Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 PM

433 posts, read 876,307 times

Advertisements

I just feel like stating the obvious, No one is going to lose their faith or religon because of another person beliefs. People who do not believe in God are not going to be converted to christianity because of a debate over the computer. So what is the point! I think it is quiet offensive that people are being attacked for what they believe in. That is so far from being American. Is this a forum for religion or the opposite. It is hard enough for christians from different donominations to debate an issue concerning the bible let alone someone who does not even believe.

Last edited by sleepy eyes 1979; 08-10-2009 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Why do christers push their beliefs on the agnostic/atheist?

It's quite offensive for people to be attacked for what they don't believe in.

Agnostics/atheists don't care what you believe so long as you don't try to push it on us personally or via laws.
Keep your religious beliefs off of my body and out of my government and my schools.

Once you do that, there will be no discordance.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
they dont debate. for the most part we are seeing ex christians on CDF angry at their former church for not rubber stamping their new life style. without christian churches to howl about they got nothing empty as a drum. their entire act is being against something. not so with true atheists.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Default No forces you to do anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do christers push their beliefs on the agnostic/atheist?

It's quite offensive for people to be attacked for what they don't believe in.

Agnostics/atheists don't care what you believe so long as you don't try to push it on us personally or via laws.
Keep your religious beliefs off of my body and out of my government and my schools.

Once you do that, there will be no discordance.
I can not relate because I do not know how to identify with the people that you are talking about. You have "christians" and then you have christians. The people that I know all my life do not get involved with the government issues on anything remotely close to it. They will simply vote for the person who best represent real christian values. We simply preach the gospel, pass out literature and go about our business. You must be talking about the rednecks and the clan who consider themselves christians but actually stand for the exact opposite of what the gosple teaches. The rednecks are the ones organizing and trying to be a major factor in politics and government. BTW tell "your" government to remove "IN GOD WE TRUST" from the all might dollar as well as the judicial system.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,803 times
Because we are all in the same class. We are all humans and we talk about our different stuff. No problemo - just enjoy the freedom of expression and diversity of opinion.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
I just feel like stating the obvious, No one is going to lose their faith or religon because of another person beliefs. People who do not believe in God are not going to be converted to christianity because of a debate over the computer. So what is the point! I think it is quiet offensive that people are being attacked for what they believe in. That is so far from being American. Is this a forum for religion or the opposite. It is hard enough for christians from different donominations to debate an issue concerning the bible let alone someone who does not even believe.
First, this isn't the "Religion" forum it's the "Religion AND Philosophy" forum. Either way, "religion" doesn't mean "Christianity only"

Secondly, you Christians have your own safe little forum where you can argue and debate over which version of your fairytale is "legit" without (for the most part) being bothered by us heathens.

Third, this is an international forum and not everyone on here is American.

Fourth, attacking people's beliefs is quite appropriate and even quite American, if said beliefs are a threat to law, peace, knowledge, human rights, and civilization as a whole. Organized religion (and the two big ones in particular) threaten all of the above.

Quote:
The people that I know all my life do not get involved with the government issues on anything remotely close to it. They will simply vote for the person who best represent real christian values.
Hogwash. There are as many "real Christian values" as there are Christians. Instead of voting for so-called "Christian" values try voting for the (secular) values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all, that this country was founded upon. And yes, that does mean voting for same sex marriage and keeping your religion out of schools and government.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
First, this isn't the "Religion" forum it's the "Religion AND Philosophy" forum. Either way, "religion" doesn't mean "Christianity only"

Secondly, you Christians have your own safe little forum where you can argue and debate over which version of your fairytale is "legit" without (for the most part) being bothered by us heathens.

Third, this is an international forum and not everyone on here is American.

Fourth, attacking people's beliefs is quite appropriate and even quite American, if said beliefs are a threat to law, peace, knowledge, human rights, and civilization as a whole. Organized religion (and the two big ones in particular) threaten all of the above.

Hogwash. There are as many "real Christian values" as there are Christians. Instead of voting for so-called "Christian" values try voting for the (secular) values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all, that this country was founded upon. And yes, that does mean voting for same sex marriage and keeping your religion out of schools and government.
I am a christian so I speak about christianity. I do not understand why people keep saying that christians need to stop trying to force the government to adopt their beliefs. The Government on it's own decided to acknowledge the very existence of God through our money and judicial system. Evey time you spend money it is just an reminder of what you do not believe in which is fine by me. As far as this country being founded on the principles of liberty life and the pursuit of happiness for all is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Does the 'Trail of Tears" ring a bell. How about slavery. More like murder slavery and oppression to me. Did you really think before you made that statement.OMG.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
I am a christian so I speak about christianity. I do not understand why people keep saying that christians need to stop trying to force the government to adopt their beliefs. The Government on it's own decided to acknowledge the very existence of God through our money and judicial system. Evey time you spend money it is just an reminder of what you do not believe in which is fine by me. As far as this country being founded on the principles of liberty life and the pursuit of happiness for all is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Does the 'Trail of Tears" ring a bell. How about slavery. More like murder slavery and oppression to me. Did you really think before you made that statement.OMG.
Cut me a break.
We're trying to remove the McCarthy era destruction of the freedom of/from religion.
So you agree that people changed the government to include their god belief in the 1950s.
Time to go back to that old time government. A government for ALL the people.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Actually, this forum is titled "religion and philosophy". So, no, it is not just for discussion of various religions, but also other philosophies, such as atheism. I do agree that no one here should be attacked because of their beliefs or non-beliefs. But, how about you also understand the fact that not all of the 'believers' here are Christian. The term 'religious beliefs' encompasses many things and Christianity is only one of them.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 08-10-2009 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Quote:
I am a christian so I speak about christianity.
I'm an atheist, so I speak about atheism.

Quote:
I do not understand why people keep saying that christians need to stop trying to force the government to adopt their beliefs. The Government on it's own decided to acknowledge the very existence of God through our money and judicial system.
The government is made up of people, mostly, usually, ungoverned. All people who believe in freedom and liberty, regardless of belief, can and should stand in defiance of those who would take away that liberty.

The power to tell an atheist what god exists is the power to tell a Christian what god exists. All government power is a double-edged sword. The very things Christians want to do to us, can (and eventually will) be done to them once the government has the power.

Atheists who are fighting to remove governmental influence over religion are not just fighting to remove religion's political influence, but they are fighting the freedom of the religious, ironically enough. Freedom for me is freedom for thee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality