Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Born and raised in New Orleans, studied Afro Cuban drumming, worked as a journalist in the Miami area, three trips to Haiti, three to Cuba, live a few miles from the headquarters of the National African Religion Congress who I have spoken with on numerous occasions because on my bucket list is producing a documentary on the African diaspora through the perspective of African religious music in Brazil, Cuba, Haiti the U.S. and the Puerto Rico. And just as a small piece of verification, I've posted a picture of my Itotele given to me and signed by my Santero friends in Cuba a Twitter account...https://twitter.com/TheWiseWino

Now getting back to New Orleans. There is one addendum that I need to make. When I refer to the derivative nature of New Orleans Voodoo, I am speaking solely of the "indigenous" variety, over the years there has been a marked influx of Cuban refugees who may be practicing a more authentic version and my sources indicate since my last comment that there have been an increasing number of converts and very serious practitioners. But we were speaking, at least I was, from a historical perspective.

Chao.
Very cool!

My primary disagreement is in your previous post: I did not (intend to) say that Vodou derives from Roman Catholicism. I'll admit that my wording was a quite sloppy, but in my defense, it was 3:00 AM and 20 degrees outside , my brain was melting!

What I was attempting to point out was that siameseifyoupls seemed to be attempting to dismiss Catholic Christianity's influence on Louisiana Vodou. Regardless of how many people have jettisoned the practices, it did have a significant influence on how the religion was practiced, even if it was only for a brief period historically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Very cool!

My primary disagreement is in your previous post: I did not (intend to) say that Vodou derives from Roman Catholicism. I'll admit that my wording was a quite sloppy, but in my defense, it was 3:00 AM and 20 degrees outside , my brain was melting!

Been there and done dumbed that. I and I am glad that I didn't chase you away from the conversation. Despite my experiences I am far from an expert and my general antipathy of all religions doesn't help a lot.

Quote:
What I was attempting to point out was that siameseifyoupls seemed to be attempting to dismiss Catholic Christianity's influence on Louisiana Vodou. Regardless of how many people have jettisoned the practices, it did have a significant influence on how the religion was practiced, even if it was only for a brief period historically.
I think that it would be foolish to argue otherwise... hmm have I been foolish...perhaps.

Goodman Theatre Education Santeria: The Intersection of Catholicism and African Traditional Religions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality