Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 02:03 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times

Advertisements

In another thread I saw it mentioned that people talk more boldly on internet forums than they do in person.
I might a little but not much. In fact a week or so ago I was talking to a catholic friend ( he seems to ask me a lot of questions on what I believe even if I don’t really want to talk about it. But when he asks I tell him what I think.) Well anyway somehow I told him one of the reasons why I don’t believe in a God, and certainly not a kind and loving heavenly father is because of child abuse. He just listened and did not say anything afterward on the subject. However the next day he said he went home and told his wife what I had said.
Her answer was that “we don’t know why God allows it but it is part of his greater plan“.
I would like to hear from not just Christians but anyone that believes in a higher power, including agnostics.

I won’t show any graphic pictures however please read this news clip and let me know why you think God allows things like this to happen?

Duke staffer held in child sex case - Crime & Safety - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1585547.html - broken link)

Thanks,
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 03:10 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Bowdlerized re-post for C/D's sake:

Did the catholic "friend" (whose "friend" is defaming his "friend") really say that and was it meant for publication?

Or is it compulsory to somehow connect catholicism to child abuse, even if the link didn't even remotely exist?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Bowdlerized re-post for C/D's sake:

Did the catholic "friend" (whose "friend" is defaming his "friend") really say that and was it meant for publication?

Or is it compulsory to somehow connect catholicism to child abuse, even if the link didn't even remotely exist?
Maybe I should have just said a friend that believes in God and his wife who also believe in this same god.

And I'm not sure what your talking about concerning the link.

I don't suppose you could just answer the question and not change the subject.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:02 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,090 times
Well, since you don't believe in God, then you don't believe in Jesus Christ and that is where I make my point. Christ suffered, died and was buried for healing people for saying God's word. So, why would not man suffer?
Why do people automatically think God doesn't exist when stories such as the one you pointed out come to light. You don't think God cries when He sees such abuse? It seems to me people want a perfect world, but, leave God out of it. Everybody wants "Grace" but not work for it. Give it to me now or I don't believe. As for the victim, God most certainly will engage you to live not die in the sin of the perpetrator.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
You don't think God cries when He sees such abuse?
So the answers so far are,
God allows it for his greater plan. (at least one catholics view)
And, that God cries when He sees such things. ( Lionpainters religion)

Anyone else have a different view? Or are those the two answers that explain it?

Boy Dies After Alleged Beating by Dad on Father's Day - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Curious minds want to know.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
Everybody wants "Grace" but not work for it.
........oh nevermind.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
The philosopher Hume asked this question some time ago. He asked, how can an all powerful, all loving god permit evil? Answers were:
A) because it's all part of the mysterious master plan that we cannot know until we die, thus we must practice massive amounts of faith knowing there will be a payoff for not asking too many questions. Or the one that at least trys to be an argument - B) because without pain and death and sadness fear, we would take the good things in life for granted. Kind of like... If you eat steak every night for dinner, You aren't going to appreciate it as much as the guy the hasn't had anything but potato's for a couple months.

But if you ask me, the suffering to appreciation ratio is a bit weighted on the suffering side. There is a lot of suffering going around and we still don't appreciate our Big Macs and gas guzzlers all that much

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Well, since you don't believe in God, then you don't believe in Jesus Christ and that is where I make my point. Christ suffered, died and was buried for healing people for saying God's word. So, why would not man suffer?
Why do people automatically think God doesn't exist when stories such as the one you pointed out come to light. You don't think God cries when He sees such abuse? It seems to me people want a perfect world, but, leave God out of it. Everybody wants "Grace" but not work for it. Give it to me now or I don't believe. As for the victim, God most certainly will engage you to live not die in the sin of the perpetrator.
I don't really think that Jesus suffered all that much. It was predestined, self determined and by choice that Jesus ended up where he did. Besides he knew where he was going when all was said and done. And it's not really all that fair that I should suffer cancer, or random gunshots, just because someone 2000 years ago killed Jesus (like they did every other boat rocker). This would be like a black man blaming you for slavery. It's unfair to judge all of humanity by the actions of a corrupted bronze age civilization that fell apart from its own rot.

I can agree with you that we should leave god out of it. This world is our mess that we made and we need to clean it up. I can totally agree that we need to be responsible for the human condition and work to better it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality