Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times

Advertisements

If it does exist,what does hell look like? It is most commonly said to be a hot,burning place while in other books it is a frozen underground lair with Satan hanging upside down.Some people say that our existence is actually taking place in hell,what's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
In my opinion it does not exist and was invented to scare people into behaving. That has obviously not worked in my case.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaguy View Post
in my opinion it does not exist and was invented to scare people into behaving. That has obviously not worked in my case.
p r e c i s e l y !!!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If it does exist,what does hell look like? It is most commonly said to be a hot,burning place while in other books it is a frozen underground lair with Satan hanging upside down.Some people say that our existence is actually taking place in hell,what's your opinion?

My feeling is that while there is no actual place called hell where people are tormented.....when we all die we are natually drawn to other spirits like ourselves...not much different than life on earth. People who are alike tend to group together since they feel more comfortable around others like them.

So imagine what it would be like in the spirit world where there are no secrets. If you're a misserable, selfish and evil person....guess what those around you are going to be like ? Yup, just like you. Imagine what living in those conditions would be like where there are few if any good qualities in any of the spirits....one could maybe call that "hell" for lack of a better name. I would think that far from being a warm or hot place it would actually be a avery cold and foreboding place....not at all like the hot place the bible describes it as.

It would be important to note that there would be many places from slightly better than hell all the way to hundreds if not thousands of levels of heaven. It just makes sense if you look at the world around you know. People group with others of similar values, traits, skill levels, income levels etc...When you die nothing matters except what kind of person you were. Good and kind or nasty and evil....and of course a whole lot of people inbetween. Better like yourself because you'll be around people just like you are now....good or bad.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
My feeling is that while there is no actual place called hell where people are tormented.....when we all die we are natually drawn to other spirits like ourselves...not much different than life on earth. People who are alike tend to group together since they feel more comfortable around others like them.

So imagine what it would be like in the spirit world where there are no secrets. If you're a misserable, selfish and evil person....guess what those around you are going to be like ? Yup, just like you. Imagine what living in those conditions would be like where there are few if any good qualities in any of the spirits....one could maybe call that "hell" for lack of a better name. I would think that far from being a warm or hot place it would actually be a avery cold and foreboding place....not at all like the hot place the bible describes it as.

It would be important to note that there would be many places from slightly better than hell all the way to hundreds if not thousands of levels of heaven. It just makes sense if you look at the world around you know. People group with others of similar values, traits, skill levels, income levels etc...When you die nothing matters except what kind of person you were. Good and kind or nasty and evil....and of course a whole lot of people inbetween. Better like yourself because you'll be around people just like you are now....good or bad.
It sounds like you've been reading the Divine Comedy by Dante.The levels of hell include limbo and purgatory,etc...which to some is a common view.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I have usually seen that expletive with an exclamation mark. And yes, I do believe in hell, have been there several times as a child, being forced against my will to listen to some jerk givin' a sermon. As far as hell is concerned, and you may ask any of the nomadic roaving groups who happened upon my doorstep, "It is far better to give than receive!" and I give freely.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I have usually seen that expletive with an exclamation mark. And yes, I do believe in hell, have been there several times as a child, being forced against my will to listen to some jerk givin' a sermon. As far as hell is concerned, and you may ask any of the nomadic roaving groups who happened upon my doorstep, "It is far better to give than receive!" and I give freely.
Nice response!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
jasper1372 wrote:
Quote:
Could you elaborate a little bit about how such a situation could occur? It sounds like you're saying that if I'm a mean hateful guy that somehow I'm going to have to hang around with others like myself. That would seem to suggest that everyone is going to the same spiritual destination when they die and that we're going to self segregate into little groups of like minded souls. The kinder, gentler souls like Bush Sr. will hang out with his newfound friends while the shotgun toting Dick Cheney (aka Dr. Evil) will find an appropriate group of sidekicks. Do you realize how far fetched all of this sounds? No offense intended, but how can I really take your statement seriously?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
jasper1372 wrote:

Could you elaborate a little bit about how such a situation could occur? It sounds like you're saying that if I'm a mean hateful guy that somehow I'm going to have to hang around with others like myself. That would seem to suggest that everyone is going to the same spiritual destination when they die and that we're going to self segregate into little groups of like minded souls. The kinder, gentler souls like Bush Sr. will hang out with his newfound friends while the shotgun toting Dick Cheney (aka Dr. Evil) will find an appropriate group of sidekicks. Do you realize how far fetched all of this sounds? No offense intended, but how can I really take your statement seriously?
Why couldn't this happen,there are cliques in school so what would be the difference.If heaven exists why not hell?It's kind of an all or nothing. If earth is hell when you die then you'd go to heaven and hang with your peers that you have alot in common with.If there is no hell then why is there a heaven.Wouldn't your body just be a decaying lump in a buried box?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
jasper1372 wrote:

To me this just sounds like common sense. As I mentioned in my post, if you look around your neighborhood you're most likely going to see people who resemble (not necessarily physically) you. If you drive around LA you're not likely going to see a mansion with a pool in the poor section of town. I assume the wealthy person could well buy a lot in the poor section of town and build such mansion....but he's not likely to feel very comfortable in that area. The same would apply to the person of more modest means who probably doesn't have much in common with the wealthy.

On earth there may be some intragration due to the fact that people can fool you, lie to you, be something they aren't in fact, but if in the hereafter things become much more "liquid" due to the fact that there are no longer any physical constraints on movement etc....and spirits will always find their appropriate level where they feel most comfortable around those of like mind.

In your response MontanaGuy you asked if I thought if you were a mean, hateful guy would you be hanging around other mean and hateful guys. My thought would be, yes, you will. Let's try to look at this logically. Just so you don't think I'm picking on you :-), for this example I'll be the mean, hateful guy. I'm a nasty sort, always pissed about something or another. You're a really nice, optomistic and helpful type of guy. Be honest...how happy are either of us going to be hanging around each other ? My pissy nature is going to depress you, and your happiness and optomism is only going to irritate me....why the hell are you smiling all the time for christ sake...the world sucks...why can't you understand that ?

How long will it be until you and/or I decide to move on to an area where there are others who understand and can relate to us better....who are more like us. Doesn't that really just make sense ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality