Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2225 View Post
In my opinion, evolution as nothing to do with anything. My reason is it is only a theory. To my knowledge they haven't proven that this theory relevant. What strikes me odd is that people believe that this theory is relevant.
Ahhh Matt... as others have ranted here, you've apparently not been keeping up have you, young man? Relying on others' though-controlling speak will NOT enhance your own understanding of the real world.

By any rational definiiton, Evolution from species to species has , in fact, been completely, incontrovertibly demonstrated. Search for my thread a few months ago where I summarize the August '08 work of Lenski et al, Michigan St. Un. Absolute PROOF. If someone drops a rock in your lap and you say "That's NOT a rock, it's a daisy! It is, it is, IT IS!", well, what can any of us say.

There's no changing the minds of The Intransigent!

The reason this eye colopr stuff is so detestible to the Christian faith is that it, just like Lenski's pro, shows, incontrovertibly, that the mechanisms fo Evolution are simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Not true.

There is a relation shown between species...but no "proof" that one evolved into another.

There is also no fossil evidence to support it.

Wrong againg. But you can believe your fairy tale. You say it's "incontrovertible". post an example. Just one.

The catholic church has bailed on a lot of Biblical truth over the years.

And there are plenty of folks that think it's a fairy tale, too.

And likewise, we'll probably never change your mind that's made up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I notice that no-one offered an answer. Not even the Christian side! I'll give it another 12 hours and then I'll just have to interprete the consequences of this newest work!

C34: in the simplest terms, you may just have to work Evolution into your faith because at this present time:

1. The concept of evolution of species was pretty logical to begin with. It only needed the nuts and bolts methodology explained (as in: How, exactly, does it work? What would be required?)

2. The nuts & bolts have now been PROVED. Way beyond speculation. DNA sequencing has now provided The Tool of Tools to show, incontrovertibly, the progression from one species, through a continuous process of recorded mutational changes, to another. Proved. No more work required.

3. The consequences of that process will now take some time to work through, but the transitional fossil record now makes perfect sense, and to boot, we're now able to pull some DNA from some of them. It will, of course, show the EXACT progression of changes from Species A to Species B. Again, there's that nasty little word: incontrovertible. Please, look it up.

(But, I just can't resist: it means something that cannot be disproved; there's no other rational explanation; it's surely NOT a hoax, it fits all the requirements of the model hyposthesis, etc. etc.)

4. Even the Catholic Church, faced with yet another factoid (a previous one was their original insistence that the Earth was flat...), has now accepted the Fact, the Law and the Proofs of Evolution.

It's quite OK for you to insist Evolution's an embarrassment, a hoax, a fake, perpetrated on the world by tens of thousands of conspiring scientists and doctors and engineers and architects and psychiatrists and teachers (Check: I'd better change that from "tens of thousands" to "millions"). Wonder why they conspire so though?

It is. Really. Quite OK. You go ahead and believe it. We will never change your mind. That you'll have to do yourself. Frankly, whether you believe in facts or not makes no real difference to any of us; we just thought it would be good to debate the idea and show you and others the obvious evidence, but it's quite clear you'll have no part of it. Understandable.
Evolutions obvious evidence? You guys kill me. I wish I had a nickel for everytime someone stated that here. The fact is, if Evolution were really true we would be observing millions of fossils that would show us this evolution in progress. Even Darwin himself stated, if his theory were true these fossils would be found. Yet after 100 years you got nothing. Yet in the same breath, you talk about obvious evidence? Give me a break. And I do believe in facts, and historical discovery is showing us that the Bible is a Book of facts, and is being proven to be accurate. Yet those facts are being ignored, because those facts do not agree with your worldview. So what you are doing, is ignoring Biblical proven truth, and embracing secular assumptions that are not supported by the fossil record. (WHAT TRANSIONAL FOSSIL RECORD?) Please, by all means, could you present to us these transional Fossils? I can't wait to see this one. LOL. And no more of those fakes from China, please, can you show us the real thing?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
You no more look to "fact" than anyone else.

"Science" has told you something, and you refuse to believe otherwise.
Thank you, Mr. Ostrich.

Unlike you, I am willing and open to a reassessment of my views any time I'm presented with evidence. That's the beauty of how I believe...I don't have to stagnate and fester in a pool of ignorance. I'm allowed to learn and grow and improve every day.

And thank goodness for that!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
. Even Darwin himself stated, if his theory were true these fossils would be found. Yet after 100 years you got nothing. Yet in the same breath, you talk about obvious evidence? Give me a break.
Why are you still going on about Darwin? That's like comparing a Model T to a Ferrari, and saying about the Ferrari "There's no way that thing can go 200mph because this Model T can't do it!!"

Darwin only had the barest inkling of what evolution was about. We've advanced so far beyond him now that it's ludicrous that you keep bringing him up as the be-all and end-all of evolutionary theory.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Thank you, Mr. Ostrich.

Unlike you, I am willing and open to a reassessment of my views any time I'm presented with evidence. That's the beauty of how I believe...I don't have to stagnate and fester in a pool of ignorance. I'm allowed to learn and grow and improve every day.

And thank goodness for that!
Why haven't you looked at the evidence against evolution, then?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Campbell, I'm afraid that everyday what you believe in crumbles just a bit more. Fewer and fewer people believe in the "facts" of the bible and more and more are realizing that they are not facts at all. How long will you bury your head and blind yourself to what is real?...I suspect, in fact I'm quite sure that you are willfully blind to anything that contradicts your revered book, no matter how well proven. Soon folks like you will be very lonely clinging to your outdated myths.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Why haven't you looked at the evidence against evolution, then?
What evidence against evolution....Show me...I'll look.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Campbell, I'm afraid that everyday what you believe in crumbles just a bit more. Fewer and fewer people believe in the "facts" of the bible and more and more are realizing that they are not facts at all. How long will you bury your head and blind yourself to what is real?...I suspect, in fact I'm quite sure that you are willfully blind to anything that contradicts your revered book, no matter how well proven. Soon folks like you will be very lonely clinging to your outdated myths.

How long are you going to cling to a theory that has no basis in truth?

Every day archaeology verifies many Biblical claims. For years and years they doubted the existence of the Hittites...until their capital city was discovered.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
How long are you going to cling to a theory that has no basis in truth?

Every day archaeology verifies many Biblical claims. For years and years they doubted the existence of the Hittites...until their capital city was discovered.
So what? I didn't say there was no historical facts in the bible, but a few hits certainly doesn't make the entire bible truth...Weed out the mythology and the bible would be a pretty thin book.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Sorry....don't see any mythology in it. Show me some, will you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality