Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

- I tend to respond if I'm attacked. Also, a good debate is entertaining. And I've been forced to become considerably more scientifically literate in order to find support for my views.

I guess the counter-question could be: Why are you so insecure that you have to ask us to stay away? If we're semi-literate know-nothings, you should be able to out-debate us with one arm tied behind your back, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetman View Post
Why do these semi-literate scientifically minded atheists constantly plaster this forum with rhetorical questions and statements usually connected with creation and Noah's arc, aimed at a generally less scientifically literate religious minority?
Protip: If you want to use "semi-literate" as an insult, I suggest you at least pick a consistent spelling of "atheist". You seem to fluctuate between "atheist" and "athiest", with a statistical preference for the latter. "Atheit" was apparently thrown into the headline for good measure.

Also, it's Noah's "Ark".

Quote:
After all, if you have genuine questions about creation science, intelligent design, flood geology, biblical anthropology etc. wouldn't you aim those questions at one of the numerous creation/ID scientist sources rather than scientifically illiterates like me?
Well, you're the one espousing the views. I know enough of the BS doled out at AiG and other sites with a relaxed attitude to truth. I also know that there's no debate allowed there. If you don't want your views debated, don't post them in a public forum.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And yet, back on page one, you specifically reference back to the enchantingly intelligent broad-based comments against atheists per se by the troll OP (or was it athiets; perhaps I just misunderstood the terms of this discussion...).
Actually, what I said in page one was correcting the OP. See here: //www.city-data.com/forum/9379270-post4.html

I have nothing against atheists, which is the personal belief that there is no divinity, but it is simply the Jerry Falwells of the non-believers (i.e., the anti-theist) who I am against.

I respect people who are not believers, but many militant (anti-theistic) non-believers do not respect us in return.

Quote:
So forgive me my trangressions. I of course only refer to those who fire point-blank without aiming. As you have done with your many subsequent comments, such as comparing neo-Zazis with anti-theists or atheists.
Neo-Nazis are guided by blind intolerance and ignorance. Anti-theists are also guided by blind ignorance and intolerance. Hence, the comparrison.

Quote:
BTW, atheists are, generally, anti-theist, I'd agree. "A"-"Theist". Hmmm... Let's think here for a moment....
Actually, "atheism" means "a" which is latin for "no" or "none" as in asexual. Anti-theism comes from the root "anti", which is means "opposed". So, "Atheism" simply means "no religion" while "Anti-theism" means "against religion". Hence, we see the difference.

Also, most atheist I have met in person are not Anti-theist. No, most of them actually have lives and have a live and let live additude and a general feeling of "if it ain't hurting me or anyone else, why bother them?"

Saying most atheists are anti-theist is like saying most blacks are anti-white Black nationalists or most asexuals are anti-sexual and want to see all sex outlawed.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Nevermind that science has been no prize either. Did not his own beloved evolutionary science give rise to scientific racism Scientific racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which caused the Holocaust as "evolution played it's course" and the "inferior sub species of homosapiens" were wiped out?
Come on.

Racially motivated genocide did not pop into existence immediately after the publication of The Origin of Species, it's been around since prehistoric times. The Holocaust dipped into a centuries-old tradition of anti-semitism - one that predated Darwin by centuries. Hell, Darwin was four-square against one of the racially motivated evils of his day - that of slavery. That was perpetrated by good Christians, who considered the black man's inferiority one of the "plainest revelations of Divine Law".

Evil people will flail around for any justification. If they their audience will feel better about killing Jews because "they killed Christ" or enslaving blacks because God put the curse of Ham on them, that's what they'll roll out. If they they can market their genocide or discrimination better by calling it "scientific", then that'll be their slogan. I'm sure both Jesus and Darwin would have enjoyed kicking the asses of whoever abused their work to justify evil.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:

A few personal observations to this really silly thread
(Even spelled "atheist" wrong: what, exactly, is an "athiet"?):
Who are you to criticize anyone's spelling? You're uneducated when it comes to spelling. For example:

Quote:
Rather, in my experience, atheists are well educated, well-organized, independantly minded logicians. Almost every scientist and engineer and realist operating in the real world that I've been associated with either are or became atheists. I know a few younger atheists, but most are like me, mature and independantly minded.
You mean "independently minded"? What, exactly, does "independantly" mean?

This is par for the course for you, rifleman...

First, you criticize someone in spelling or some other area in which you are obviously and self-admittedly ignorant.

Next, you puff up about how you are educated in science of some sort.

Then you wrap it up by declaring that because you're so educated and an atheist, and because you claim that everyone you know who is intelligent is an atheist, that atheists must therefore be more intelligent than non-atheists.

That's Stupid, with a capital "S".

If you think anecdotal evidence is sufficient then here's some anecdotal evidence of my own... In my family, going as far as first cousins only, I know that 13 are educated in the sciences. Of them, 10 were educated at Ivy League schools. Also, of them, 9 have graduate degrees, with 4 of those being PhD's. Specifically, the sciences they are educated in are chemistry, bio-chem, engineering (electrical, ceramics, and civil/aeronautic), medicine, psychology, geology, and anthropology.

And you know what? All of them are Christians. If you add my one cousin's husband, it would be 14, but he's an atheist anyway, and has a PhD in Psychology and is a professor at a good university on the West Coast; and he's not anti-theist, despite being an atheist (in other words, he's not an a-hole towards Christians and other theists like so many here are).

Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Why didn't the mods nuke this trolling thread from the very beginning?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Huh?

Now now, BCJ. Calm yourself. Of course, my British/Canadian background (There. I 've set you up for another uncalled for ad hominem at my expense) does interfere with some Amurikan spelling* (Quick! Go for another one!), including my behaviour at times. At least you know what I meant by "independant". But again, this stupid troll post specifically went after atheists and hit them with an endless litanty of unnecessary and vicious ad hominems.

As to my personal education, it is not arrogance or ego, but if you care to go back and read the flaming posts here, you'll note the multiple references to us illiterate, minimally educated high-school-educated redneck atheists. I simply responded. You would, apparently, disallow any defence of that incredibly stupid remark. As I said, Christians like to neck-step.

I simply noted otherwise to such blatant and unsupportable nonsense about the level of education of most atheists, and the fact that I'm not the only one here with an education and thus the ability to think for myself.

I will stick to my claim though, that this attribute (open questioning and free thinking outside of the prescribed dogma) is vigorously suppressed by the Church and Christianity in general, unless the thoughts are specifically about supporting their Godly concepts. Start talking Evolution or transitional forms and out you go!

I, on the other hand, have never categorically stated that all Christians are uneducated rednecks. So, as we rednecks say: WTF are you blathering about?

Well, have your fun spitting on atheists, fellas. Feel good for yah?

(*PS: now I R a Yankee twoo)

Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM

39 posts, read 101,158 times
My intention was not to "spit" on atheists. My post was aimed to seek a response as to the motivation behind what appears to be a full frontal assault on my personal liberty and freedoms to believe in a theology. Some responders have stated that they consider atheism to be a philosophy, a view that I accept and respect. Others have outright advised that they are anti-theists and post here because they want to negate theology which they believe to be the root cause of various negative divisions in the world.

Now, as for my comment about illiteracy, you will note that I stated “semi-literate scientifically”. I also conceded that most theists are even less “scientifically literate”. I apologise for any spelling errors I may have made as to my knowledge this forum does not have a spell-check function. And this statement was not intended as an insult, just an accurate description of the majority of posts – I doubt any reasonable person could refute that.

I have a theory that most atheists that post here aim to undermine my beliefs, ridicule people like me and ultimately impinge on my personal freedoms. There doesn’t appear to be much in the way of positive promotion of atheism, just a constant tirade against theists.

Surely, in a free society I should be able to hold a world view based on my belief system, a liberty that you have afforded to yourself.

Perhaps my post may encourage a more positive interaction moving forward, here’s hoping.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:08 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Why is a religion and philosophy forum so totally overrun with athiests?

What exactly is their religion/and or philosophy?

Why do these semi-literate scientifically minded atheists constantly plaster this forum with rhetorical questions and statements usually connected with creation and Noah's arc, aimed at a generally less scientifically literate religious minority?

Is it that athiests come here to:
(a) demonstrate their own level of genius?
(b) belittle those that don't accept certain current theories espoused by sections of the scientific community (even if it is a current majority view)?
(c) undermine faith, as it doesn't directly correspond with their world view?

Why are the athiests that post here are so insecure that they feel obliged to troll these boards at attack the religious minority?

After all, if you have genuine questions about creation science, intelligent design, flood geology, biblical anthropology etc. wouldn't you aim those questions at one of the numerous creation/ID scientist sources rather than scientifically illiterates like me? What are you trying to achieve?

Here are a few sites to get you started:

Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics
Creation Ministries International - Bible Evolution Intelligent Design

Probably because in real life, Atheists (at least in the USA) are constantly undermined and looked down upon. Maybe if believers would actually follow what they preach then the atheists wouldn't be so evangelical.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,859 times
Quote:
I have a theory that most atheists that post here aim to undermine my beliefs, ridicule people like me and ultimately impinge on my personal freedoms.
I'm not sure how atheist posts on an internet forum impinge on your personal freedoms. What exactly are atheists preventing you from doing? Nobody has showed up at your house and taken your bible away or restrained you from going to church.

Quote:
Surely, in a free society I should be able to hold a world view based on my belief system, a liberty that you have afforded to yourself.
Correct, you can hold any world view you like. And, I can mock any world view you hold if I'm so inclined (which I am not). Personal freedom goes both ways.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
moetman wrote:
Quote:
My intention was not to "spit" on atheists. My post was aimed to seek a response as to the motivation behind what appears to be a full frontal assault on my personal liberty and freedoms to believe in a theology.
That language sounds a bit overly dramatic. Are there groups of armed atheists surrounding your house or trying to restrict your movements? Your OP was without a doubt an attempt to take a jab at atheists right from the start and I didn't get any feeling that you really wanted to engage in an intelligent discussion. If you'd like to turn this thread into something positive and actually try to understand our point of view I for one would try to honestly answer any question you may have about atheism and my personal view of life. If you're an American Christian your percentage of the population dwarfs the influence and population of atheists or agnostics. We're not a powerful group of people at all and we're merely expressing our own particular set of beliefs or lack of beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality