Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is classic cult stuff. When someone questions they are told they are "turning away." Of course the Bible says this is to be expected. All cults warn not to question. It's why Christianity is self-perpetuating and the most popular book in the world.
Actually, I find it just the oppsite, it is often those who believe the science of the day, and do not question what they have been taught in the classroom who act more like cult members. The Bible has strong evidence for it stories, far more than what most have for their non Biblical views. It's sad, that there are so many in the churches that have not considered these facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Actually, I find it just the oppsite, it is often those who believe the science of the day, and do not question what they have been taught in the classroom who act more like cult members. The Bible has strong evidence for it stories, far more than what most have for their non Biblical views. It's sad, that there are so many in the churches that have not considered these facts.
Wow, I felt my IQ drop at least 20 points just for having read that.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
"An all-time low." That's a pretty impressive statement. I thought that maybe Biblical knowledge might have been lower when the majority of the people couldn't read. And I'm sure the Church will only give lip service to the notion of remedying the situation. After all, the less people know, the easier it is to feed them the "information" to want them to have.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

It's only going to get worse .
No, it's only going to get better. The less that sheeple rely upon an archaic tome of murderous fairy tales to tell them how to act like a reasonable human being, the better.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,001,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And here is a prime example of what the OP is talking about...
You can predict the replies, book, chapter and verse, with relative ease. You can even predict the cookie cutter replies also.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,762 times
Quote:

Only in your tiny little world, sparky. Only in your world...

Hate to break it to you (not really), but the only strong evidence going for the Bible is that it is a blatantly plagiarized piece of camel poo-doo.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:37 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
There is a grain of truth in what you say here, Campbell34, as there often is in a quite a few fatheaded pronouncements by theists. Most people who pick up their 'facts' don't pick them up from very good sources. They learn their lessons in school and often don't question them. Of course, we are prone (I might almost say conditioned by evolution) to unquestioningly learn what we are taught. The only protection we have against being misled is that what we are taught is based on the best information that logic, reason and evidence, checked through the scientific method, peer - reviewed, published and then taught, is at least reliable.

It is the other kind of teaching - getting an indea in the head and developing the theory, ignoring any evidence that discredits it (like your east gate stuff, Campell34) dismissing all the counter - evidence (like creationists) finding significance in curious natural rocks like Daniken's 'Giant's causeway', the Marcuasi 'statues' and the red sea coral 'chariot wheels', and fakery like the Solomon stele, the James sarcophagus and the Ica stones, Cambell34b - that is the stuff of cults.

It is understandable that cultists such as UFO buffs, Gods -from- outer- space merchants and Bible-literalist creationists would assume that the science-based material of the educational curriculum is done the same way. But that's just their ignorance, Campbell34; just their ignorance.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 AM

11 posts, read 9,477 times
Well, I am agnostic if anything, but I could see why most Christians don't read The Bible. I do believe parts, but you would have to be generally interested for some reason or have had spiritual experiences to want to read The Bible.

For a lot of Christians, their religion is tradition more than anything. And yes, a lot have not read The Bible past the first two sentences, the same as most people.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,001,661 times
I guess I should have pointed out the fact that this guy, Barna, is looking at all of this through fundamentalist/evangelical eyes. As XJayXJ pointed out, the larger chunk of Christians the world over treat their religion as nothing more than a tradition and ritual which does not require any serious knowledge of the Bible. Of course, the "I'm part of the chosen of God" minority of self-proclaimed True Christians™ don't consider THOSE people to be real Christians so they don't count. That being said, their ranks are just as biblically illiterate too.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
No surprises there. People who actually have knowledge of The Bible tend to abandon Christianity.
Exactly! Add me to that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality