Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,325,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Humans are NOT special. We are one planet out of trillions and trillions in this universe. Do you think that JC is going to visit every single other planet with intelligent life on it too?

This point of view seems to assume that human beings are the most important species in the whole univere. I doubt that.
Ah . . . I begin to see your confusion. Jesus is the HUMAN embodiment of God (for our species and planet . . . not the whole universe). It is psychologically understandable (and probably unavoidable) to interpret the creation story in such ego-centric (species-centric) terms. Of course . . . it is irrelevant . . . since ALL will become obvious eventually. I suspect there have to be other incarnations of God consciousness in other species in other solar systems similarly ill-equipped spiritually . . . probably a common failing of carnal versions of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,138,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Because the bible says it.
Because Jesus claimed it.
Because the prophets fortold it.
Because the disciples are witnesses of him.

It is possible because God created man in his image. So it was not difficult for him to come in his own image to earth.
OK this is more of the responseI was looking for, because it is getting into what is actually making people believe these stories.

The Bible says it: This is debatable. Also, to me, the Bible is not totally credible because of the traslations and re-wording that are known to have happened with it. And even the original text should not be taken as doctrine. Why do people put 100% trust in the Bible anyway? There are plenty of other books out there just like it.

Jesus claimed it: I have heard lots of people claim to be God. Or claim to be attune to God, etc. What makes Jesus' claim unique?

The prophets foretold it: Do you have any other info on this? And what was the EXACT wording of what they foretold? Which prophets were these? What give them crebabilty beyong other prophets that foretell different things?

The disciples are witnesses of him: What exactly did they witness to prove that JC was God? Maybe what they witnessed in JC was an incredibly powerful mystic. But not God.

These reasons are getting closer to the truth. There there has gotta be more to it than this. Where is the big evidence?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah . . . I begin to see your confusion. Jesus is the HUMAN embodiment of God (for our species and planet . . . not the whole universe). It is psychologically understandable (and probably unavoidable) to interpret the creation story in such ego-centric (species-centric) terms. Of course . . . it is irrelevant . . . since ALL will become obvious eventually. I suspect there have to be other incarnations of God consciousness in other species in other solar systems similarly ill-equipped spiritually . . . probably a common failing of carnal versions of life.
I don't see what makes JC different than others. I don't see what makes Christianity any more true than other paths.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM

998 posts, read 1,334,890 times
Quote:
I don't see what makes JC different than others. I don't see what makes Christianity any more true than other paths.
God there is none like Him.
He is not like His creations

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Sorry...I don't believe that for a second.

Well, do some research and get back to me. I don't believe I'm typing on a computer either, but lo and behold here I am!

Highly evolved humans have been able to vibrate at a level by which they can manifest bodies - sometimes simultaneously - in places thousands of miles apart from one another.

Even raising oneself or another from the dead is not a miracle. It's just a mastery of physics at the highest level.

Again. It doesn't take a god to do that. what Jesus taught us was that we are capable of achieving the same.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
God there is none like Him.
He is not like His creations

What did he create? Everything huh...........? What makes you think this?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,325,748 times
Quote:
OK this is more of the responseI was looking for, because it is getting into what is actually making people believe these stories.
Ah . . . you want fundies to attack . . . not real intellects equipped to refute your preferred alternative nonsense . . . (probably Islamic). Face it . . . Jesus is it . . . there is far too much to confirm after 2000+ years. You ask which prophets to believe . . . the ones who have been RIGHT . . . and they overwhelmingly point to Jesus.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,084,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, do some research and get back to me. I don't believe I'm typing on a computer either, but lo and behold here I am!

Highly evolved humans have been able to vibrate at a level by which they can manifest bodies - sometimes simultaneously - in places thousands of miles apart from one another.

Even raising oneself or another from the dead is not a miracle. It's just a mastery of physics at the highest level.

Again. It doesn't take a god to do that. what Jesus taught us was that we are capable of achieving the same.

You should cook those 'shrooms before you eat 'em.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,058 times
I've never been high in my life.

Thanks for the blind accusation. Always the last resort.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah . . . you want fundies to attack . . . not real intellects equipped to refute your preferred alternative nonsense . . . (probably Islamic). Face it . . . Jesus is it . . . there is far too much to confirm after 2000+ years. You ask which prophets to believe . . . the ones who have been RIGHT . . . and they overwhelmingly point to Jesus.
No it's isn't that.

You are supplying a lot of great info about the details of the belief system, and your info is great.

But what I am curious about is simply WHY people believe it.

You are sharing a lot of interesitng ideas. But I am just wondering what exactly makes people think it's true.

As for the prophets being right. I could say the same about some Mayan and Native American prophets. What makes the biblical prophets unique among others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality