Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,085,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Strawman...... Rape is not about sex, it's about violence and control. You may find it "natural", but most of us don't.

Many do find it "natural". Regardless of motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM

206 posts, read 234,116 times
Quote:
Strawman...... Rape is not about sex, it's about violence and control. You may find it "natural", but most of us don't.
Rape is about both sex and control.

Control is a 'natural' drive.

Anybody who doubts that humans attempt to control one another by various means (some of them violent) has been on the desert island too long.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:57 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,410,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
Yep, it's hard.

Lazy parents won't attempt it.

It's hard to tell a kid he can't or shouldn't have everything he wants.

Parents who avoid teaching that lesson are setting their kids up for problems, not just in their marriage.
So HOW exactly do you enforce it?! You can't be there 24/7 now can you. My dad tried to enforce it but guess what...I did have sex before I was married! Luckily I am married to the only guy I have ever touched.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM

33,602 posts, read 37,245,373 times
Quote:
Rape is about both sex and control.

Control is a 'natural' drive.

Anybody who doubts that humans attempt to control one another by various means (some of them violent) has been on the desert island too long.

Myth: Men rape women because they are sexually aroused or have been sexually deprived.

This myth is also widespread. It serves as an excuse for male aggression, especially in a society where women are portrayed as the ones responsible for male sexual arousal. Witness the phrase “she turned me on.†It suggests that male sexual arousal is an uncontrollable urge that must be satisfied. It also suggests that a lack of access to sexual partners leaves no other choice but to rape.

Fact: Men rape women to exert control and confirm their power.

The motives for rape are complex and varied but often include hostility against women in general, the desire to feel and exert power and control, the desire to humiliate and degrade, and in some cases the desire to inflict pain. Most men who rape have available sexual partners at the same time they are raping other women.

Myths and Facts (http://www.calcasa.org/34.0.html - broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,343,754 times
This always comes down to "the kids" and "the parents" when the reality is that what the OP suggests would mostly effect adults, those with strong healthy sex drives and no parents to put the blame on. Not everyone will get married, or marry by the time they are 21. It's one thing to say "don't do it" to a kid in high school or college, quite another to say it to a 28 year old professional man who has been "taking care of business" himself since he was 13 or so. Or not, depending on whether or not THAT act is also "evil". I know I'm not comfortable with the idea of telling someone like that to just "not do the deed. EVER". ARE YOU? REALLY?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,144 times
I agree with you that God wants us to practise abstinence. I honor God with my body and refuse to allow a guy to mess over my body. In todays society sex is thrown around and people actually look at people who carry themselves in a way that honors God funny.

Its really sad when you see people sleeping around without any respect for themselves and it is also sad when people allow anyone to do what ever to there body. There isn't any respect with some people.

But we as people do make mistakes and God is faithful if we turn away from our wicked ways.

Honor God with your body and keep your body holy. By living a life of abstinence I don't have to worry about diseases or having any babies and I love it.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM

33,602 posts, read 37,245,373 times
Awww, come on Shawn, sex is a good heart healthy exercise, and fun too! I've been single since '92 but have still managed to keep up my exercise program.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,688,395 times
Quote:
JetJockey,

Did you believe every rumor that you heard?

Considering I went to the clinic with two of them, and the other was the younger sister of my best friend?

Not a whole lot of rumours to believe.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:10 PM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
teaching abstanince is fine but it only works with a few. of the few many
who are saving themselves for marraige by abstaining from intercourse, are however doing everything but. oral sex is not abstaing at all. they are having sex just not going all the way. this to me is talking out both sides of your mouth.

once you are over a certain age there is no reason at all to not have sex as long as both parites are willing.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:25 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,144 times
Quote:
Awww, come on Shawn, sex is a good heart healthy exercise, and fun too! I've been single since '92 but have still managed to keep up my exercise program.
I don't have anything against people who practice having sex, but I for one can't treat my body that way. I honor my body by not having sex and honestly, it really doesn't bother me. God gives me the grace to with stand and handle situations when they come up.

Yes, I am human and temptations come up, but I just ask God to give me grace when I feel that I am being tempted. Sex is for marriage, but in todays society some don't even know what that means.

If it wasn't for God grace, I'm sure I would be out there having sex, due to me not being able handle not having sex.

But honestly, it's not that hard for me, because God is sustaining my mind and my body, is such a way that I don't feel obligated to have sex.

If I do get married then of course that is a gift that I will give to my husband, but if not then I'm sure God will prepare me for a live of celibacy.

Maybe its just me, but sex isn't that big of a deal to me. I have other things that I focus my time and attention on. But wrap it up and keep safe, because there is so much out there to catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality