Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,813,167 times

Advertisements

Isn't it weird to think of Jesus as he was then, if he was here now? What if he was in America? He'd be a somewhat shorter, skinny, middle eastern man possibly with dreads roaming in the desert. I know that we make him white/black soft hair so we can relate to him on the basic levels of physical attributes, the first thing if he have physical sight we register about people but it's just kind of crazy to think about. What kind of depictions of Christ do you prefer? Do you prefer to see him as your race instead of his? Would you prefer to see a depiction of truth incarnate as a woman? The super-hero bad-ass thing? The frail man on the cross? Or more like the period of art that moves away from physical depictions of Christ in biblical images and acknowledges his presence with the sun? Please post images of your faves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,776,362 times
I'm quite certain of a few things. If you consider the fact HE was a Hebrew (Jewish) in those days in particular, not to mention today, there are some characteristics that one would expect to see. In HIS case I would expect to see a messiah of average height and build (probably between 5'8 and 5'10", medium bone structure, slightly larger jaw and nose structures and very slightly darker skin. No doubt he had a rabbinic beard (HE was a Rabbi after all). As for hair I doubt it was straight as depicted by the ch-rch. It was likely mid length slightly curly as well (don't know many Jewish people with perfectly straight hair). That is whom I am expecting to see when HE returns.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Wouldn't he come back completely divine? Not human? I don't know. But how do you like to see depictions of him? Like that?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,033,554 times
This is a description of Jesus as He appeared to one of the spirits who contributed to the messages of our church. This is her description while she is residing in her own place in heaven. Mary was also part egyptian so the eyes are probably from her as she also had blond hair and blue eyes.

He is of a commanding figure, as you say on earth. His features are regular, and his eyes are of a deep blue, almost a purple blue, with such depths of love in them that under its influence you almost forget to note the color of his eyes. The hair is a beautiful brown, worn long and parted in the middle so that it falls over his shoulders. His nose is straight and somewhat long, with nostrils very refined and showing the artistic elements in his nature. His other features are in keeping with those I have described. He wears a beard quite long and very silky and brown like his hair. His manner is grace itself and modesty personified, and yet in him is the intensity of feeling which can show itself in just indignation when the occasion requires. And yet with all the great beauty of his person and the greater love of his soul showing itself, he is very humble - more so than any spirit I have seen.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Yea, I like that depiction, but I don't picture him with a beard, I don't know why I just don't. I definitely like thinking of him as taller, I read on one sight that he could have been like 5'1". I prefer him to be taller than me when I picture him. But since his 'DNA' as we like to think of the term could have been 100% God the article said he could have looked like anything if it wasn't 50% God. Also, I prefer like what you said, a dignified intense manner, not really frail. And like someone said before I picturing him darker, but he could have been much darker than I picture him. As far as art goes, I like seeing him personified.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't know where Reverend is getting THAT idea. Sounds like something right out of a church of rome depiction. Next he'll say that Messiah will show up with one of the depicted Sun god rings around HIS head......sheesh......NOT.............

Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,033,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I don't know where Reverend is getting THAT idea. Sounds like something right out of a church of rome depiction. Next he'll say that Messiah will show up with one of the depicted Sun god rings around HIS head......sheesh......NOT.............
I'M A GIRL.

You know, if you don't like the things I post, why are you bothering to slam them with comments instead of just overlooking them? Seems like you didn't read what I posted. The post of the description was CHANNELED. It wasn't an idea. If you don't like it, move on and keep the negatives to yourself because you are only hurting you and not me.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 PM

22,626 posts, read 19,334,791 times
Since Jesus was a Jew, I'd find him at the synagogue just down the street.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM

LOL, well HE did say "to the Jew first".

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,119,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
This is a description of Jesus as He appeared to one of the spirits who contributed to the messages of our church. This is her description while she is residing in her own place in heaven. Mary was also part egyptian so the eyes are probably from her as she also had blond hair and blue eyes.
You have to be kidding!

The genetic markers for blue eyes popped up only 4,000 to 10,000 years ago from a single human mutation that likely lived in the area of the Black Sea, not the middle east and definitely not Egypt.

He is of a commanding figure, as you say on earth. His features are regular, and his eyes are of a deep blue, almost a purple blue, with such depths of love in them that under its influence you almost forget to note the color of his eyes. The hair is a beautiful brown, worn long and parted in the middle so that it falls over his shoulders. His nose is straight and somewhat long, with nostrils very refined and showing the artistic elements in his nature. His other features are in keeping with those I have described. He wears a beard quite long and very silky and brown like his hair. His manner is grace itself and modesty personified, and yet in him is the intensity of feeling which can show itself in just indignation when the occasion requires. And yet with all the great beauty of his person and the greater love of his soul showing itself, he is very humble - more so than any spirit I have seen.[/quote]

Pure euro-centric fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality