Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This Nikk is a strange person. In one thread a while back, he intimated that he's Jewish. In another thread he insists that he's a Christian, and that the person who thought he's Jewish was mistaken. Apparently, he jumps back and forth according to the argument he's presenting at the moment.

Hey, Nikk, some of us remember what we read here. Get your story straight. Or at least pick one and stick with it!
I have my story straight. I am Christian in that I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus is the Messiah.

But, I am also Jewish, in that I am born of a Jewish woman. People call themselves Jewish for many reasons. They could be a practicing Jew, born of Jewish parrents, from Israel, from the Jewish culture.

I went to a synogog a while back and I saw a chinese girl who had become Jewish. Is she less oriental because of her faith? No! The same is for me am I less Jewish because I believe that Jesus is the Messiah? I think more so. Because our fathers looked for the messiah and I found him. Our fathers worshipped the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob and so do I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM

897 posts, read 2,460,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This Nikk is a strange person. In one thread a while back, he intimated that he's Jewish. In another thread he insists that he's a Christian, and that the person who thought he's Jewish was mistaken. Apparently, he jumps back and forth according to the argument he's presenting at the moment.

Hey, Nikk, some of us remember what we read here. Get your story straight. Or at least pick one and stick with it!
I know I made an apology for no reason. This person claims to be a Jew but was always raised Christian. So they are Jewish but probably have no understanding of Judaism.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM

275 posts, read 708,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I have my story straight. I am Christian in that I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus is the Messiah.

But, I am also Jewish, in that I am born of a Jewish woman. People call themselves Jewish for many reasons. They could be a practicing Jew, born of Jewish parrents, from Israel, from the Jewish culture.

I went to a synogog a while back and I saw a chinese girl who had become Jewish. Is she less oriental because of her faith? No! The same is for me am I less Jewish because I believe that Jesus is the Messiah? I think more so. Because our fathers looked for the messiah and I found him. Our fathers worshipped the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob and so do I.
You spelled Synagogue wrong. Just to let you know.

:P

Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
My apology, I thought you said you were jewish in a previous post. To the second part of your comment I agree with your statement. That argument also strengthens more that the new testament and Jesus do not fit the old testament belief system. This is one reason Paul went to the non-jews(gentiles) to preach his message.
I am Jewish!... and Christian.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
You spelled Synagogue wrong. Just to let you know.

:P
Sometime when you start typing fast you don't get all the letters in!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I know I made an apology for no reason. This person claims to be a Jew but was always raised Christian. So they are Jewish but probably have no understanding of Judaism.
Christianity is just a sect of Judaism, so really all Christians are really Jews. Christian is just the name given to the believers in Jesus Christ. It means "little Christ". Over the years Christianity has grown so big that we categorize it by itself apart from Judaism.

I have a deep understanding of Judaism. But better then this it is written, "let him that glorieth glory in this that he understands and knows Me." That is who I understand. That is what I glory in.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,776,362 times
Make NO mistake. Yahushua (the Messiahs Hebrew name) was born and died on the Olive tree a Hebrew (Jew) as did those Talmadim (apostles) that taught HIS word. HIS word was Torah. HE NEVER contradicted ONE word in Torah. If you think otherwise prove it. You won't be able to that's for sure. This is one of the single biggest misconceptions about what I consider a created religion....christianity. HE never came to create another religion. HE wanted ALL to come back to the original Hebrew understanding that HE came to be the acceptable sacrifice providing ALL who would believe in HIS FATHER (John 5:24) eternal life via the ability to Teshuvah (repent) for intentional sin rather than suffer the "Law of Sin and Death" which demanded stoneing to death.

christians think there was literally a NEW religion, NEW covenant, and NEW testament intended to circumvent the Torah. NOT SO. The Talmadim AND Yahushua stated many times in scripture that is NOT what they were teaching or what they came for. The Messiah came "But for the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel". you can wish that away but you are either engrafted into the olive branch of the commonwealth of Israel or you have NO covenant with YHVH (God). Them are the facts jack......

Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,612,290 times
deleted post due to change of mind.

Last edited by bluebeard; 06-17-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, I retract my previous strong reactions to your claims to be Jewish. Sort of.

Except for one thing, no one, except the most orthodox, that I know of still goes by that "through the mother" thing. It's like when someone asked me about whether you have to ask the Rabbi 3 times to convert to Judaism or something, because they saw it on Sex and the City
However, the fact that you were raised with Jewish traditions, and retain some cultural and ethnic Jewish identity, well, if you have that, then how can someone deny your self-identity?
Also, if all other Jews deny that Jews for Jesus are Jewish, can they be Jews? I was raised Jewish myself, so don't have to go out to the Jewish community to talk to them. I know they very reliable reject JEws for Jesus as Jews.

Is Judaism a religion? If so, then how can it be passed through the mother? A person would thusly only be Jewish if they believed in the main religious tenets or attended a synogague, etc... And what about the Nazis? They were persecuting a perceived ethnicity? Did they make this ethnicity up from nowhere?
Is Judaism an ethnicity? If so, how does one convert to an ethnicity? And why would it only be passed through one parent, but not the other? Is belief in God irrelevant to the definition of a Jew?
Is Judaism a culture? Again, culture in the modern US is not passed solely through the mother, so this doesn't make sense? Is conversion actually a rite to enter a culture then? And beliefs in God and such are irrelevant?

All this has relevance to whatever the heck it means to be Jewish and what it means to have a Jewish state. The original Zionists where largely non-religious and some of the most orthodox Israelis are the most anti-Zionist. On the other hand, Jews are admitted to Israel from completely disparate ethnicities and culture.

Once upon a time culture, ethnicity, and belief systems where inseparable. Now with globalization, and the modification of our ideas of human social systems in places like the US, they are completely fluid and interchangeable. One can be a from Asian Indian stock, have moved to Namibia at age 8, and have converted to Judaism. What the heck is that person's culture/ethnicity/nationality/religion?

As for myself, I am agnostic, but raised Jewish. My mother is Jewish. My father's side is Protestant or agnostic.
So what am I? I sort of consider myself Jewish, but sort of don't. I still celebrate Jewish holidays at home (although I see them almost 100% as family get-togethers). I have some connection with Jewish-American identity. However,, if I have a child, the child will undoubtedly be pretty removed from any Jewish identity. I would not raise it Jewish, and it's exposure to the holidays would solely be through occasional trips home.

This is not a simple discussion. People much smarter than us have disparate opinions.

Last edited by bluebeard; 06-17-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Christianity is just a sect of Judaism, so really all Christians are really Jews.
Ok, this I take issue with. Christianity have very much developed into it's own religion.
Is Islam also a sect of Judaism? Is Buddhism a sect of Hinduism? These are decidely different world religions with completely different worldviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality