Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
You have a belief in Christ. You believe He is the Son of God. You would die for that belief, the belief that Jesus is the Christ and you would not renounce him.

Montana and GCS, if you wouldn't die for the belief you hold in atheism, then why do you hold to the belief? Why would you renounce something you're basing your life on and pretend to believe in Allah or Jesus? Is that saying there are some doubts in your atheism?

I'm actually posing a serious question and not trying to create any problems. I'm genuinely interested.
I think this is one of the general things about me that most religious people don't understand but I can see how the misconception could be made.

Hoosier, I realize your question is a sincere one so please allow me to give you a serious answer in response.

I fully realize that for most Christians, their very central belief in the Christian God/Jesus is what they hope is at the core of their very humanity and persona. I realize that most try to conform their lives into a solid playing field where Christ is the central component to their very beings. It is largely how you try to define yourself, it is largely how you view yourself, and it's what you seek and strive for to find fulfillment in your life. In other words, being a Christian more or less defines you. Or, at least, that is the impression that I get from most believers - that their religious belief is what defines them as individuals.

But, Hoosier, my non-belief is not what guides me or defines me. I don't sit in deep pondering to myself that because I don't believe in God I must therefore adhere to a certain strict set of standards or lines of thinking. While not believing in God is, I suppose, a component of my life when put in relative comparison to other human beings, I refuse to let that one word define who I am through a strict set of dichotomies. In the grand scheme of things, in my opinion, my dis-belief is nothing more than that and that alone. It's not a guide to living, it's not a philosophy, it's not a practice. It's simply non-belief. I think that's why many Atheists, myself included, typically try to analogize their disbelief with something like Santa Claus. Because, to put it in perspective, I know of no other way to describe the non-importance of a belief in God in my life than to analogize it to something that just about everyone doesn't believe in.

The obvious question is essentially the 800-pound gorilla in the room. If I don't believe in God, if I don't believe in a rigid set of rules or structure to define me and if I don't adhere to any other religious doctrine, how exactly do I define myself and what is it that I believe in?

I define myself as a complex human being in the midst and breadth of millions and billions of other complex human beings. I cannot say there is one single frame of thought that I wish to adhere to. I despise the use of terminology that seeks to describe me as something in a narrow frame of reference. I'm a fan of Keynesian economics, to a certain extent, but I'm not a Keynesian as I don't agree with everything he said. I'm a fan of Freud but I'm not strictly a Freudian because I don't agree with everything he said. I'm a fan of Dawkins but I'm not a "Dawkinsian" because I don't agree with everything he says.

Pick a philosopher, pick a famous literary author, or pick a famous religion. I do my best to "cherry pick" the finest and best parts of the most brilliant minds, religions, and thoughts that I can to comprise who and what I am. I take it upon myself to read the works of Steinbeck, Orwell, Twain and Hemmingway for powerful analogous inputs and insights to the way the human race and governments can be. I love to read Hawking, Greene and Kaku for some of the most fantastic explanations of physics and how our universe operates. I like to read Darwin's theories for both the social and natural implications it presents. I enjoy reading Dawkins for his truly elaborate and eloquent explanations of evolutionary biology. I love to read Hitchens for his unparalleled wit, splendid vocabulary and his absolutely incredible investigative reporting (read his articles in Slate magazine if you don't believe me - rarely do they have anything to do with religion). But, I wouldn't consider myself a Steinbeckian, or an Orwellian, or a Twain-ist, or a Hemmingway-ist. Nor would I be a Hawking-ist, Greene-ist, or Kaku-ist. Perhaps a Darwinist in terms of my scientific understanding of the natural world but not in social principle. To that, I will concede.

I relish and ravage books on history to learn lessons, pejoratives and precedents for modern day society and to often gawk and stare at how things repeat themselves so often. I read SciAM, Discover, and National Geographic or The Economist quite frequently to stay updated on the natural world and the latest and greatest discoveries in geo-politics. I examine the cultures of the world when I can by going there, and when I can't, I read and watch brilliant men like Anthony Bourdain who have a real and true sarcastic wit, brutal honesty and non-fanatical way of exploring culture and food. But, I'm not a Sciam-ist, Discoverist, or National Geographist. Nor would I be considered a Bourdain-ist.

I listen to podcasts of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for a rather amazing and fun insight to history. I stay updated when and where I can on poetry, on new literature (if you ever get the time, read Shantaram it's absolutely splendid), and music (which all sucks now anyway). But, I'm not a Carlinian or a Shantaramian.

When I get the time, I'll listen to Beethoven or Mozart or Bach. Sometimes that'll be on the same MP3 player as Nine Inch Nails and Stevie Wonder. And, in the meanwhile, when things are kind of busy, I brush up on my Japanese with my wife and the "Rosetta Stone." But I'm not a Beethoven-ist, a Mozart-ist, a Bachian or a Reznor-ian. Nor am I Japanese.

And sometimes, when I'm bored or just hanging around the house, I'll brush up on the New Testament and the Old Testament but I'm not a Christian.

But, in all of that, like I said before - I'm not a Keynesian, Freudian, or a "Steinbeckian." I'm not a "Hitchensian," "Dawkinsian," or "Bourdainian." I'm not a "Locke-ist?" or a "Kaku-ist."

Most of all, Hoosier, I would take it with great pride if people called me a "True Intellectual" in the same capacity that you would undoubtedly take great pride if someone called you a "True Christian." However, I am extraordinarily hesitant to label myself as such because I feel it is haughty and cocky for me to do so. I would hope others would say that about me without me having to "remind" them of what I am or hope to be. That, to me, is when your actions truly speak louder than words - when your very actions remind people of a genuinely good descriptive label that you seek to define yourself by.

In all of that, I think that I am able to make concrete, decided, morally sound and decent decisions that allow me to be an acceptable part of society. You asked in the OP if someone would die for their beliefs?

In so much as my Atheism - I could care less. It's not that big a deal to me. Yes, I make no hesitation to let people know that I don't believe in God but I'm not going to lose my mind if I were forced under the threat of torture to profess belief. What would I be willing to fight and possibly die for? The right to free belief, free opinion, free knowledge and free decision making. The right to make decisions not based on dichotomy but on a plethora of different things. The right to learn as you wish, to read as you wish and to study as you wish. That is, in part, one of the reasons why I joined the military and one of the reasons why I think America offers so much to the world. And, might I add, something I don't think many religious people truly embrace or even promote.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 07-11-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,314 times
The whole question departs from the assumption that there will be a militant atheist or theist uprising with the sole intent of doing away with the other based on the assumption that either will have the ability to execute their opponents.

The last time I looked, 99.99% of countries, murder is illegal.

Thus if we take it from an atheist standpoint, the meme of the christians with the antichrist et al, it is assumed that we the atheists will be "convinced" of its supposed messiahship and we will team up with the Jews to eradicate christians worldwide.

The problem here is that the Jews do not believe in an antichrist and neither do atheists, why would we suddenly be duped into believing the supernatural?

Does the bible not say that the very elect will/can be deceived?

It stands to reason then that the likely scenario will be inversed and if the christians had the power to convert by forced coercion, they would be the likely candidates to be going around chopping folks heads off for not believing in their gawd. I mean you folk have a vivid history of doing this and of course the OT has nuances of condoning murder and rape contrary to the ten commandments.

Atheists are happy to see humanity evolve beyond the need for beliefs in myths and to my knowledge (no communism/dictatorship is NOT atheism) atheists have not conglomerated to enforce or postulate their beliefs. Granted they may want your prayers and icons removed from schools and government but I am not aware that there are moves to forbid religious freedom. Religious freedom is that you practice this outside of government and public schools.

Thus by this premise and the history of the American evangelist pushing their agenda into government - in god we trust on your money and one nation under god added to your oath/pledge of allegiance, atheists are pushing back. I am sure that they will accept the transition of law and have no need to call to arms to do this. It is of course known that evangelical theists in the USA are the ones arming themselves or the three G's

Guns
Gays
God

Most atheists I know show more the tolerance Jesus taught as opposed to his followers/representatives.

So that is why an atheist will lie to save his life, not because there is doubt of their beliefs or lack thereof.

A sidenote.

Who are the people flocking to the next great move of god?

Atheists
Christians

Refer to recent Todd Bentley debacle in Florida.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I think there are very few people who would die for a belief, even among those who claim they would.

Yes, in Christian lore Jesus died for you, but nowhere does it suggest you should "die for him". It would be pointless.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Hoosier, you seem to be yet another Christian who thinks that atheism is more than it is. It is so simple. We do not believe in God. Not your God or any other, so when you get right down to it, you too are an atheist when it comes to any God other than the one you have chosen to believe in. Would you give up your life for the Gods you do not believe in?....This has probably been said a hundred times or more here, Atheism is not a belief, a doctrine, a life style, or a religion. The only time I really think about it is here on this board, and that is simply because it is discussed here.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
I don't wish to sound disrespectful, but, I am a little dubious of those who make the claim that they would willingly die for their God/beliefs, (whoever, and whatever they believe, Christian, or otherwise). How can they truly know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they really would, despite their protests to the contrary, unless they have already been in such a situation? A strong belief, in times of safety, does not equate to a willingness to die for it, if, and when the threat of bodily harm actually comes.

It is one thing for people to sit at their computers, or in their places of worship, and make such bold statements, statements that they staunchly believe, with every fiber of their being. However, it would be something entirely different, if one were faced with imminent death, particularly if it were a very hideous one. That would be the telling moment as to whether or not one would actually be willing to die for their beliefs, or for their God. Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying that they wouldn't, (obviously, many folks have). What I am saying, is that a verbal show of bravery is not the same is doing the deed, and until one was faced with such a situation, it would seem to be a little presumptuous to make such statements of faith and stalwart courage.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
^
thank you, Celtic Lady, for saying what many people all over the world, may never be able to say, and therefore need to hear!!!

at last. at least.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:54 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Hoosier wrote:
Quote:
Montana and GCS, if you wouldn't die for the belief you hold in atheism, then why do you hold to the belief? Why would you renounce something you're basing your life on and pretend to believe in Allah or Jesus? Is that saying there are some doubts in your atheism?
I really don't base my life on my atheism. I don't believe in God but there's all sorts of things I don't believe in like esp, reincarnation and astrology but I don't see the lack in believing in something to be particularly important. I see my overall character, how I treat other people and other personal traits as being much more significant than my atheism. Christians really do base their lives on their faith so it's a very different situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality