Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That is far too much work for something so unimportant.
The same could be said of everything I've ever written on this forum. But it's fun for me.

Replying, however, wouldn't take much time. You don't have to explain your choices if you don't want to, and writing "n°X: logic 3, fact 0" is easy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
The same could be said of everything I've ever written on this forum. But it's fun for me.

Replying, however, wouldn't take much time. You don't have to explain your choices if you don't want to, and writing "n°X: logic 3, fact 0" is easy enough.
Here's my reply: I couldn't care less. Neither the arguments for/against creationism or evolution make a whit of difference. Those who don't understand philosophy will never understand.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
We can know that there is a cause to the universe existing because the universe exists. It had to come from something.
According to what law?

If you can't answer that, all you've given is a baseless opinion.

Note: I'm not saying something came from nothing. I'm just saying that you're trying to make up scientific laws on your own.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,458 times
Roxolan, You forgot the arguement where someone says "Evolution is just a theory". For layman a theory is just a random idea. But from the scientific community a theory is a high ranking. So in reality, "evolution is just a poorly supported hypothesis full of conjecture".

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Arguement: Mutations are supposed to drive evolution, yet after millions of iterations of virus' we have only virus'. The swine flu is just a flu.

I remember the experiment used in bio classes across the country where tze-tze fly eggs were radiated with gama radiation. Every mutation could then be charted, whether veined wings, non-veined, yellow eyes, red eye, etc... Yet, since this experiment began back in the 1960's (the fly life span is very small) no new mutation occured. You could even buy a chart in the book store with every mutation possible. One professor my brother sat under said "The Tze-Tze fly wants to stay a Tze-Tze fly".

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Arguement: Antibiotic resistance.

Many say that antibiotic resistance is evolution in action. But, this mutation only serves while in the antibiotic, when returned to nature the bacteria is weaker and often less motile then the non-antibiotic resistant bacteria, causing them to not be able to compete in the real world. So this mutation helps in a specific situation, but is useless for the bacteria when returned to nature among normal bacteria, in fact it is a detriment.

On top of this anti-biotic resistence bacteria have been found in dead bodies prior to the introduction of anti-biotics. This resistance is a naturally occuring function of the bacteria and not some new crazy "evolution in action" mutation.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Arguement: The age of fossils are determined by the layer of the Geological column they are found in and the layer of the geological column in determined by the fossils that are in it.

Warning: Circular reasoning!

Isotopic dates are only used if they can be massaged to match the layer of the column that has been pre-dated by evolutionary scientist. Otherwise they go into file 13 or are re-tested using an alternative isotopic base.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Arguement: The age of fossils are determined by the layer of the Geological column they are found in and the layer of the geological column in determined by the fossils that are in it.

Warning: Circular reasoning!

Isotopic dates are only used if they can be massaged to match the layer of the column that has been pre-dated by evolutionary scientist. Otherwise they go into file 13 or are re-tested using an alternative isotopic base.
Accuracy of Fossils and Dating Methods (ActionBioscience)

The best-known absolute dating technique is carbon-14 dating, which archaeologists prefer to use. However, the half-life of carbon-14 is only 5730 years, so the method cannot be used for materials older than about 70,000 years.

Radiometric dating involves the use of isotope series, such as rubidium/strontium, thorium/lead, potassium/argon, argon/argon, or uranium/lead, all of which have very long half-lives, ranging from 0.7 to 48.6 billion years. Subtle differences in the relative proportions of the two isotopes can give good dates for rocks of any age.

Scientists can check their accuracy by using different isotopes.

The first radiometric dates, generated about 1920, showed that the Earth was hundreds of millions, or billions, of years old. Since then, geologists have made many tens of thousands of radiometric age determinations, and they have refined the earlier estimates. A key point is that it is no longer necessary simply to accept one chemical determination of a rock’s age. Age estimates can be cross-tested by using different isotope pairs. Results from different techniques, often measured in rival labs, continually confirm each other.

There is only a 1% chance of error with current dating technology.

Every few years, new geologic time scales are published, providing the latest dates for major time lines. Older dates may change by a few million years up and down, but younger dates are stable. For example, it has been known since the 1960s that the famous Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary, the line marking the end of the dinosaurs, was 65 million years old. Repeated recalibrations and retests, using ever more sophisticated techniques and equipment, cannot shift that date. It is accurate to within a few thousand years. With modern, extremely precise, methods, error bars are often only 1% or so.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Arguement: Mutations are supposed to drive evolution, yet after millions of iterations of virus' we have only virus'. The swine flu is just a flu.
Before I unleash a rash of evidence, are you sure you're saying that viruses don't mutate?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Before I unleash a rash of evidence, are you sure you're saying that viruses don't mutate?
Read what I wrote, virus' do mutate. That is the word we can use. But, they do not mutate into anything else, ever. I think a better word to use is that they change their signature. They disguise who they are, so the body they are infesting does not recognize them. The common cold has over 3000 variation of its "signiture". That is why you could possibly get a cold multiple times a year, even though it is the same virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality