Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times

Advertisements

"I want to win the Powerball God," I pray. "Give me more money to pay my bills please," I pray. "Our family is growing and we need a bigger house and car Lord," again I pray. Basically what I'm asking is for God to bless me.

"Bless me because I'm a Christian." "Bless me because, well just because!"

How do you feel when you are attending or visiting a church, synagogue or other religious place and the collection plate is passed around? Do you feel awkward or excited to give? Do you get angry or are you happy? Do you toss a dollar and think "I did my part," or maybe you feel generous and give $20 in the collection basket that week.

Why is it important to give financially to the church? Why do we get so emotional about giving OUR hard-earned dollars to the church? Are we giving to the church or to God? And why 10 percent? Why not 5 percent or even 50 percent? If God has access to all the money in the world, why does He demand US to give OUR hard earned money when it's so expensive just to put gas in our cars!

"But God, I give you my time through volunteer work. I give you my worship and I give you a lot of other things too...why do I have to give you money that is so precious to me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 01:19 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
I was always taught to tithe growing up. Several months ago I became convicted that I was not tithing properly. Malachi 3:10 "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food for my Temple. If you do say the Lord Almighty I will open the windows of heaven for you, I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in, Test me, let me prove it to you". So I said ok, Lord you said I could test so I am and I did. I'm unemployed, but sometimes I sell my photographs or my kind mother sends me money so I started giving back to God 10% of any money I got. And the blessings have been outstanding! I have the most wonderful peace in my heart about this. I believe God blesses those who obey Him. I know He has blessed me and not so much with more money or material stuff, but with His love, His peace. I give back to God because to me it is being obedient to His word and I love Him.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:25 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I think you should go into the ministry, Hoosier. And I'm not making fun of you. You are posting questions intended for a congregation. They're good questions but would better serve a flock of half-committed followers rather than a forum of whatever the heck we are.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:29 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
I've felt insulted because God has no use for money, and too many priests make you believe that, IF you give money, THEN God will bless you more (Our family's own experiences, anyway.)

IMO, God would probably much rather we give to the Hurricane and other DISASTER funds, the SPCA ... neighbor catching a tough break ... a childrens charity --especially considering the nice cars I'd see our priests & nuns driving around in, while some parishoners are struggling to make their kids' tuitions for the schools.
Can remember two classmates missing from my class for awhile because they needed to come up with the tuition. This is why I'd never give to a (Catholic) church again - not one cent.

They care about teaching about God? But couldn't even be a little more discreet with these kids (this was grade school)? They called all the names/grades over the speaker to report to the office. You'd think they'd, at least, help the poorer families out a little! And they wanted those Sunday envelopes from them too, darnit! I was friends with one girl; her dad had died when she was in kindergarten and mom was overwhelmed keeping 4 kids in that school. That Monsignor went to the mother for Block Collection and had the audacity to chastise her!
(This was the same "priest" my own father once requested he "get out of our living room now" - guy had to be on the bottle or something!)

That's not very God-like. We, honestly, used to think God was some big, greedy miser or something. Our PARENTS taught us how to be unselfish, though. Had us each give one of our new Christmas toys to a poor family on the next block. BUT they gave us the choice, after having explained it to us. Our church, although inadvertantly, showed us how to be more greedy & petty, IMO. One family's house burnt down, one girl died. Family didn't get a tuition break for her surviving sister (then in 7th grade; my older sister was close to her.)

They (Catholic ones) "need" collection charity money like Bill Gates does, IMO. And God has even less use for it. People like Mother Theresa and rescue volunteers are genuine and would shame these people into the ground in comparison.

Was quite generous with one church later on in life because the preacher seemed genuine, but really ended up feeling stupid because they were spending the money they begged for on brand new stuff (like fancier chairs) which they didn't even need, and then referring to the chairs as "blessings" from God.
C'mon! They're stupid chairs, for crying out loud! It was more an insult to what God, supposedly, stands for than us fools, giving them this dough!

And these folks get tax breaks and many things for free.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd love to run into some of our old priests and nuns on the street today and give them an earful about misrepresenting what God stands for...

Have been a guest at a Baptist church, and it was so genuine, and modest. Felt more welcomed and comfortable there being the lone white person, than in my own church, that's for sure.

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-15-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think you should go into the ministry, Hoosier. And I'm not making fun of you. You are posting questions intended for a congregation. They're good questions but would better serve a flock of half-committed followers rather than a forum of whatever the heck we are.
There are many Christians on the forum, but my questions are intended for anyone and everyone. You do not have to attend church to answer these questions. You do have an opinion, right? This topic has more than likely come up in your life at one time or another. You do have feelings on these topics, no matter what you believe religiously. I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer. I am genuinely interested in every response. And since I am a Christian I am more interested in the opinions of those who do not believe as I do. But all posts are interesting to me.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
When the collection plate is passed, I put in what I can. The rest of the week. I give of my time and talent to the community and keep it to myself as the Bible teaches

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
There are many Christians on the forum, but my questions are intended for anyone and everyone. You do not have to attend church to answer these questions. You do have an opinion, right? This topic has more than likely come up in your life at one time or another. You do have feelings on these topics, no matter what you believe religiously. I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer. I am genuinely interested in every response. And since I am a Christian I am more interested in the opinions of those who do not believe as I do. But all posts are interesting to me.
I feel that churches are on par with most other charitable organizations. On the occasions I am required to attend, I give whatever I happen to have.

However, if I remember correctly, passing the plate is more of a show than the true means that churches receive support. Most active members pledge and give funds to their churches by check on an annual or regular basis.

By the way, my original comment was intended as a compliment. You may have a gift for this sort of thing.

Last edited by ellie; 04-15-2007 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I enjoy you Hoosier, you are very sincere in your beliefs and respectful of people who may not agree with you. Thanks for being here!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:02 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I enjoy you Hoosier, you are very sincere in your beliefs and respectful of people who may not agree with you. Thanks for being here!!!
I agree! You add so much with your thoughts and questions. Glad you're here my friend!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
Interesting question, Hoosier_Guy. The time that I spent pondering and studying this question, a number of years ago, was partially what led me to stop going to church, because it led me to study on other questions, about my beliefs, and the fact that I wasn't getting satisfactory answers. Anyway, as to the tithing itself, my husband and I use to tithe, faithfully, years ago. When I started studying more about it, my personal conclusion was that tithing, (which means a tenth), was more of a tax, in the Old Testament. I could not find anything in the New Testament commanding tithing. Giving, yes, but not tithing. And, yet most pastors and preachers have insisted that the people must tithe, if they would be obedient to God. They have insisted that it must be 10 percent, (of course, more is better!), although there seems to be a disagreement with Christians as to whether it is to be out of one's gross or net pay. Churches are, for all practical purposes, run like a business. I remember getting a receipt, for tax write-offs, at the end of each year! And, what is the money spent on? Many times it is for something worthwhile, such as a mission helping unwed pregnant girls, or a food pantry, or during times of disaster, etc. On that I need to be fair. However, too many times, it is spent on frivolous nonsense. Change out the carpet, softer cushions on the pews, fancy choir gowns, expensive steeples, (there is a church in my area, that was said to have spent $65,000 on their steeple!). The list is endless.

I don't regularly go to church anymore, for a number of reasons, but I will say that when I do go, on the rare occasion, (anything to do with my step-grandkids, nothing more), I have no problem letting the collection plate slide right on by me. If I want to give or donate, (and I do), I have other outlets for charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality