Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Crazy questions but seeing you never bothered to answer mine obviously you do not know, here is your pat answer
Actually...didn't mean to ignore it...I guess my question is that I don't really know why the YEC theory was rejected until the 17th century. I don't know that we can say it was.

Quote:
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, let not this one thing be hidden from you, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
Thus by fundie logic:

6034 x 365 x 1000 = 2,202,410,000 days

2,202,410,000/365 = 6,034,000 years

OR

6034/1000 = 6 days so it all happened on 18 April 2008

There you wanted a biblical answer, I spin it anyway I want.

But of course that is all BS is it not?
Actually....that's one theory. There are a few others to help spin it to gel with the millions of years old stuff. I personally just don't see that you can get that from reading the Bible.

Quote:
Moon rocks show age of 4.5Bn years thus the earth must be at least the same age or older.
The moon also gets something like an inch farther away from the earth every year. Assuming that they are the same age...where was the moon 4 billion years ago?

There are limiting factors. That's just one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The moon also gets something like an inch farther away from the earth every year. Assuming that they are the same age...where was the moon 4 billion years ago?

There are limiting factors. That's just one of them.
Seen this one spun before. Now go google the distance from the earth to the moon and then divide it by the inch or so it moves away.

But of course you would have to do some research as the movement between two gravitational masses is not necessarily linear - simple logic dictates that the closer they are, the slower they would move away from each other initially if what is causing the movement away is caused by centrifugal effect started way back when. Thus we likely will have some logarithmic scale of movement and based on the Apollo missions of the '70s, I doubt we now have enough data to extrapolate the movement from in prehistory or since 1970's to future time.

Daytime yourside, you do the research and do the math.

See all is not as it seems.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Many believe that the moon was created due to a collision between the earth and a planet that was smaller very early in the history of the earth. Gravity shaped the earth and newly created moon into spheres and the moon was much closer to the earth than it is today. As it moves further away from the earth the gravitational force is not as strong and the distance between the two bodies is likely increasing at an accelerated rate. There are other theories but that's the most convincing one to most scientists. Of course this is impossible given the young earth creationists time scale and the Bible says that God just created it during those very busy six days.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
kdbrich wrote:

Many believe that the moon was created due to a collision between the earth and a planet that was smaller very early in the history of the earth. Gravity shaped the earth and newly created moon into spheres and the moon was much closer to the earth than it is today. As it moves further away from the earth the gravitational force is not as strong and the distance between the two bodies is likely increasing at an accelerated rate. There are other theories but that's the most convincing one to most scientists. Of course this is impossible given the young earth creationists time scale and the Bible says that God just created it during those very busy six days.

Where's the crater?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Where's the crater?
We're talking about a collision that would dwarf any asteroid striking the earth that would have left a crater. There wouldn't be a crater for an event of this magnitude. On documentaries I've seen they've suggested that the earth was probably still in a mostly molten state and was struck by something about the size of Mars. The two bodies would have for the most part joined but the force of the collision would have sent out large amounts of molten material that would eventually become the moon as gravity shaped it into a sphere. The earth would also have increased in size as it was reshaped by this massive event. Craters are left by bodies in space that may only be a few kilometers across when they strike the earth. That is something very different.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 PM

so it was likely billions of years old then...around the time the earth formed?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
so it was likely billions of years old then...around the time the earth formed?
Yes, that's my understanding of it. There are other theories but this one seems to make the most sense. When the solar system was much younger scientists believe that gravity was causing many collisions such as this one and the loose material that was orbiting the sun tended to gather into fewer and larger bodies of material. If you look at the surface of the moon you'll notice that it's covered with impact craters but I don't know that we've ever actually witnessed one of them being created. Because the moon doesn't tend to change and cover those craters the way the earth does we can still see the evidence of countless bits of material that struck it's surface billions of years ago.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
100 million years ago the moon was about 4 1/2 % closer to the earth, providing the rate that it is moving away hasn't changed, which is doubtful in my opinion. Today the distance from the center of the earth to the center of the moon is 384,404 Kilometers....One billion years ago it would have been 346,404 kilometers away allowing for today's rate of change, (3.8 meters per hundred years) Both the earth and moon have been dated at 4.5 billion years, but I think that may not be final. Science may yet find older rocks.

Please yell at me if my math is wrong...Not my best subject.

Several mechanisms have been suggested for the Moon's formation. The formation of the Moon is believed to have occurred 4.527 ± 0.010 billion years ago, about 30–50 million years after the origin of the Solar System.

The prevailing hypothesis today is that the Earth–Moon system formed as a result of a giant impact. A Mars-sized body (labelled "Theia") is believed to have hit the proto-Earth, blasting sufficient material into orbit around the proto-Earth to form the Moon through accretion

Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
100 million years ago the moon was about 4 1/2 % closer to the earth, providing the rate that it is moving away hasn't changed, which is doubtful in my opinion. Today the distance from the center of the earth to the center of the moon is 384,404 Kilometers....One billion years ago it would have been 346,404 kilometers away allowing for today's rate of change, (3.8 meters per hundred years) Both the earth and moon have been dated at 4.5 billion years, but I think that may not be final. Science may yet find older rocks.

Please yell at me if my math is wrong...Not my best subject.

Several mechanisms have been suggested for the Moon's formation. The formation of the Moon is believed to have occurred 4.527 ± 0.010 billion years ago, about 30–50 million years after the origin of the Solar System.

The prevailing hypothesis today is that the Earth–Moon system formed as a result of a giant impact. A Mars-sized body (labelled "Theia") is believed to have hit the proto-Earth, blasting sufficient material into orbit around the proto-Earth to form the Moon through accretion

Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess you used linear separation of the two? I am guessing w/o knowing much of astral bodies that the initial gravitational pull verses the centrifical effect, the movement was more gradual earlier on. Based on the scenario you described, which I agree with, once the clump was captured by the gravitational effect of the earth, the clump having its own gravity, it stands to reason the two would "pull" toward one another. The centrifical effect, throwing it into an orbit would cancel out the attraction and equilibrium found.

I wonder what effect, if any, we may have seen if the moon itself rotated. Maybe by now we would have had a real star wars.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Thanks - looks interesting
Also, these are worth saving.

History of the Collapse of Flood Geology and a Young Earth

Paper - Michael Roberts: Genesis and Geology Unearthed History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality