Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM

179 posts, read 536,971 times

Advertisements

lol

Why is it that whenever i'm asked whether i believe in God and i say no, i'm an atheist, I get the automatic response of "Then God bless you".

lol i just find that funny as hell!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Well just because you do not believe does not automatically make them not believe. That is their true reaction. Guess they are saying---But I do believe in God.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I guess they are. One poster I recall found that, when she said she was an atheist they said 'I'll pray for you." She replied: "And I'll think for you."

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
lol

Why is it that whenever i'm asked whether i believe in God and i say no, i'm an atheist, I get the automatic response of "Then God bless you".

Do you also complain when atheists themselves say things like "God bless you" or "God bless America"?? Because I know PLENTY of atheists who say these things. The few times I've asked them why they say that if they are atheists I've gotten the responses that "oh, it's just an expression"...

So now, on the other end of it, there's an atheist complaining about it, although other atheists say it...

You must seethe when people say "God bless America" - do you say something to those people???

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Do you also complain when atheists themselves say things like "God bless you" or "God bless America"?? Because I know PLENTY of atheists who say these things. The few times I've asked them why they say that if they are atheists I've gotten the responses that "oh, it's just an expression"...

So now, on the other end of it, there's an atheist complaining about it, although other atheists say it...

You must seethe when people say "God bless America" - do you say something to those people???
Not one of my Atheist friends would ever say god bless America, god bless you or even bless you when someone sneezes. I say gesundheit when someone sneezes, since it means 'good health' and makes much more sense to me.

I've never run into that situation myself, since I don't say it either, but I'm sure I would ignore it.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,511 times
Well the dollar bill would sound stupid with In Physics We Trust, or In Man We Trust. I guess the American Government still trust in God. Guess you don't like it every time you have to spend money. I think it important that man has a belief in a higher controlling being. I am not saying any particular religion is correct. As long as man believes something out there is superior to himself we have the ability to be meek and humble. If we start thinking we are the end of the line we loose site of our humility in this universe. We are at the point where we are intelligent and scientifically wise enough to create sentient beings that will supersede our own abilities and thoughts. Will they look at us a their creator, or be smart enough to realize that they just evolved beyond us, and that something out there is superior to them still. We are all on a journey in the unknown. I think it best to keep a open mind to everything. Believing one way of thought limits the ability of the mind you were born with. When someone says God Bless You it just means they are telling you I wish you the best, and good luck on your journey in the unknown. Most people need a belief to help them in the unknown. My grandfather refused to accept God before he died. He just wanted to live. He was scared as hell to die. Belief in something gives people comfort entering the unknown, and if you die and that is it then you have entered a permanent unknown. Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist. Up to 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers; and up to 48% in Russia. The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges between 6% (Italy) and 85% (Sweden). Do atheist believe in existence, or is it just imagination. What created everything? What came first existence or intelligence? Can existence happen without intelligence, and if so how did it happen. Where did existence come from or has it always been? Man has become scientifically wise enough to just start scratching the surface of such ideas, and have empirical data to back up the thoughts. God Bless You just means good luck on your journey in the unknown without going into this much detail. Your statement of saying I don't believe in God I am a Atheist is like a Gay person being proud that they are Gay and letting everyone know they are gay. No one really cares that they are Gay until the make it known. If I visited Iran or Saudi Arabi do you think I would go around barking that I was a Christian, and that they are not saved since they don't believe in Jesus. Would not do me much good. Probably get me put in jail eventually. Just saying learn the people you are around, and sometimes keepings ones beliefs to themselves is the best thing to do. If you are amongst scientist and intellectuals then talking about what existence is and where it comes from is a excepted subject matter. I guess I would call myself somewhat of a agnostic, but I still hope that something out there lets my sentient self continue to exist after my current mind and body dies. I don't think anyone wants to not exist, and death be the end. I hope not anyways. "May ever lasting existence grant you the chance to continue on".(That is my God Bless You)

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
lol

it's a less than straightforward way of denying your reality.
quite patronizing actually but their intentions are often good i imagine.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,947 times
So then at all these MLB games, like Mets and Yankee games, the only ones who stand respectfully when they play "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch are all non-atheists??? I don't think so... In fact, I know many atheists who stand there respectfully.

I find it hard to believe those of you who claim that you have never heard an atheist use "God" at all. They certainly use it to swear, and I know plenty of radical-right Republican atheists who love to use "God bless" and "God bless America".

I guess I should have known better than to expect realistic answers here, though...

Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,843 times
so if you dont be there is a god where did you come from and who created you?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
If the word God offends you then I will be happy to take your money so you won't need to see the word and carry it around with you all the time. Just let me know and I will set up a bank account you can send it to. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.