Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetman View Post
Why do these semi-literate scientifically minded atheists constantly plaster this forum with rhetorical questions and statements usually connected with creation and Noah's arc, aimed at a generally less scientifically literate religious minority?
Semi-literate? Haha. As a rule, atheists and other non-believers are far more literate, educated and even more knowledgeable of The Bible and religion than Christians, and other religious believers.

A few sites to get you started on what? Getting an education in pseudo-science, quackery and dishonesty?

You really think we haven't read those sites? The fact that you're even seriously citing them at all is hilarious.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
What brilliance sanspeur, thanks for nothing.
To begin with your post didn't deserve a response....Trolling posts never do.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Quote:
Why is a religion and philosophy forum so totally overrun with athiests?

What exactly is their religion/and or philosophy?

Why do these semi-literate scientifically minded atheists constantly plaster this forum with rhetorical questions and statements usually connected with creation and Noah's arc, aimed at a generally less scientifically literate religious minority?
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do know how to use commas.
How ironic that in this sentence you would be referring to the "semi-literate".

Quote:
Is it that athiests come here to:
(a) demonstrate their own level of genius?
(b) belittle those that don't accept certain current theories espoused by sections of the scientific community (even if it is a current majority view)?
(c) undermine faith, as it doesn't directly correspond with their world view?

Why are the athiests that post here are so insecure that they feel obliged to troll these boards at attack the religious minority?
Study your own religion and it's history of violence a little more closely, and you'll see the irony in this part of your post as well.

To respond to your question, we could ask the same questions of the religious.
Along with trolling the boards, they troll our neighborhoods, handing out "literature".....recruiting, if you will.....haven't seen any Atheists recruiting in my neighborhood lately.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
moetman wrote:
Quote:
That statement sounds like how I would describe my yard being overrun with moles and kind of sets the tone for your rather sarcastic OP. It's been mentioned that atheism is a philosophy and this is an appropriate place to engage in discussions in philosophy and religion because that's the name of the forum and that's it's purpose.
I don't feel that the atheists on the forum appear to be insecure at all and most of us like to get into discussions with those of different points of view so we can explain why we think the way we do.
Also, you suggest Answers in Genesis as something we could learn something from. I've got to say it's one of the most misguided and uninformed websites I've ever seen in my life. There is no legitimate science being presented at all although it's pretending to explain away evolution and the work being done by real scientists.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do know how to use commas.
How ironic that in this sentence you would be referring to the "semi-literate".
Grammar aside, suggesting a union between semi-literate and scientifically minded is pretty funny on its own.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
You honestly don't know?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,413 times
Quote:
Really? There are just as much theist (if not more) as there are atheist that post on this board.

Quote:
You don't have to have a religion or philosophy to post on the R&P board. I wouldn't say Atheism is a philosophy per se, but it is the launching point for one.

Quote:
Whoa, whoa buddy! No need to debase and attack a whole group of people here. Haven't you ever heard two wrongs don't make a right?

Science is a beautiful and wonderful thing. There is no need for you to remain scientifically illiterate. The internet is a wonderful thing. It can make the illiterate, literate, and the ignorant, smart. There is no need for you to remain "illiterate." Knowing is just a click away; you just have to open your mind to it.

Quote:
Is it that athiests come here to:
(a) demonstrate their own level of genius?
(b) belittle those that don't accept certain current theories espoused by sections of the scientific community (even if it is a current majority view)?
(c) undermine faith, as it doesn't directly correspond with their world view?
I think it's fair play from both sides of the points that you mentioned. Both theist and atheist have done that on this board. I admit, I have done it before and realize the error of my ways. Nothing gets done when your too busy trying to trump your opponent and be the one who has the last word.

Quote:
Why are the athiests that post here are so insecure that they feel obliged to troll these boards at attack the religious minority?
I can't speak for others, but for myself, I'm not insecure in my non-belief at all. I like to debate and hear the different views that are present on this board. It makes my non-belief stronger and equips me with new knowledge that I may have not been privy to before. I learn, I edit, and revise my beliefs (and lack-thereof) when I've been met with a stronger argument with more sound logic and reasoning.

Quote:
After all, if you have genuine questions about creation science, intelligent design, flood geology, biblical anthropology etc. wouldn't you aim those questions at one of the numerous creation/ID scientist sources rather than scientifically illiterates like me? What are you trying to achieve?
But here's the thing: Creation/ID scientist aren't real scientist. They don't allow for the scientific method and completely disregard any information that contradicts the bible. A scientist is a person who uses the scientific method. You can't rightfully call yourself a scientist if you disregard the basics of it.

So, IMHO, Creation/ID scientist are just as illiterate as you claim to be. They know nothing of science and how it works, and they don't want to know either.

Plus, many on this Christians on this board are well-versed in the scriptures, so it shouldn't be a problem if they are questioned on the veracity of them since so much time must be devoted to straightening the kinks in those stories to make them appear logical and reasonable.

Quote:
With regards to schools teaching the facts and letting the kids make up their own mind I would also welcome that. In science subjects in particular I was only taught about current scientific theories, and they were taught as fact. I wasn't even aware of other theories, problems with current theory and the implications of this.
I have no problem with other theories taught in school. They only need to be taught where they belong: in a Religion/Philosophy class. As I've noted above, Creation Scientist do not follow the scientific method and completely disregard evidence that is contrary to their beliefs. The reason science is so trusted is because of the scientific method and peer review. The theories that are taught now have been tested and verified numerous times; the same cannot be said of Creation/ID scientist.

Science isn't perfect; no one said it was. But it is our best bet to understanding the world we live in because it seeks information objectively and without bias. Creation/ID scientist only agree with information that fall in line with their holy book. That is the least honest means to obtain more information about our world and strives to create further misunderstandings. That isn't science.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

Without commenting on creationism, which I do not believe in, just let me point out that any thinking theist finds Dawkins laughable. "Religion is the root of all evil" because some people have killed in the name of religion? Okay, well some people have killed in the name of love, so is love the root of all evil as well?

Every government on Earth has caused strife, evil, and war, from fascism to democracy, from communism to a republic...so why isn't Dawkins an anarchist?

Nevermind that science has been no prize either. Did not his own beloved evolutionary science give rise to scientific racism Scientific racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which caused the Holocaust as "evolution played it's course" and the "inferior sub species of homosapiens" were wiped out?

Or how about all the pretty little toys that science has created for the world:

So what do you say? "but....the sciences I know and love aren't like that!" yes indeed...and the religion I know and love is not barbaric and does not advocate killing people en masse.

Just as there is a difference between a healthy relationship between two people in love and in abusive one, there is a difference between a healthy theology and practice and a fanatical one. Just people should attempt to find a government that works and not pursue some childish, unworkable anarchy, people should attempt to find a theology that works for them if atheism does not.

It is so simple it boggles the mind that he keeps selling books...

...also, Dawkins, along with Hitchens, refuse to admit that Gnosticism exist and still use old, tired arguments like "the problem of evil". We (the Gnostics) are to them what Radio Carbon Dating is for the Young Earth Creationist, i.e., that annoying little detail they choose to ignore and look quite foolish doing so.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Semi-literate? Haha. As a rule, atheists and other non-believers are far more literate, educated and even more knowledgeable of The Bible and religion than Christians, and other religious believers.
In my experience, most atheists are largely ignorant of Christianity despite believing they are knowledgable about it. Furthermore, the vast majority of anti-theist, anti-religion atheists are highly ignorant in philosophy or logic and narrow-mindedly cling to a closed, naturalist philosophy, eschewing all other philosophical thought. I can't even begin to have a philosophical discussion with most of these people because they can't get past the fact of their premises being chosen rather than proven.

As for semi-literate, most anti-theists are the same semi-literate rednecks as the Christians they argue with, but that's not to say one group is less literate than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
A few sites to get you started on what? Getting an education in pseudo-science, quackery and dishonesty?

You really think we haven't read those sites? The fact that you're even seriously citing them at all is hilarious.
Your smug, arrogant attitude is typical of an ignorant anti-theist. The fact that you think you're intelligent is what's even more hilarious.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Why so negative victorianpunk? Scientific Achievements: Top Ten Scientific Discoveries of the 20th Century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.