Your explanation for my question seems like the most reasonable answer I can think of myself although I'm not a believer. After being put through unimaginable torture and being in shock a person could say almost anything.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

According to the Bible those were the last words that Jesus ever spoke before his death on the cross. They do seem very puzzling because it appears that Jesus felt betrayed at the very end of his life by God himself. It also would lead you to believe that Jesus was expecting some interaction from God that didn't take place. I don't think I've ever heard a reasonable explanation for Jesus to cry out in his last moments of life and ask God that question. Does anyone have any ideas?
There was a book written several decades ago called "The Passover Plot," which the Church was violently opposed to. It set forth the proposition, based on what scanty historical evidence there is, that Jesus pre-planned all the events leading up to a conclusion that would be drawn after his death: that he was the Messiah. (In life, he never made such a claim publicly, as it would have been considered heresy and treason under Roman law).

It was also speculated that Jesus was closely associated with, if not actually a card-carrying member of, the Zealots. They were, to use modern terminology, a guerilla army, agitating for war with the occupying Romans--which, of course, they got in the year 66. Interestingly enough, the Zealots deliberately sought to tweak Rome by proclaiming their leader as Messiah. According to this line of speculation, Jesus' last words would have had plenty of meaning, because it would have implied that he saw his efforts to fight Rome as unsuccessful in his lifetime.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:

He felt forsaken for the very reason He came to save us... God cannot look on or tolerate sin. Jesus, dying on the cross, took all our sins upon Him, and in that final hour God turned His back on His Son and let Him die, that He could become the sacrifice for us. Jesus' experiences on this earth lets us know that He can feel along with all of us ("He was tempted in all points like we are") and He can even feel along with those who feel ultimately forsaken.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Psalm 22. He was quoting scripture...just as He'd done when facing temptation in the wilderness. This Psalm also prophesies about how the Messiah would die. It was one more clue offered by God to those who had "ears to hear."

Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
He felt forsaken for the very reason He came to save us... God cannot look on or tolerate sin. Jesus, dying on the cross, took all our sins upon Him, and in that final hour God turned His back on His Son and let Him die, that He could become the sacrifice for us. Jesus' experiences on this earth lets us know that He can feel along with all of us ("He was tempted in all points like we are") and He can even feel along with those who feel ultimately forsaken.
Excellent post Cg..Can't rep you again yet..
A good lesson here is that when we are to the point that one cares, no one understands, nowhere to turn.. Turn to Jesus, he was rejected just for a short time by His Father.. Jesus cares because He has been there, and has felt your pain..

jmho

Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM

My original question also leads to another question. Do those of you who are believers think that Jesus knew exactly what was going to happen to him ahead of time or do you think that he did expect God to save him at the last instant? I remember that Jesus states that one of his followers was going to betray him and according to the Bible that's exactly what happened so if that's the case it would seem to indicate that he could foresee the future. What do you think?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Quote:
My original question also leads to another question. Do those of you who are believers think that Jesus knew exactly what was going to happen to him ahead of time or do you think that he did expect God to save him at the last instant? I remember that Jesus states that one of his followers was going to betray him and according to the Bible that's exactly what happened so if that's the case it would seem to indicate that he could foresee the future. What do you think?
Yes! Exactly what would happen to Jesus was written in Psalm 22 hundreds of years before the crucifixion. There was a plot to kill Jesus of Nazareth. It was an inside job, planned at the highest levels...and Jesus Christ was 'in on it' from day one.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,579 times
we believe that the one who was on the cross was not jesus
but another man god made his face look like the face of jesus
and that man could be the one who Betrayed jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality