Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
That's exactly why I was surprised to see, in the most recent poll for 'What new forums should be created?', a ballot selection for a Religion forum. In my opinion that's an even more explosive hot topic than Politics! Having an entire forum devoted to Religion would probably end up requiring its very own fulltime moderator just to keep things civil.
Amen to that. However, although some of the posts are hateful and sarcastic, notice there are no threats of violence or vulgar, offensive language. Let's keep it that way and let's start the religion forum!!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
LDS, I don't mean to start a controversy but you might want to do careful research. . . Try reading "Under The Banner of Heaven" by John Krakauer.
I agree, Ducksburg. Research EVERYTHING. I hate to sound like a broken record but this book I've been recommending provides some scientific evidence and lots of information about questions you may have concerning what's right for you. Would you like for me to send it to you, as well as a Bible? Just leave me a private message with your address, and I'll be glad to do that.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I think I'll read it.Jesus,I hope that this book is interesting enough.
It's very interesting and easy to read. It's just a matter-of-fact, no-nonsense, common sense approach to getting to the bottom of a lot of questions we all have about different things to do with religion.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
I think I'll read it.Jesus,I hope that this book is interesting enough.
Oops, I think I got ahead of myself. I was talking about Mark Cahill's book, "One Heartbeat Away", which is what I would like to send to you.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:57 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,263,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Ok I don't want to get off topic here but I just get so annoyed when ignorant people speak of things they know nothing of. Ya go read some book by an anti!!!! Heretical???? Well um that could be said of just about any church.
Don't wanna start a controversy either just don't say things you know nothing about.
Wow, now that is ugly. Why so angry. Who are you addressing as ignorant and speaking of things they know nothing about. I wouldn't speak if I didn't know quite a bit actually. . What could be said about "just about any church?"

Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Now that I'm not ranting anymore, some people have gotten bored, it seems. So let me see what I can do about that. I promised some excerpts, and here they are:

Mark Cahill on Evolution:
"Everything in the fossil record appears fully formed and true to its own kind. There are no creatures with partially formed skeletons, or partial fins or beaks. Among the billions of fossils found, we don't see one single example of the transitional forms Darwin said must exist if his theory of evolution were true." "It is conclusive: There is no evidence in the fossil record for macroevolution-that is, for one species changing to another. Evolutionists try to defend the lack of transitional forms by claiming that species evolved so rapidly that they left no fossil record. But they also tell us that no one can see evolution taking place today because it occurs too slowly. So, in reality - whether it is supposedly too fast or too slow to notice - there is no fossil evidence of macroevolution. So no one can actually SEE any evidence of evolution anywhere! Can we call it the "fact" of evolution with no evidence to back it up? That doesn't even make for a very good theory!"

Compelling, isn't it? I have no Bible verses to go along with this....the Bible doesn't exactly address this issue, since Darwin was a MAN who lived only 150years ago. More intriguing Bible verses and excerpts to follow. Have a great day!!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Many consider LDS a cult and that is one of the reasons Romney's run for President is controversial. While he supposedly holds many conservative values, although he did flip-flop on abortion, his religious affiliation is troubling for many.

While it is true the mainstream Mormon's hold many so-called "family-values" if one digs deep there are a lot of problems with this "religion."

I would not be comfortable voting for someone who follows LDS for President.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,146,867 times
Quote:
Many consider LDS a cult and that is one of the reasons Romney's run for President is controversial. While he supposedly holds many conservative values, although he did flip-flop on abortion, his religious affiliation is troubling for many.

While it is true the mainstream Mormon's hold many so-called "family-values" if one digs deep there are a lot of problems with this "religion."

I would not be comfortable voting for someone who follows LDS for President.
Well I'm sorry for getting angry spunky. But it really makes my blood boil when people who know nothing about the LDS church (and it appears you don't despite what you say) spew out falsehoods. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm just tired of people going around spreading lies about the LDS church. Sorry for going off topic.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Well I'm sorry for getting angry spunky. But it really makes my blood boil when people who know nothing about the LDS church (and it appears you don't despite what you say) spew out falsehoods. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm just tired of people going around spreading lies about the LDS church. Sorry for going off topic.
No problem.
I don't believe I was "spewing" anything, in fact initially all I said was to be careful and suggested a book to read regarding LDS. However the one and only book one should follow and base ones life on is the Bible.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,421,524 times
Quote:
No problem.
However the one and only book one should follow and base ones life on is the Bible.
AMEN! I believe it holds all the answers to the question people are asking. I am not saying other books aren't good, but to me the Bible is the best resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality