Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times

Advertisements

Within the past decade my wife and I got married. Before we had the ceremony we discussed whether the longstanding traditional phrase "Do you promise to love, honor and obey your husband?"

For my wife it was a no-brainer; she wanted it in the ceremony. We both knew what that phrase meant to us then. And now just under a decade later we have a different view of that phrase, but would still keep it in, had we known then what we know now.

Women started balking publicly about this phrase during the women's lib movement. I've heard women and men say it's not fair for men to be "over" women in a marriage relationship. "I shouldn't have to obey my husband".

Obeying and honoring a husband is part of any godly relationship. But both parties have to be holding up their end of the agreement for this to work the way God intended. Men should not be jerks that tell their wives what to do, expect them to do it, and then treat the wife like garbage. Condescending attitudes from a husband? That isn't loving your wife. Oh, did I mention the husband's part? "To love your wife as Christ loved the church". Whoa guys, that's a hefty responsibility!

If we're loving our wives as Christ loved the church, then I bet the women in these relationships would have no problem honoring and obeying. (it comes down to respecting one another).

Many progressives and feminists (pretty much the same thing) will have a serious problem with this thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Submitting and obey are sometimes misunderstood. It does not mean becoming a doormat. In marriage both are called to submit. For the wife it means willingly following her husbands leadership IN CHRIST. For the husband it means putting aside his own interest in order to care for his wife. Submission is rarely a problem in homes where both partners have a strong relationship with Christ and each is concerned for the happiness of the other.

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Only if it is in there for the husbands as well. My ex, took obey literally. In todays age there are some men, that would love nothing more than to hold their woman hostage ( not literally) with the obey word. I know.

1,300 posts, read 2,613,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Within the past decade my wife and I got married. Before we had the ceremony we discussed whether the longstanding traditional phrase "Do you promise to love, honor and obey your husband?"

For my wife it was a no-brainer; she wanted it in the ceremony. We both knew what that phrase meant to us then. And now just under a decade later we have a different view of that phrase, but would still keep it in, had we known then what we know now.

Women started balking publicly about this phrase during the women's lib movement. I've heard women and men say it's not fair for men to be "over" women in a marriage relationship. "I shouldn't have to obey my husband".

Obeying and honoring a husband is part of any godly relationship. But both parties have to be holding up their end of the agreement for this to work the way God intended. Men should not be jerks that tell their wives what to do, expect them to do it, and then treat the wife like garbage. Condescending attitudes from a husband? That isn't loving your wife. Oh, did I mention the husband's part? "To love your wife as Christ loved the church". Whoa guys, that's a hefty responsibility!

If we're loving our wives as Christ loved the church, then I bet the women in these relationships would have no problem honoring and obeying. (it comes down to respecting one another).

Many progressives and feminists (pretty much the same thing) will have a serious problem with this thought process.
It's an old, archaic idea who's time has passed.

Nobody should obey anybody in a marriage, period. In fact, it's probably the root cause of divorce in a sizable percentage of marriages. One party expecting the other to obey.

~T

Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,103 times
In my experience, many women want to be controlled (though, not to an extreme). I've found this pretty frustrating at times because I'm not controlling, at all.

I don't see the idea as archaic. Many of these so-called archaic ideas found their roots somewhere in human nature.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Most of the young folk getting married these days appear to be writing their own vows--in my experience. I haven't heard this vow for about 10 years.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,444 times
"Nobody should obey anybody in a marriage, period. In fact, it's probably the root cause of divorce in a sizable percentage of marriages. One party expecting the other to obey."

I agree with YapCity's view.

I never heard of that obeying thing when getting married, as ontheroad says. Maybe because I'm too young? Or because I married in Las Vegas? Maybe such a vow is only for Christian weddings.

To me it reeks of slavery and old-fashion rules. I go not by obedience but mutual respect and it works wonderfully.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Submitting and obey are sometimes misunderstood. It does not mean becoming a doormat. In marriage both are called to submit. For the wife it means willingly following her husbands leadership IN CHRIST. For the husband it means putting aside his own interest in order to care for his wife. Submission is rarely a problem in homes where both partners have a strong relationship with Christ and each is concerned for the happiness of the other.
I agree

Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,266 times
Excellent post Hoosier! I so agree!
I think if one is truly a Christian and believes the Bible's teachings then they will not have a problem with this teaching cause they know where it comes from! And like Hoosier said men certainly arn't without responsibility! They have a HUGE responsibility to love and care for their families and if that responsibility is abused in any way than all bets are out the window! Women need to honor and obey their husbands ONLY IF their husbands do their part. Neither party is perfect but men and women both need to do their part.
A marriage is a three way circle; man, woman and God With God being at the head.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:31 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,444 times
"A marriage is a three way circle; man, woman and God With God being at the head."

So the "obey" part of the wife-husband relationship is indeed obviously only for Christians. I'm glad nobody has to obey nobody in my marriage.

But what I'm truly happy for is that in my marriage as in my home and my life there are only two people: Husband and Wife. "God" and "Bible" can have their own marriages if they please, but I don't want them messing with my union.

No "three way circles" in my world. I don't believe in threesomes or polygamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality