Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,406,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
It's very interesting when people "Google" Biblical topics and then present as if they're authorities on the Bible...With that said:

1) So how do you explain for example, that the KJV translators incorrectly used the word "sodomite" in Deut 23:17 instead of male shrine prostitute. Check out most modern English versions where the Hebrew word qadesh has since been correctly translated.
The word "sodomite" in the Bible is translated to mean any sexually deviant behavior. So, because Christians believe homoxexuality is a sin, homosexual acts are included in this definition/translation. Hence, it doesn't matter whether sodomy is referring to homosexuals or male shrine prostitutes. It's all sexually deviant behavior to Christians. So, your point is moot.

2) Or how do you explain that 1 Cor 6:9 was used for centuries to condemn masturbators (not homosexuals) and that the Greek words "arsenokoites" and "malakoi" were never used in secular writings or by the early church fathers to mean "homosexuals". The word "homosexuals" was FIRST used (incorrectly) in an English translation in 1946 (Revised Standard Version).

1 Corintians 6:9-12 provides a laundry list of categories of persons that will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven/God if they are not delivered from their sins and/or don't seek repentance/forgiveness. This includes persons who struggle with sexual sins (fornicators, adulterers, pedophiles, homosexuals, etc.), abusers of themselves with mankind, thieves, revilers, drunkards. revilers and extortioners). Accordingly, masturbation is also a sin for Christians. Because God is well aware "people" will strive to convince us otherwise (that Christians can live however they want to live and still have a seat/reward in Heaven), He prefaces this laundry list by warning us not to be deceived by anyone that will try to convince us otherwise.

The Body of Christ must be holy, washed and justified, since our bodies themselves are temples of the Holy Ghost. That goes for us all, regardless of which crosses we individually bear.
Try doing some actual research. I could give you list of books I've read by biblical scholars, language experts, historians etc. When I've read books by any author (both conservative and liberal), I've investigated further myself to see if what they say can be supported, as well as checked their credentials and what their peers have to say about them and their work.

It's clear from your above answer you haven't got a clue. I could also give you a list of books and studies on sexual orientation so you could be more informed about homosexuality...as it's also clear you don't know what you are talking about there either. I may not be a Biblical expert, but it's obvious I know a heck of lot more than you do on this topic. Prove me wrong...check out everything I've said in my last post and come back with a hermeneutical approach that supports your opinions.

It became a "tradition" for the Church to use the word "sodomite". It's an incorrect translation as ANY reputable biblical scholar would tell you- even the conservative ones if they have any integrity. Tell me what Ezekial says about Sodom? Or Jesus? Absolutely nothing to so with any "sexually deviant behavior". Can you tell me when that particular church tradition started?

It's obvious you didn't know that 1 Cor 6 was used to condemn masturbators NOT homosexuals. Look it up.

You DO at least know the Bible wasn't written in ENGLISH don't you?

Last edited by Ceist; 08-10-2009 at 04:29 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
but it has long puzzled me as to why so many people follow blindly the precepts and dogma of a particular church rather than following their own heart / conscience and REALLY looking within themselves for their own beliefs.

Lol! You really wonder that? Because it's so much easier than to actually have to struggle, THINK, and figure things out on your own. Follow the other sheeple and you will be accepted and your ideas and worldview will be neatly packaged up for you.

What's really funny is that religious folks seem to think they have cornered the market on morality, ethics, etc. I had one person ask how you know how to be moral without being a christian. I was like, "Are you really that oblivious?"

Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
FYI: Christians believe homosexuality IS a choice. Hence, one cannot be "born gay".
And, for us, Christians are what we were destined to be, so our spirituality IS NOT a choice.

Finally, it's not about religion; it's about relationship. Religion is a category.
Piffle.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,337,256 times
ever wonder what those priests who mess with little boys are? Their religion tells them gays are not allowed but they are practicing gay sex...talk about contradictions...
people are born gay, so it's the god's doing, right?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,757,673 times
Quote:
FYI: Christians believe homosexuality IS a choice.
Do me a favor - start using the word "some", "many" or even "most" before the word "Christians". Because THIS Christian believes no such thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,595 times
I just can't believe anyone would worship a God that is this concerned with what humans do with their genitals.

Seriously.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I just can't believe anyone would worship a God that is this concerned with what humans do with their genitals.

Seriously.
LOL. I have to wonder if all these people who spend so much of their energy condemning gay people are just obsessed with SEXLUSTSEXLUSTSEXLUSTSEXLUST- particularly male/male sex. If we were to believe these people, all gay people are sex-crazed heterosexual deviants who chose to be gay and are out to convert all children to the evils of homosexuality. Apparently homosexuals are ALL about sex to them.

The majority of gay people I know are in committed loving relationships, are paying mortgages, are working productively, are law abiding citizens, many are raising children and are great parents, are good neighbours, and many work in the general (heterosexual) community to help others. Much like my female partner (of 10 years) and myself. We're more "married" and more "family centred" than a lot of heterosexual married couples I know with a marriage licence.

But that just doesn't fit in with the "perverted sex-crazed deviant" image does it?

Last edited by Ceist; 08-10-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Do me a favor - start using the word "some", "many" or even "most" before the word "Christians". Because THIS Christian believes no such thing.
I know quite a few Chistians who think like you do. Thank goodness.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,388,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I've read lots of comments from people who say they are anti-gay because their church disapproves of it, or they believe the Bible tells them to be anti-gay. I can't help but think, "Really? Is that all it takes? Are you unable to think for yourself?"

Why do some people blindly follow orders without questioning them? I can't imagine surrendering my ability to think and evaluate things on my own. I would feel like I've joined a cult if I did that.

Obviously, I'm not a religious person, but I do like to try to understand why so many people are religious.

Thanks.
You need to read more. The group you refer to as anti gay based on scripture alone is very small. A small part of the people that do the mundane tasks that hold our families and this nation together. You say you want to understand this group. Learn more about them. But then unable to contain yourself, you launch into your preconceived and insulting opinion of them. Your question was rhetorical. No need for response.

Concerning the underlined above.
In my short time here I couldn't help but notice what appeared to be guidance or coordination with some of the postings on the left. The focus being too specific (Hannity?). A little too much well timed group harmony. The obedient adoption then abandonment of a boogeyman (or boogiewoman. Sorry Sarah). A nudge here and there. Something unnatural was going on but too vague to say for sure. Then a few days ago I head a statement by the DNC that tied this all together. Vagueness no more. One of those rare 'yeah, that explains everything' moments. The statement from the DNC read like a script and gave method to the madness. Looks like someone else is taking ques from above. Even though I'm personally an atheist I side with the Christian God. You can believe and obey your DNC.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,586,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Not sure but I guess that to many people it has to be because it absolves them of personal responsibility. The Milgram experiments showed that people will go to great lenghts if they feel that they are just following orders from a greater authority.
It's shocking isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.