Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,205,823 times

Advertisements

Also, regarding the ad hominem comment, I didnt' attack you, but your post. Which I did indeed call tripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,752,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I see your point, and I also agree that some things pointed out are indeed true. I guess it's just the attitude behind it that makes me mad. (Thus the "faith-fueled ignorance" statement.) Without pointing fingers , alot of athiests on this forum come across as so condescending, and it just gets old.

So parts of the Bible can be proved, and parts of it can't. To me, it doesn't matter. My faith in God isn't based on any of that debate, but upon my own spiritual experience. I have experienced the power of God, and an athiest can try to convince me all day long that it was simply the power of my mind, or whatever, and will get nowhere. I know what I know in my knower, ya know?

I would propose to athiests that they can't possibly try to understand something they have no experience with. If you haven't had a personal, life-changing experience with Jesus then how would you know if we are all nuts, or not? I'm not saying this to be condescending, but I truly feel that this a valid thought!
def true Jeff was what I was trying to say on another thread as well.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
def true Jeff was what I was trying to say on another thread as well.
Thanks! Glad to know I'm not alone. It's hard for me sometimes on the religion forum because the athiests think I'm crazy for believing in God, and the Christians think I'm crazy for being a Universalist.

Oh well. I still know what I know in my knower, ya know?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 AM

71 posts, read 400,336 times
Wow, I am very spiritual . . . yet, I have experienced that the organized Christian religions (and others) contradict their own teachings and often become too judgemental.

I am anything but athiest.
I do believe, as someone else stated, that the Bible is an interpretation and many parts of it are parables (stories to make a point) and not necessarily true. I believe and know, many parts of the Bible were removed, burned, destroyed because they gave much to much freedom to the people (i.e. King James). And I know that the Bible was written years and years after certain events happened (and not at that exact moment when their memories would be fresh); and those who wrote the Bible did not truly witness Jesus words, in person. They heard it from others in their communities and families, and since they had no true recording devices, etc. it is only the storyteller's interpretation of what was said to them from someone else. Also, the Bible was written in a language that no longer exists in its pure form, so it lost something in interpretation to Hebrew, then to several other languages until English.

That said, I believe Jesus was here and was trying to teach us unconditional love and to do all he had done "and even more"; and he loved everyone, unconditionally, no matter their religion, color, faith or even those who didn't follow him (he loved EVERYONE!). Jesus preached for us to follow our bliss. I believe other men/women also came to teach similiar things . . . even into modern times.

I truly know that most religions abuse the "unconditional love" taught in the Bible by putting conditions on God's love; and calling it the 'word of God'. It's the word of the men who wrote/interpreted the Bible, actually. Unconditional is just that . . . there are NO CONDITIONS! Men make the conditions. And God, or anyone, cannot feel unconditional love and hate or anger at the same time.

I cannot abide by the lie that if you do not "go through his son, Jesus" that you will be thrown into a fiery hell. That is NOT unconditional love. That is conditional. I believe and know, what was meant by that . . . "going through his son" -- we should be true to ourselves! Follow our bliss . . . and feel happy in our life. Because, hell is right here . . . if you do NOT follow your bliss or find happiness within yourself, then yes, life is hell! Depression, jealously and doing things you hate certainly sounds like hell to me!

This is my "knowing" not just a belief. I know it deep in my soul and we are all part of the Source, whether you call it God, the Universe, the Higher Power or George!!! And the only sin is purposely hurting others, which actually includes yourself! And the fiery hell is right where you are if you make it so. Yet, we can make of our earth a Heaven, too -- just by being good to ourselves and others and knowing we are loved, completely with NO CONDITIONS! We are never alone . . . for the Universe, Source, God truly loves us unconditionally.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelAura28 View Post
I truly know that most religions abuse the "unconditional love" taught in the Bible by putting conditions on God's love; and calling it the 'word of God'. It's the word of the men who wrote/interpreted the Bible, actually. Unconditional is just that . . . there are NO CONDITIONS! Men make the conditions. And God, or anyone, cannot feel unconditional love and hate or anger at the same time.

I cannot abide by the lie that if you do not "go through his son, Jesus" that you will be thrown into a fiery hell. That is NOT unconditional love. That is conditional. I believe and know, what was meant by that . . . "going through his son" -- we should be true to ourselves! Follow our bliss . . . and feel happy in our life. Because, hell is right here . . . if you do NOT follow your bliss or find happiness within yourself, then yes, life is hell! Depression, jealously and doing things you hate certainly sounds like hell to me!
Well, to those of you at all familiar with my beliefs, it should come as no surprise that as a Christian, I actually agree with most of this statement. Christians try to say that God is unconditional love, yet say that conditions must be met in order to experience that love, which defies the definition of unconditional! How is that possible?

I personally think these 2 verses sum it up nicely:

2 Chronicles 20:6 "And said, O Lord, God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven? And do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations? In Your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand You."

Isaiah 66:23 "And it shall be that from one New Moon to another New Moon and from one Sabbath to another Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before Me, says the Lord."

Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 PM

267 posts, read 534,010 times
maybe someone can make some money selling the pitchforks here, hmm. And torches, yes.

Coyote_Blonde has said it all.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
maybe someone can make some money selling the pitchforks here, hmm. And torches, yes.

Coyote_Blonde has said it all.
Meaning the hoards will now descend? IMHO, mud-flinging happens on both sides.

Pitchforks and torches.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,719,057 times
I read through the posts and just shake my head in disbelief at some of them.
What a mess of deceptions some people have woven, and are quite content to wrap themselves up in them, and shout that the rest of the world is wrong so they can take others with them.

You gotta love a circus. I'm trying, folks. I'm really trying.

Matthew 24:11
and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people

Corinthians 3:17-19
18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 PM

954 posts, read 814,431 times
[quote=southward bound;880303]
Quote:
I read through the posts and just shake my head in disbelief at some of them.
What a mess of deceptions some people have woven, and are quite content to wrap themselves up in them, and shout that the rest of the world is wrong so they can take others with them.
I agree 100% southward bound....but what more would you expect of god-believers?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 PM

954 posts, read 814,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Also, regarding the ad hominem comment, I didnt' attack you, but your post. Which I did indeed call tripe.
So saying that I have a "superiority complex" isn't a personal attack?? You also accuse some of the posters on this forum (though I suspect you actually mean me) as being "condecending". That's ad hominem in my book'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality