Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:01 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Ever go to a church service, listen to the sermon and disagree (at least in part) with what the Pastor is saying? That happened to me yesterday at church. Actually, during the sermon, I whispered to my wife "yea, right" and "I don't think so". She just chuckled a litte and continued to listen. After the Service, I looked at my wife and said "I think Jason and I need to have a talk behind closed doors! It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
The sermon came out of Proverbs and was about lieing. He said that way to many people lie in todays society......which is true! He told us that the one way not to lie is "not to talk so much". Anyway, I do understand what he read out of Proverbs about lieing, but he really made it sound like a real sin! Spouses can lie to each other, kids lie to their parents and parents lie to their kids, friends lie to their friends and so on and so on. The reality is, sometimes people lie because they have to! Yes, the word "reality" is the one word that many people who go to church seem to not want to hear! Of course, in church the Bible and the Pastor both tell us how to change the way we are/how we sometimes behave, but just how easy is that to do?? Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
Someone told me that the #1 job that requires lieing is Sales.
Your thoughts about this sermon and have you ever disagreed with a sermon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ever go to a church service, listen to the sermon and disagree (at least in part) with what the Pastor is saying? That happened to me yesterday at church. Actually, during the sermon, I whispered to my wife "yea, right" and "I don't think so". She just chuckled a litte and continued to listen. After the Service, I looked at my wife and said "I think Jason and I need to have a talk behind closed doors! It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
The sermon came out of Proverbs and was about lieing. He said that way to many people lie in todays society......which is true! He told us that the one way not to lie is "not to talk so much". Anyway, I do understand what he read out of Proverbs about lieing, but he really made it sound like a real sin! Spouses can lie to each other, kids lie to their parents and parents lie to their kids, friends lie to their friends and so on and so on. The reality is, sometimes people lie because they have to! Yes, the word "reality" is the one word that many people who go to church seem to not want to hear! Of course, in church the Bible and the Pastor both tell us how to change the way we are/how we sometimes behave, but just how easy is that to do?? Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
Someone told me that the #1 job that requires lieing is Sales.
It sounds like you took what he said way out of line. It sounds like you personally have a problem with what he was saying, but what I read that you wrote, I don't see a problem.

Quote:
Spouses can lie to each other, kids lie to their parents and parents lie to their kids, friends lie to their friends and so on and so on. The reality is, sometimes people lie because they have to!
Yes, your right that does happen but does that make it right? does God lie? What does God say about lieing? God says to not lie? So, by that being said would you disagree with God and say He is being unreal?

Yes, it's true we has humans lie, but in God's eyes, that is sinful and we have to change that about ourself. I have told lies and I want say that I haven't. But I personally know that bothers God when we lie. So, the Holy Spirit convicts me even before I even think about telling a lie.

It sounds like your Pastor only gave a message from God and if you have a problem with the message you will have a problem with God. You do realize that God has placed your Pastor in authority. Yes we can disagree, but we must be careful how we treat the man of God that has been placed in authority.

Sorry, to say this, but if sounds like you are being a bit immature about the situation. When a Pastor is preaching a Word from God, He is only doing his job. If God tells him to say something, he has to obey God, even if it makes people made. So, if you have a problem with the message you are really saying, God I don't agree with your standards.

I have a question for you. If you were a Pastor and you were about to give a message and God told you to say, if you children of God don't straighten up you will all go to hell, or God is very displeased with the lieing in the church, would you give forth the message, or would you duck and hide and only tell the people what they wanted to here?

Quote:
It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
It doesn't matter what side of the street you grew up on, if God gives a standard that is what we are to live by.

It's a dangerous thing to negatively question the man of God when God has placed the Word in your Pastors mouth. Know my thing or question is, who are you to question the man of God? Are you anointed to preach at your church, if not then I think that you better be careful how you treat God's servant.

I'm not saying that we want disagree with our Pastor from time to time, but you must understand that you are placed under the authority of your Pastor from God.

If you think that you can do better then maybe you should start another church. But since you don't have one, I take it God has not called you to preach, so is sounds like you are in the right place.

Please learn some respect, because it seems very disrespectful in how you are even speaking of the matter. And to say that you should have a talk with your Pastor, like you have some type of authority to even say that he was truely wrong.

Now my thing is if a Pastor is wrong then they are wrong, but if they are not, then the person better shut and and stay in there place.

Quote:
Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
When you stand before God are you going to tell Him that? Are you going to say, I know that you said live this way, but God I had to do what I had to do to survive.

We are not perfect but we must strive to live a holy life acceptable to God. But does not mean that I want fall from time to time, no, but it means that I live my life daily for God. Not I must live my life acceptable to me.

Quote:
Of course I have disagreed with my Pastor from time to time, but I never disrespected my Pastor or even thought about coming at him in a way that was disrestful. I understand authority and what It means to be under your Pastor. God has placed Pastors over us.

I'm sure that you read your bible, have you noticed what happened to people that disrespected a man of God that God placed in authority, especially when they were wrong. There was consequences because of their error.

Did you not remember what God said in certains scriptures? I don't remember the scripture, But God says that If you do something to harm His servant, it is like doing it to Him. That is the same thing when it comes down disrecpect or questioning in a negative way, you are questioning God.

Your arguement seems like it is showing error in your thinking and showing how you think toward the man of God, and possibly how you think about some of God's standards. Because your Preacher is only giving a standard with God.

So, if you think that it is unrealistic to lie, you need to seek God in that area. I don't think that it is unrealistic, I think that we will have to seek God in help in that area and others we have a problem with.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 06-15-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
what scripture was it based on?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Kdbrich,

Actually I found another, but I'm still searching for the other.

When Saul/Paul was met on the road to Damacus. Saul later called Paul was a persercutor of the Christians. He killed Christians, but was later met on the road by Jesus.

Acts 9:3-5

As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. 4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”
5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?”
Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.[a] It is hard for you to kick against the goads.”

As you read this scripture, know one can persecute or kill the Lord, so why would God say such a thing? Because God feels that if you are doing something to His people you are doing the same thing to Him.

I can't find the other scripture right now, but I will look for it.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Kdbrich,

Actually I found another, but I'm still searching for the other.

When Saul/Paul was met on the road to Damacus. Saul later called Paul was a persercutor of the Christians. He killed Christians, but was later met on the road by Jesus.

Acts 9:3-5

As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. 4 Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?â€
5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?â€
Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.[a] It is hard for you to kick against the goads.â€

As you read this scripture, know one can persecute or kill the Lord, so why would God say such a thing? Because God feels that if you are doing something to His people you are doing the same thing to Him.

I can't find the other scripture right now, but I will look for it.
I'm sorry...I'm having a hard time understanding what Acts 9 has to do with a sermon on Proverbs.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm sorry...I'm having a hard time understanding what Acts 9 has to do with a sermon on Proverbs.
"Seek and ye shall find."

Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM

I also encourage you to study and understand what authority is all about!!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the current economic meltdown was caused by lies and nothing else.
good sermon.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That's because you are looking over the meaning of what I am saying. I can't find the other scripture that I was looking for which was better.

His Pastor was bringing forth a message which sounds like it could have been from God. So, if the message is from God, then what He spoke was What God wanted for Him to say.

LoveB, was not only questioning but sounded like he was pretty much just saying that the guy was wrong. But it that is what God put in His mouth, then He is pretty much saying that God is wrong.

I'm not putting lieing on the scale as killing, I just wanted to put a scripture showing how God was saying that you are basically hurting or harming my people, but I see it as doing it to me.

By questioning the Word of God, when God places His Word in the mouth of His servants, you are pretty much questioning God.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
making you feel guilty so you will "repent" and "rededicate your life" is simply a marketing tool. I frequently disagreed with pastors. Now that I realize their true motivation, I simply don't listen to them any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality