Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,087,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If that is so, then why did so many of your bible heros have multiple wives? Not only that, but some had quite a bit on the side as well. Before you put down others remember that there is lots of polygamy in the bible.
The Law in the OT allowed for multiple wives, but the practice was not encouraged or endorsed by God. It was the many wives (and their false religions) that caused David and Solomon to fall into sin, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Cults (which include religion) place restrictions on certain foods at certain times and sexual behavior. America's christian evangelists certainly revolve around money and power. Conveniently, you forgot those.
You're right. A lot of them do focus too much on money and power. Christians are not exempt from it.
Quote:

The bible counsels to control our desires? To what end? What good does it do?
We need to focus on more lasting, higher things. It's crazy to think that our desires for earthly things would get in the way of a relationship with your creator.
Quote:
Religion is unnatural, against everything instinctive. Religion considers itself successful by mutilating the human mind.
Some religion is, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
IIRC, the old testament says that you can marry as many women as you want as long as you provide for them.
Can you locate that verse for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:40 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,222,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
So, should we all simply follow our natural instincts?

If not, why not?
It all depends if you want to be human or not. It also depends on your reason for living.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,947,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Can you locate that verse for me?
One of them is Exodus 21 10-11. Interestingly enough, it's in the context of laws that god gave to moses regarding slaves.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,335,029 times
Being a married man, I can speak from experience that abstinence is the most effective form of birth control... no kids yet

Humans are proned to do what feels good, and they're going to do it despite the consequences much of the time. The problem I find with abstinence is that it is so absolute in nature. A person can go their whole teenage years without having sex once, but eventually many of they will slip. So what's a young semi-couple with no knowledge of birth control or disease prevention to do when they slip up?

I think that Coos hit the nail, abstinence is fine, but when it fails, the whole thing is a failure and it creates a lot of headache for everyone. I would rather have a person that is savvy about sex than totally ignorant about it. Sure they may get around more, but it beats getting around once and catching a disease or pregnancy on the first time.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
So, should we all simply follow our natural instincts?

If not, why not?
We all do follow our natural instincts a LOT. Think of emotions, sex drive, running from things that scare us, pleasure seeking. Not a day goes by that we don't use our natural instincts.

We also have a mind able to handle logic and abstracts, make long term decisions and so on. Both have their time and place, it's all about the balance of the two. Even at that, much of our logical decisions work in conjunction with with our instincts.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It all depends if you want to be human or not. It also depends on your reason for living.
I would have to agree with this, it is indeed what makes us so human.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
One of them is Exodus 21 10-11. Interestingly enough, it's in the context of laws that god gave to moses regarding slaves.

Hmm......it states:

Exodus 21:10-11
(10) If he takes another wife,23 he must not diminish the first one's food,24 her clothing, or her marital rights.25
(11) If he does not provide her with these three things, then she will go out free, without paying money.26

I don't see anything in there about "as many women as you want". Can you show me?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Hmm......it states:

Exodus 21:10-11
(10) If he takes another wife,23 he must not diminish the first one's food,24 her clothing, or her marital rights.25
(11) If he does not provide her with these three things, then she will go out free, without paying money.26

I don't see anything in there about "as many women as you want". Can you show me?
How? It says that if you can afford to maintain the wives standard of living you can have another wife. It pretty much says that all you have to be able to do is afford them (how do you even afford one ). It may not directly say that you can have as many as you want but the point is that it sure doesn't say that we are supposed to be limited to one wife either. Maybe five or six? Ten? or 700 wives and 300 concubines....

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,947,748 times
Wait, does this mean that kdbrich is ok with having exactly two wives?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hang on, please address the god mandated bigamy here.
Can you show me where God "mandated" it? Seems like he is regulating it, more than "mandating" it. God also allowed the hard-hearted people to divorce, although he also said he hates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
How? It says that if you can afford to maintain the wives standard of living you can have another wife. It pretty much says that all you have to be able to do is afford them (how do you even afford one ). It may not directly say that you can have as many as you want but the point is that it sure doesn't say that we are supposed to be limited to one wife either. Maybe five or six? Ten? or 700 wives and 300 concubines....
Ok. I'll give you that--he does permit it. I won't argue that point anymore. I misspoke and you've set me straight.

Also, good point about being able to afford one. After my wife discovered how to use Ebay a few years ago it's cost me/us a lot of money.

It is interesting though, that the many wives/concubines of Solomon was his undoing. They drew him away from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality