Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times

Advertisements

How could the Bible be the word of God if it is filled with contridictions, unanswered and unexplained questions, unverifiable events, questionable characters and many, many other flaws?

If the the Bible is the Word of God and the Word of God is the mind of God, as Christians believe...then... God has a confused mind, full of contridiction.

How could this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,838 times
The Bible is the word of God - without a shadow of a dobut. There is nothing in that book that can be disproved. Those that have tried - and there have been many - have failed, and some have even become so convinced that they have become christians themselves! There is a book around - called "Who moved the Stone" - read it - the guy who wrote it was anti God and thourght the same as you, but when he did his diligent research and really looked into it, he realised how accurate the Bible is. The dates, times, places - the names of Kings and Leaders - they are accurate! Archaeologists have USED the Bible - to find lost cities that were already mentioned in the Bible! Nothing in it can be disproved - on the contrary - it is proven time and time again.

There are prophecies in the Old Testament relating to the New - Jesus Christ - the place of his birth - the era. The death of Jesus and the manner of his execution - in the Old Testamnent. I have read the Bible through from cover to cover - it is not pretty - No - but it is real - real characters - people who messed up, people who failed - people who found God when they sought for him.

So you can trust the Bible. God gave us a handbook for life - and the Bible is IT. Read it with an open heart - pray and ask God to speak through this Living Word - to speak to you!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Great post jenna! I agree, the Bible is trustworthy, there are no flaws, no contradictions. God is not the author of confusion, but the devil sure is!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
The bible is not the word of God. Neither is the quran or the torah or any other religious book. They are all written by man. If they were all the word of God, they would all say the same thing. They don't.

As all religions, those books were invented by men. Those men just happened to have the persuasiveness to gain a lot of followers. All organized religion is man made, not God made.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
a few misspelling there friend. i have had this same conversation many a time ---just b4 he fell off the bar stool, i assure you--- just as vehement.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
What are you talking about? Ramblings...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
The Bible is the word of God - without a shadow of a dobut. There is nothing in that book that can be disproved. Those that have tried - and there have been many - have failed, and some have even become so convinced that they have become christians themselves! There is a book around - called "Who moved the Stone" - read it - the guy who wrote it was anti God and thourght the same as you, but when he did his diligent research and really looked into it, he realised how accurate the Bible is. The dates, times, places - the names of Kings and Leaders - they are accurate! Archaeologists have USED the Bible - to find lost cities that were already mentioned in the Bible! Nothing in it can be disproved - on the contrary - it is proven time and time again.

There are prophecies in the Old Testament relating to the New - Jesus Christ - the place of his birth - the era. The death of Jesus and the manner of his execution - in the Old Testamnent. I have read the Bible through from cover to cover - it is not pretty - No - but it is real - real characters - people who messed up, people who failed - people who found God when they sought for him.

So you can trust the Bible. God gave us a handbook for life - and the Bible is IT. Read it with an open heart - pray and ask God to speak through this Living Word - to speak to you!
So, here we go again. The only people who God speaks to are those who read the Bible? Jim Jones, David Korash, Bishops and priests who killed millions because they did not convert to Christianity all read the Living Word, as you put it. I guess God spoke to them!

Last edited by dorado0359; 02-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Great post jenna! I agree, the Bible is trustworthy, there are no flaws, no contradictions. God is not the author of confusion, but the devil sure is!!!
In my opinion, people who convince themselves or believe what people tell them about the bible being perfect and without contridictions do so because of fear.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Reading the bible was the main reason that I am an atheist today...There are too many contradictions, flaws, violence and genocides, not to mention things that are just plain impossible....If it was written by God, then God has an IQ of about 30. I have seen children write better stories.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Reading the bible was the main reason that I am an atheist today...There are too many contradictions, flaws, violence and genocides, not to mention things that are just plain impossible....If it was written by God, then God has an IQ of about 30. I have seen children write better stories.
It's interesting that people who read the bible too often or begin to take the bible literally, usually "go off the deep end" or become religious fanatics. I guess God wants to keep man at a distance.

Last edited by dorado0359; 02-04-2009 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality