Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The article said that "none religious" were growing, not atheism, so the OP title was a little innaccurate. More and more people are leaving Christianity and either joining another religion or becoming deists. Most none religious people are still theists, being that they believe in some kind of GOD, but are not atheists.

While I do believe that the amount of atheists in America is growing, I think that a good portion of these people always were atheists, and are only recently being able to say it out loud, WHICH IS GOOD. No one should have to feel affraid to say what they do or do not believe in.
Actually you could very well be correct, especially with your last statement about Atheists coming out of the closet...A&As seem to be over represented here on this forum, when actually by statistics we should be a very tiny minority....It causes me to wonder how many of us are as open about our non belief if life as we are here under the cover of anonymity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually I think you are wrong. The secular side has nothing to do with it. Religion is imploding upon itself, as more and more of the religious are realizing that what they have been taught is make believe, and they are tired of playing the game.
The same thing has happened here and in Europe, and there has been no terrible actions taken by the religious, so I don't expect to see any in the US... The strongly indoctrinated will probably remain for quite some time but as new generations come on the scene I think the attrition will continue.
Next time read what I said, not what someone else said. Religion won't have any power to fight back. There have always been many elements within secularism that have wanted to do away with religion, but the massive support all these centuries down to decades have prevented it. The biblical prophecy in Revelation which depicts modern day religion as a Harlot riding the back of a scarlet coloured wild beast. The beast representing the history of man rule or government. There should be no arguement or debate that religion has prostituted herself with politicians within all countries to gain special favours, obtain wealth, social standing, etc. In turn government has always gotten something out of this same disgusting union as well. But that'll all change soon.

You say religion will implode on itself. It has to an extant, but that would never be quite enough to totally get rid of it. It's perfectly true that here in secularist Europe religion is a mere trickle of what it use to be, yet the majority are secularists, hypocritically still use the churches for weddings, funnerals, holiday events, etc. In fact most churches here are supported by the state (tax payers), because the poor donations (results of little to no attendance) don't exactly cover the costs. But there will come a time when God will put the idea into the hearts of earth's politicians/militaries to finish off religion once and for all. And let's be honest here, it's not just the much hated Christendom alone for which the main focus of your side's major personal hatred here at C-D is constantly being directed at, that will be wiped out, it's also Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Shintoism, Shammanism, etc will likewise suffer the same fate. It will be a major worldwide event. With the exception of names, terminology, etc, all those seemingly different religious beliefs are in actuality identical to each other.
BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Revelation 17:15-18;

In that verse it states that the ride is over and government (scarlet beast) turns on it's former lover. Notice she is made stripped and naked first. That means religion is first and foremost to be openly exposed for what she really is and has done. How this plays out in the world's media, I don't know. Then the verses say that her fleshy parts are eaten, which only means all banking, business assets are seized, church properties confiscated, etc. It mentioned how by her spiritistic practice all nation are/were mislead which only shows her religious influence is finally terminated for good. She is spoken of as having a kingdom over the kings of the earth. This isn't hard to understand either because for centuries now that has been true, she has had a major influence over many leaders throughout the earth. She's even been known to compromise and change her stance and position on many of her core beliefs in order to keep her power, wealth, prestige, etc, but that is now gone. And if you think the governments will never have the testosterone to do something like that, you are correct. That's why the verse says and I quote: "For God has put it into their own heart to carry out his own purpose by acting in harmony in surrendering their royal power and authority to the beast, until the prophetic word (intentions and promises) of God shall be fullfilled." They (politicians, military, police, etc won't have control over their actions for destroying this world's religions, even in the seemingly almighty theocratic islamic countries.
The woman is said to be riding on the back of a scarlet coloured wild beast. This scarlet beast is a mirror image of the 7 headed wild beast (which only is representative of all man rule and specifically the 7 major world powers which have controlled major world scenes down to this day). It is said to spring from the seventh head (or world power) the last one being USA/Britain which gave the U.N. it's life. It is the United Nations for which the above scripture indicates that at some historical point in the future, all world governments surrender their power and authority over to this one world government. It'll be interesting how it all plays out and what events lead up to this, but there is no doubt that secular governments are failures at running our world. This surrendering of all world sovereignties will be viewed as a last ditch effort to patch and hold together the secular/financial/environmental/social failure of what remains of this world's rulers.

The reason for the title "Babylon the Great" is that the destruction will be done in a similiar manner of how Perian King Cyrus conquered the literal Babylonian empire by diverting the waters of the Eurphrates river upstream which had a devastating effects on the cities defenses of a system of waterways and canals. Notice that the verses above defined what the waters were that this Harlot sits upon. "And the Angel further said to me, The waters that you observed, where the Harlot is seated, are races and multitudes and nations and dialects (languages)" As you've so eloquently have continually reminded us, the support for churches is drying up, it's imploding on itself.

I have a feeling many will remember some of these threads when things actually unfold. Still, you'd think the content of the above scripture were written by an athesist.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
The article said that "none religious" were growing, not atheism, so the OP title was a little innaccurate. More and more people are leaving Christianity and either joining another religion or becoming deists. Most none religious people are still theists, being that they believe in some kind of GOD, but are not atheists.
I would say this is true. People are leaving religion, but not replacing it with this Atheistic militant religion espoused by the Most right Reverend Richard Dawkins. Most want nothing to do with anything organized because they are apathetic in general with everything. Pursuing life and just getting by financially and taking care of their families is a number one priority. Actually becomming a militant and devoting much time and effort into prosyletizing others as is done here is something the common folk have no interest in or stomach for. Seriously, they only want what they would consider a normal life, not the trading or one religious philosophy for another.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually you could very well be correct, especially with your last statement about Atheists coming out of the closet...A&As seem to be over represented here on this forum, when actually by statistics we should be a very tiny minority....It causes me to wonder how many of us are as open about our non belief if life as we are here under the cover of anonymity.
Hey, George Bush finally came out of the closet and admitted he is one of you. I'm sure others will follow. "Take gentle care" of him and be forgiving !!!

Video - George Bush: Bible is not literally true, Evolution is Fact - tangle.com

Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good news! More and more atheists are being open about their lack of belief in a god. Even in places like South Carolina!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us...ef=todayspaper
Well the Bible states shortly before Christ returns there will be a great falling away from the faith, so it would appear the Bible is right again. And another sign of Christ soon return is the return of the Jews to Israel and Jerusalem. So this falling away from God would go hand in hand with the Jewish people returning to Israel in the last days. And for the Christian, that is good news.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I would say this is true. People are leaving religion, but not replacing it with this Atheistic militant religion espoused by the Most right Reverend Richard Dawkins. Most want nothing to do with anything organized because they are apathetic in general with everything. Pursuing life and just getting by financially and taking care of their families is a number one priority. Actually becomming a militant and devoting much time and effort into prosyletizing others as is done here is something the common folk have no interest in or stomach for. Seriously, they only want what they would consider a normal life, not the trading or one religious philosophy for another.

AMEN!

Trading the cult of JEEEEZZZZUSSSS with the cult of Richard Dawkins is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, and I am glad most people are not doing so.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
What a load of hogwash. Where is the so called global conspiracy to do away with all religion?

Never going to happen except in the delusions of man and their fairy tale myths trying to grasp onto a false "futuristic" fulfillment of prophesy.

All that is happening is that the new blood being overwhelmed with information that was not readily available 20 years ago are coming to conclusions other than the defacto "godunnit" when it comes to origins.

I kinda find it weird that Dawkins is hailed as the messiah of atheism by christians as I have never read one of his books nor any of his articles. I was taught evolution at school 30+ years ago and my opinion is of personal observation and study that proves it to be plausible. Even Darwin's stuff I have not read nor studied. Granted he was the one that brought the whole debate to the table but there is just too much evidence today to ignore.

So if I am atheist, it is toward the general consensus of churchianity and not necessarily a belief in a deity which I cannot prove. There are just too many inconsistencies in the bible for me to take it as a book of any type of authority, just as my worldview is not limited to a mere spatting of atheist authors.

Last edited by SeekerSA; 04-28-2009 at 03:39 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well the Bible states shortly before Christ returns there will be a great falling away from the faith, so it would appear the Bible is right again.
Logically, you can only say that after Jesus returns.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
AMEN!

Trading the cult of JEEEEZZZZUSSSS with the cult of Richard Dawkins is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, and I am glad most people are not doing so.
I have been an atheist for decades. My reasons for being one came using my own mind to think, long before I heard of Dawkins. That name comes up often in these forums, yet I've never read any of his writings and don't plan to either.
Do you believe atheists (like the religious) need a cult personality/figure? Why?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Logically, you can only say that after Jesus returns.

Logic and Campbell34 have no acquaintence with each other....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality