Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,399,679 times

Advertisements

Have attended this Non-Denominational church three times and we seem to like it. Wanted to start up a "power boating" Small Group and I talked to a guy on the phone yesterday who is a church member and assists in the organizing of "small groups". Now, I have a very humorous, sarcastic and sometimes arrogant "flare" to my personality that I have found out most church people don't like. Call what they like as non-humor, whatever....I don't know! Anyway, the conversation between this guy and I got very interesting, almost to the point of an argument! He told me that any church group that has a function outside of the church is representing the church which means no alcohol or so-called "partying". When I told him about the kind of music wife and I listen on the water (Aerosmith, ACDC, ZZ Top....Classic Rock), he didn't think too highly of that either. So, what are we suppose to listen to on the water.......Christian music......I DON'T THINK SO!! I told him that I knew about how church functions outside the church represented the church, but I thought what he said was just too strict. I asked him how he'd feel if a boating group stopping at a Hooter's by our local river. He said, "no" that most likely people in the church wouldn't like that place.............hummmmmm, ok????
So, without opening a hornets nest here, what do you think. Wife and I like to have a beer or two on the water while either fishing or cruising and making a stop at Hooter's.....no big deal! I guess, the way this guys feels, even inviting some folks over to our apartment to play some penny/dime Poker and having a beer or two is definitely out also!?
We love Jesus and consider ourselves Christians and enjoy going to church, but we also like having some fun. At 60/61 years old, we haven't got a lot of time to have fun like that! I guess if we want to do both, we have to leave the church folks out of it!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,999,553 times
Frankly I find your version of Christianity more compelling than that of the church....they are still steeped in the rule making and enforcement that Jesus preached against. Also remember, that while you are out there with a cold one and friends, you are also not "in there" tithing and genuflecting and under their authority. Out there, you are under the authority of the Lord, in there you are under their authority which they claim comes from the Lord.......I would rather be Out there than in there any day (not just on Sundays, but particularly on Sundays).

Do what God leads you to do.......as for me, I would find kindred spirits and head for the water..........

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,878 times
The bible says flee from all appearance of evil. That includes the music you listen to, the places you go and gambling. These are all non-Christian practices you are describing. I understand why this guy might have a problem. You might aswell say that you want to take the young men of the church out to a strip bar and have wet teeshirt contests with the young woman.

You can love Jesus all you want. But don't pull other Christians down into your worldly life-style. Us Christians not only want to love Jesus, but want to serve him and follow his commandments and do what the scriptures say.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,361,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have attended this Non-Denominational church three times and we seem to like it. Wanted to start up a "power boating" Small Group and I talked to a guy on the phone yesterday who is a church member and assists in the organizing of "small groups". Now, I have a very humorous, sarcastic and sometimes arrogant "flare" to my personality that I have found out most church people don't like. Call what they like as non-humor, whatever....I don't know! Anyway, the conversation between this guy and I got very interesting, almost to the point of an argument! He told me that any church group that has a function outside of the church is representing the church which means no alcohol or so-called "partying". When I told him about the kind of music wife and I listen on the water (Aerosmith, ACDC, ZZ Top....Classic Rock), he didn't think too highly of that either. So, what are we suppose to listen to on the water.......Christian music......I DON'T THINK SO!! I told him that I knew about how church functions outside the church represented the church, but I thought what he said was just too strict. I asked him how he'd feel if a boating group stopping at a Hooter's by our local river. He said, "no" that most likely people in the church wouldn't like that place.............hummmmmm, ok????
So, without opening a hornets nest here, what do you think. Wife and I like to have a beer or two on the water while either fishing or cruising and making a stop at Hooter's.....no big deal! I guess, the way this guys feels, even inviting some folks over to our apartment to play some penny/dime Poker and having a beer or two is definitely out also!?
We love Jesus and consider ourselves Christians and enjoy going to church, but we also like having some fun. At 60/61 years old, we haven't got a lot of time to have fun like that! I guess if we want to do both, we have to leave the church folks out of it!
I like boating, and Hooters, not much on drinking, and had rather play bridge than poker, but your group sounds fine to me as a social group. I suspect the addition of what sounds like a fundamental christian group would cause stress on the rest of your boating friends. The first time I went to my Yacht Club and found a mass of people praying, or lecturing their religious views I would resign and go over to Hooters for wings and a burger.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM

783 posts, read 1,327,551 times
Quote:
Starting Church "Small Group"......No Go!
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 5: 16)

Read & heed the post by Nikk. I will also advise that you continue in a role of being a disciple for a while prior to seeking a leadership role. Small groups are indeed an arm of the church and as Christians all we do should bring glory to Christ Jesus Who is God. It would also be a good idea to read First Peter 2.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,029,402 times
As Jesus once said, just live your life the way you would want to be happy. Do what you Love instead of what someone else loves. You can still be christian and enjoy the life here on earth because you'll not get another chance.
How you treat others is the overall results of your condemnation. You can still treat others with love while your out there having a party and drinking. Heck, Jesus even drank on occasion. Not because He had to but because He liked the taste of wine.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Ok, told our Banker today about the discussion I had about forming this boating group and he said (and I quote) "Time to find a new church".

In an e-mail, I told a good friend that my wife use to work with about the discussion and she said "I'd say it's time to find a different church".

Talked to my wife's brother last night and he really cracked up laughing at what the guy at the church told me and what I told him. He also told me "I'd stay away from making any close friends at that church".

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM

And, forget to say this, the church does have a Small Group for bikers (Harley riders). Gee, I wonder what kind of fun they have during a ride?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Have to agree with this reply! By the way, didn't the movie, Footloose, go thru something like this with the Pastor of the church? Didn't he say "listening to rock music and dancing always leads to ................". And, I remember Kevin Bacon reading versuses from the Bible at a Community Board Meeting saying how music and dancing was part of "praising".
Let the "party" begin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Then probably best to stay away from churches then, eh?

Ahh, gotta love the fundie 16th century mindset.

Nope, not at all.

Sorry, but boating and listening to rock music, going to Hooters, etc is not on par with strippers and wet t-shirt contests.

As I said before folks, the `tard runs deep in this one..

Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,551 times
Quote:
Ok, told our Banker today about the discussion I had about forming this boating group and he said (and I quote) "Time to find a new church".

In an e-mail, I told a good friend that my wife use to work with about the discussion and she said "I'd say it's time to find a different church".

Talked to my wife's brother last night and he really cracked up laughing at what the guy at the church told me and what I told him. He also told me "I'd stay away from making any close friends at that church".
Where will your banker, a good friend or co-worker be in your time of need? Will they tell you what you want to hear or what you need to hear? I believe you received the answer to this question already.

If you’re truly curious about the Small Group for bikers I would encourage you to check in to it further my guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised with their impact upon that community.

My friend, if you’re looking for a “church” that will tickle your ears there are plenty to choose from. But we are warned about this error in Scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality