Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:18 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I bet people know how to find the BBC website

Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM

31 posts, read 67,185 times
How low will these people crawl?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Well considering how the Catholic Church invented anti-semitism, they should know.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
How low will these people crawl?
Have you even bothered to read the article? Somehow I doubt it.

He was actually quoting a letter from a Jewish friend which drew some very specific analogies about certain aspects of antisemitism, namely:

Quote:
Father Cantalamessa quoted from what he said was a letter from an unnamed Jewish friend. “I am following the violent and concentric attacks against the church, the pope and all the faithful by the whole world,” he said the friend wrote. “The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt, remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.”

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi stressed that Father Cantalamessa’s sermon represented his own private thoughts and was not “an official statement” from the Vatican.
At Vatican Service, Persecution of Jews Is Invoked - NYTimes.com

Of course, given the hatred of monotheism (and the Catholic Church in particular) that drives many who post at this forum, I have zero expectation that any of you will actually read the article in its entirity, or even try to understand the very specific point that was being made.

So who is "low" in your estimation? The Jewish writer of the letter, the Catholic priest who quoted it, or both? Or perhaps by "these people" you mean "all Catholics?" Please clarify.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
From your link, something I agree with...

Quote:
A leading advocate for sex abuse victims in the United States, David Clohessy, called comparing criticism of the church to persecution of the Jews “breathtakingly callous and misguided.”

“Men who deliberately and consistently hide child sex crime are in no way victims,” he said. “And to conflate public scrutiny with horrific violence is about as wrong as wrong can be.”

Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
From your link, something I agree with...
Again, this guy completely missed the narrow point the letter-writer was trying to make.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well considering how the Catholic Church invented anti-semitism, they should know.
Hmmmm....I am not denying the shameful history of Christian antisemitism, but last time I checked the history books, antisemitism was in FULL SWING long before Jesus Christ, let alone the "Catholic Church," was even born.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Again, this guy completely missed the narrow point the letter-writer was trying to make.
Then I think his Jewish friend's opinion is wrong...

Quote:
“I am following the violent and concentric attacks against the church, the pope and all the faithful by the whole world,” he said the friend wrote. “The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt, remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.”
In no way can what is happening regarding the child abuse scandals be compared to antisemitism....In the catholic church it is the perpetrators of that abuse and those involved in covering it up that are the targets of anger and indignation, and rightly so. Nobody is blaming Catholics in general for it...

Antisemitism refers specifically to prejudice against Jews alone and in general....Not comparable at all.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Then I think his Jewish friend's opinion is wrong...

In no way can what is happening regarding the child abuse scandals be compared to antisemitism....In the catholic church it is the perpetrators of that abuse and those involved in covering it up that are the targets of anger and indignation, and rightly so. Nobody is blaming Catholics in general for it...

Antisemitism refers specifically to prejudice against Jews alone and in general....Not comparable at all.
I wish that were true, but this is not what I see around me. I have repeatedly made the point at City-Data that there is a great deal of corruption in the Catholic Church at very high levels and that all individuals responsible should be held accountable for these evil acts, which are condemned as grave sins. What do I get in response? Statements such as, "The Catholic Church promotes pedophilia." Moderator cut: flame

As regards the writer's analogy--it is precisely this aspect of antisemitism -- the "collective guilt" of an entire religious group (including ALL its clergy) versus individual moral responsibility -- which is very much comparable.

Lastly, I do appreciate your attempt to discuss this civilly, even though I disagree with your reasoning. This is one of the most respectful posts I have ever seen at City-Data around this particular issue.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: calling out another member may start a flame war
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality