Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,107,808 times

Advertisements

AFAIK, observant Jews who join a temple do tithe (we did in Denver), but I've never ever seen a collection plate passed at a synagogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,736,164 times
What is AFAIK? And that is interesting about synagogue. Do they pass a basket or is that not part of the service? Is it sent in or dropped off? Just interesting as I've not heard of that before...however I've never been to a service at synagogue.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,107,808 times
As Far As I Know

In my experience being a Temple member, we paid monthly fees, an arrangement which we had hammered out between us and the synagogue administator when we joined. (It was a huge congregation.)

People under 30 could attend without joining.

Nothing, no plate or basket or anything, was ever passed around, though occasionally there were envelopes in the pews for this or that charity.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,194,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Church must be handing out some pretty nice paychecks, his house was about 4000sq.ft costs around 450,000.00 Nice BMW spider as well. Where exactly does the church get that kind of money anyway? My husband works 70 hours a week and doesnt get that kind of pay. Did I say he was a theif? But if a church hands out that kind of money, I am not chiping in, I will keep it to pay my own bills.
Some preachers are weathly without the church!!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 AM

11,420 posts, read 24,537,780 times
I love going to temple, at least the one in Savannah. I didn't attend often because it made me feel awkward because all of my friends looked at me and said what's she doing here? I mainly felt that I was learning something.

The Episcopal and Catholic churches didn't do it for me because everyone was always kneeling and crossing themselves. But I liked the costumes and smoke.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,194,064 times
I have no problem with giving if I'm visiting a church. I usually go to small churches and they do seem to need more support then, larger ones so I don't mind.

I do have a issue with one denomination my dad was near dying about 5 years ago and he was in the hospital retired so of course the fixed income issue.
I called him and he sounded real worried I asked "what was wrong" he was telling me that he had missed 2 months of tithing and that the church was going to charge interest on his tithing. He needed to come up with the 2 months plus interest. He was so worried that this had put him in bad grace with GOD!! This is were the church is wrong. It would have been nice if they had been helping my parnets rather then, making them feel that God might cast them into hell for non-payment!!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,164,927 times
Are your parents a different Christian denomination than you are, wildberries61? Would you consider sharing the denomination?

Something very strange and singularly off-putting about a church asking a family to tithe, and pay an interest fee, whilst in hospital!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I have no problem with giving if I'm visiting a church. I usually go to small churches and they do seem to need more support then, larger ones so I don't mind.

I do have a issue with one denomination my dad was near dying about 5 years ago and he was in the hospital retired so of course the fixed income issue.
I called him and he sounded real worried I asked "what was wrong" he was telling me that he had missed 2 months of tithing and that the church was going to charge interest on his tithing. He needed to come up with the 2 months plus interest. He was so worried that this had put him in bad grace with GOD!! This is were the church is wrong. It would have been nice if they had been helping my parnets rather then, making them feel that God might cast them into hell for non-payment!!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,164,927 times
If I go to a church that has a plate, I always contribute. However, as this is not a regular practice on my part, it doesn't cost me much to be generous but does seem respectful of the church's practice(s).

And frequently I have gone to Catholic churches both in the US and elsewhere because I like pomp, old architecture and ceremony. Although, I like rituals, but rarely follow them, interestingly I light candles and pay for the privilege whenever I visit.

Although in the Jewish faith as cil stated there is no plate or literal tithing, it is my experience that an annual membership is required at most houses of worship, and membership entitles the family to seats at high holy days. However, I've never known a temple (synagogue) to refuse anyone from attending a service or participant in holiday celebrations if they aren't members.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 AM

942 posts, read 2,588,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why do people think that because a pastor has a nice car or house that they're robbing the church? They receive a paycheck for their hard work. They work more than any of us at our 40 hour work week. It's just petty and ridiculous to think that a pastor is a thief, that we shouldn't give because the pastor has nice things.

Now if he had a run down house and run down car people would be saying...hmmm must not be doing God's will or must be something wrong with him or wow God sure isn't taking care of him. What kind of God does he serve? It's a losing battle.
Hoosier I usually agree with you on most things; religious. However, I do not agree that a pastor or preacher should be driving a BMW. To be humble is a gift from God and one must try yo do his best to understand the needs of his congregation. How can a pastor understand my need or woes when he is driving a BMW???? I do not want the pastor to live in a trailer but whats is wrong with middle income??? I have a friend whose son in law is a pastor. He lives in a million ++ home, he drives a Lexus, his wife a BMW SUV. They have two cleaning ladies. I find it heartbreaking for this man to ask for 105 of anythingin his sermons. Most of the congregation is low to middle income. Why should they pay for his Lexus. The pastor gets paid through the congregation. This is not an issolated case there are many pastors like the one I spoke about.

At my church I give what I can and no it is not a tenth of our earnings because we could not afford it. I believe my Lord understands this and loves and takes care of me just the same as the person that give the tenth. He knows I live my life honoring, obeying and keeping true to His teachings.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,736,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
Hoosier I usually agree with you on most things; religious. However, I do not agree that a pastor or preacher should be driving a BMW. To be humble is a gift from God and one must try yo do his best to understand the needs of his congregation. How can a pastor understand my need or woes when he is driving a BMW???? I do not want the pastor to live in a trailer but whats is wrong with middle income??? I have a friend whose son in law is a pastor. He lives in a million ++ home, he drives a Lexus, his wife a BMW SUV. They have two cleaning ladies. I find it heartbreaking for this man to ask for 105 of anythingin his sermons. Most of the congregation is low to middle income. Why should they pay for his Lexus. The pastor gets paid through the congregation. This is not an issolated case there are many pastors like the one I spoke about.

At my church I give what I can and no it is not a tenth of our earnings because we could not afford it. I believe my Lord understands this and loves and takes care of me just the same as the person that give the tenth. He knows I live my life honoring, obeying and keeping true to His teachings.
No, no, no I did not say a pastor should be driving a beemer. I am in complete agreement with your post. The people who take from us and use it for their gain have to stand before God as we do. Again, I completely agree with you. Sorry if my post made you think I agree with pastors having sweet cars like that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality