Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Its a shame that everyone has to make fun of Christians, and they get a free pass all the time!

Try that with Muslims, (they cut off your heads), or Jews, (they have the antijewish defemation league), or any other religion and you will get your heads handed to you...(some in the literal sense!).

Easter happens to fall in with a pagan ritual of renewing the Earth, (Mother Earth to wiccans), and the fertility rites of a new beginning. Since rabbits multiply fast, (and boy, if you ever raised them critters, you would know, they DO!), so, thats another addition to the pagan thought process of fertility.

Zombie Jesus day? All I have to say is, you had better be right, because if your not, then your soul is going to be in eternal jeapordy, and hell is not a pleasant place to spend the rest of eternity.

Myself, I am glad that I am a Christian and am Saved. At least I have the promise of being with the LORD forever...and thats more than anyone can give me on this planet!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
I know all about the pagan rituals considering a large part of my family are Celtic Pagans. Regarding the Zombie Jesus Day... well... considering I don't believe my soul will continue after my death being with the 'lord' isn't exactly the best argument to talk me into being 'saved'. It's just a funny phase we use in our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:54 PM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
does anyone else find it interesting that Christian holidays keep occurring the same time as pagan holidays?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
It makes sense if you think about it. Pagan traditions already existed, with their symbols and trappings and timing. Christianity needed converts, so they appropriated those holidays and overlaid them with their own mythology. This reduced resistance to conversion of pagans.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
So why are there no Christian holidays around June and September 20th?

June could really use a good holiday anyway since it doesn't have one. Maybe on June 20th we could celebrate Jesus' miracles that were documented. Everyone would cover their windows all day to remember the cool darkness of winter, and eat tomato dishes to celebrate the Summer's beginning as the the first tomatoes of the season ripen. Then everyone has a barbeque just after sundown - grilled fish and the one loaf of bread to feed everyone, the kids go to sleep, and then this big Beaver -- NO, this big Polar Bear decends from the Arctic Circle to escape the 24 hour daylight and bring frozen treats to all the good kids, as well as slip-n-slides, blow up pools, and other swimming paraphernalia. The kids pretend to "walk on water" with their slip-n-slides, and everyone removes the covers from their windows to let in light and symbolize the healing of the blind man.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Just like Christmas, Easter has no religious meaning to me. Just a day my kids hunt eggs and we have a nice meal.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know all about the pagan rituals considering a large part of my family are Celtic Pagans. Regarding the Zombie Jesus Day... well... considering I don't believe my soul will continue after my death being with the 'lord' isn't exactly the best argument to talk me into being 'saved'. It's just a funny phase we use in our family.
I thought we were the only ones who called it Zombie Jesus Day! lol In fact this year my husband and I had to start being more careful about calling it "easter" again after years of saying 'Zombie Jesus Day' because we don't want our 5 year old to parrot the phrase to her very christian grandmother.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Good Friday... could be awesome as well ... you know ...

(a memory perhaps..)

YouTube - Mount Athos

this is intended for everyone to enjoy!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Just like Christmas, Easter has no religious meaning to me. Just a day my kids hunt eggs and we have a nice meal.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
This is a great outline of why I don't celebrate Easter as a religious holiday. It is man-made, not biblical, to set aside a day once a year to remember His resurrection. We are to remember His death, burial, and resurrection every time we partake of the Lord's Supper, which we have an example that it was done on Sundays.

Topical Sermons - Easter: A Historical And Biblical Perspective

ETA: I just wanted to add, if others want to celebrate Easter as a religious holiday, I do not judge it!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
This is a great outline of why I don't celebrate Easter as a religious holiday. It is man-made, not biblical, to set aside a day once a year to remember His resurrection. We are to remember His death, burial, and resurrection every time we partake of the Lord's Supper, which we have an example that it was done on Sundays.

Topical Sermons - Easter: A Historical And Biblical Perspective

ETA: I just wanted to add, if others want to celebrate Easter as a religious holiday, I do not judge it!
We should remember His death, burial and resurrection, everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality