Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

206 posts, read 233,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
....it has no rational support and atheism does.
Cite any evidence that proves God does not exist.

Atheism is a faith, not arrived at because of evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
Cite any evidence that proves God does not exist.

Atheism is a faith, not arrived at because of evidence.
It cannot be seen, it cannot be felt, it can only be known in someone's head. And eveone gets different ideas of what it is and what it wants unless they get together in a huddle and agree. And even then..

There is no sign of any god input. Claims that a god helped to win battles or help 'their' people do not pan out. The evidence is that no god intervenes.

We know a lot more about how things work. At one time everything was put down to a god. The reasons to suppose there might be one have shrunk.

What reason is there to suppose there is one? Just the gaps for God. we don't know what made the universe. We don't know where life came from.

'Don't know' is a reason to be agnostic, not theist, and the belief that comes out of agnosticism can only be, logically, atheism.

That, succinctly, is the body of evidence that is reason not to believe in a god.

Now, the person believing in a god is the one making the claim. it is for that person to prove their case. It isn't for me to prove why I shouldn't believe. But I have given my evidence as I want to be fair to you and give my reasons why the god - claims do not add up. Unlike evolution, if you find the reasons to believe do not add up, atheism is the only logical default. It is not a faith, it is an absence of one.

Over to you.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 PM

206 posts, read 233,852 times
Agnosticism is an honest position.

Atheism is not. To claim to 'know' what one doesn't know and cannot know is not honest.

As one has said, 'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.'

Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
sorry you dont like the posts. i have discovered a new found respect for true atheists thru these posts. smart educated and with good ethics. i am not talking about ex church members that are on a rant against their former church bek they wont rubber stamp their new life style, i mean real atheists.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
Agnosticism is an honest position.

Atheism is not. To claim to 'know' what one doesn't know and cannot know is not honest.

As one has said, 'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.'
Learn, mark, and inwardly digest, this.

Agnosticism is a knowledge position. 'I don't know whether there is a god or not'

Atheism is a logical belief position based on agnosticism. 'I don't know whether there is a god or not (though the evidence certainly indicates not) so until there is better evidence I will not believe in a god.

Kindly don't get it wrong again.

To 'know' there is a God when one does not know and cannot know is theism. It is illogical.

Sagan said "'Absence of evidence is not NECCESSARILY evidence of absence." Get the quote right. However, it was a very unfortunate remark as the theists have taken it out of context as supposed support for God.

Sagan (as I understand it) was talking about intelligent life in the universe. There's a lot of it we don't know about The evidence (lots of stars lots of time) suggests that no evidence of life does not mean there is none. But the evidence suggests it is a good possibility.

However, as I said, if one doesn't know there is a god there is no reason to believe in one. It is a possibility, but (unlike life, which we know came about here) there is nothing to indicate God as a 'good possibility'.

Further, Sagan was talking about life at the other end of the universe. If he had been saying that no evidence of alien life on this planet doesn't mean there isn't any, he would have gone badly off logic.

No good evidence for any alien life on this planet means that it not a good possibility and there is certainly no logical reason why we should believe it as though it was fact.

And the same applies to god-belief.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sorry you dont like the posts. i have discovered a new found respect for true atheists thru these posts. smart educated and with good ethics. i am not talking about ex church members that are on a rant against their former church bek they wont rubber stamp their new life style, i mean real atheists.
Should we (tm) that?

Problem is most "real" atheists are ex theists hence they have drunk the whine and sung from your songsheet and usually know the scriptures better than most believers.

The only gripe I have with my former church, they conned me out of over $30k. According to them, gawd would give back "ten" times or more hence gawd owes me $300k. Not only was it a scam, but in the process of being a faithful tither, I lost a very lucrative contract and was not due to any fault or lack on my part for trying to service my customer right.

Apart from that, I did some deep studies and came to the conclusion it was but a greco/roman myth used to control the masses.

They say actions speak louder than words aka you shall know them by their fruits. When my business failed and I no longer was the "big" tither in the church, they kinda lost interest in me.

I am back on my feet now but any xian I deal with from now, I add a 20% surcharge - atheists remain so far my best customers (and usually pay cash) and the Muslim suppliers the most honest in the industry I am now in. The only ones to ever do me in spiritually and in business were all xians but I guess you will tell me they were not True christians (tm)?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
=justme58;9585883]Should we (tm) that?
Yes. 'Real' atheists are those who did not do anything nasty. Like nast Christians who are not 'real christians' Stalin was not a 'Real' atheist.

Quote:
.. they have drunk the whine ...

Quote:
The only gripe I have with my former church, they conned me out of over $30k. According to them, gawd would give back "ten" times or more hence gawd owes me $300k....scam...
..sorry.

Quote:
They say actions speak louder than words aka you shall know them by their fruits. When my business failed and I no longer was the "big" tither in the church, they kinda lost interest in me.

Good post. Sorry for the bad crap you took but the post made me wipe my eyes..

Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Good post. Sorry for the bad crap you took but the post made me wipe my eyes..
TY

The only time the inside of a church sees me know is for the 'atched events

hatched
matched
dispatched
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality