Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,965,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Fair enough.
Thanks. I don't like coming off like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,058,309 times
Quote:
You did a simple word search through the gospels and found that the word Heaven came up more times than Hell did. Very true.
You missed my disclaimer, well this is fundy logic at work
Quote:
Unfortunately, this does not shed any light on whether or not Jesus preached more on heaven than Hell.
I have done this before and won't waste my time again. Most of Jesus' "teachings" on hell were directed at the religious of the day and not the sinners.
Quote:
Hundreds of times Jesus makes a reference to heaven, but is clearly not talking about nor preaching directly on the literal heaven that Christians will go to when they die (the New Jerusalem). For instance, throughout the book of Matthew Jesus constantly refers to "The Kingdom of Heaven", yet this is not talking about a literal heaven.
Hundreds eh? I don't think my list tallies up to a hundred - you count it.
Quote:
If it is, then we have a lot of explaining to do: Mt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
You started off with Jesus, violence and xianity now there's a winning formula.
Quote:
Jesus constantly refers to heaven by saying things like "My Father in Heaven", yet this is not preaching on heaven.
BS, he was kingdom focused not hell focused as you xians so love to claim.
Quote:
Jesus sometimes preached directly on heaven without even mentioning the word. For example, he talks of going to prepare many mansions for us, which talks of the dwellings Christian's will enjoy in heaven, yet he never uses the word heaven.
You are dancing around typing lots but saying nothing. If you are so sure that your claim is correct, you should have this info at your fingertips - you do not.

It is called taughtology
Quote:
However, after going through all the gospels with a red letter Bible, I can tell you that whenever Jesus is preaching on the afterlife, the vast majority of times He preached on Hell and he was repetitive about it. If you don't believe me, grab a Bible and get skimming.
Yeah because the words are in red (originally green BTW) they are supposed to carry more weight?

Prove that he preached more on hell aka gehenna a defunct rubbish dump in Jerusalem now a grassed park, and you will see he was speaking to the religious - hint - folk like you.
Quote:
Plus, Jesus spoke in other books of the Bible, namely Acts & The Revelation.
Strawman.

Your apologetic is soundly debunked by your own bible.
Quote:
The old saying is true: Jesus preached more on Hell than Heaven
No it is taughtology that says that. Careful study of the bible disproves that.

Oh BTW, if you extend the word search to the entire NT, you get more heaven hits.

Seems like hell is more real to you than your gawd - typical of most xians.

BTW - I drank your Koolaid and sang from your songsheet for 30 years so do not imply I do not know the bible. I probably know it better off by heart than you do.

It is just a book of myths.

Last edited by justme58; 07-29-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,836,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I have done this before and won't waste my time again. Most of Jesus' "teachings" on hell were directed at the religious of the day and not the sinners.
What difference does that make?

Quote:
Yeah because the words are in red (originally green BTW) they are supposed to carry more weight?
No, the red designates Jesus speaking.

Quote:
Prove that he preached more on hell aka gehenna a defunct rubbish dump in Jerusalem now a grassed park, and you will see he was speaking to the religious - hint - folk like you.
Strawman.
According to Jesus, ALL are sinners-religious leaders and everyday folks.

Quote:
Seems like hell is more real to you than your gawd - typical of most xians.
Even if He spoke of Hell only once, it's obvious from Scripture Jesus wanted us to know it's real.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,058,309 times
Quote:
What difference does that make?
Big difference. He was not talking to the outcasts aka sinners. He was talking to religious pious folk (maybe like you - I dunno)
Quote:
No, the red designates Jesus speaking.
Allegedly speaking, the gospills are hearsay not fact.
Quote:
According to Jesus, ALL are sinners-religious leaders and everyday folks.
Wrong - it was Paul that said that
Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God,
Quote:
Even if He spoke of Hell only once, it's obvious from Scripture Jesus wanted us to know it's real.
Hell is real. It is the grave, sheol, hades, realm of the dead, we all go there or an urn(sorry no rapture)

Gehenna aka valley of hinnom was a rubbish dump outside Jerusalem that always burned. Folk in the past sacrificed children to the god molech there too.

So your ET hell is not real so what were you saved from again?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,699,696 times
Quote:
That's not true. People are coming to faith in Christ daily. Some 340,000 new believers were reported by Southern Baptist churches (my chosen denomination) in 2008. That's a small percentage of worldwide new believers.
And how many left Christianity?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,965,604 times
Quote:
There are many problems with the whole hell doctrine of Christianity though. One of the biggest issues is that the Israelites had no concept of this place. The word sheol does not mean hell....never has, never will. It means, literally, the grave. That's it, nothing more. Why am I going back to the Old Testament when speaking of the New?

It is important because Jesus was a Jew and he spoke to a Jewish audience who did not have this concept. How then, could Jesus the Jew speak of hell in the Christian meaning? Certainly he spoke of Gehenna in his parables and speeches against the Pharisees. The Jews of his day would most certainly have understood that reference. But they also most certainly would not have understood it as a place of eternal damnation.

If Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism, how can the discrepancy over hell exist? Until the time of the return of the Jews from Babylonian exile, this hell was not even a concept. It was not until Persian Zoroastrian influence under Cyrus, that the idea of duality first crept into Jewish thought. Then came Hellenistic influences and finally the Romans who created Christianity as we more or less know it today.

Lastly, if hell exists and it is such an important doctrine, why is the Torah completely silent on the matter? If the choice between eternal paradise and eternal damnation is so important, then certainly this place would have a very prominent place in the Torah as well as the rest of the Tanakh....but it does not. God would have made sure to warn his chosen people about this dread place if it existed. But all we have in the Tanakh is silence concerning it. Did god suddenly make hell come being after Malachi?

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-29-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM

33,584 posts, read 37,218,474 times
Quote:
That's not true. People are coming to faith in Christ daily. Some 340,000 new believers were reported by Southern Baptist churches (my chosen denomination) in 2008. That's a small percentage of worldwide new believers.
I'm really curious about where you got that info....I find the opposite.

Southern Baptists are facing a membership decline that could shrink the nation's largest Protestant denomination by nearly half in 40 years, its convention president said at the convention's recent annual meeting in Louisville, Ky.

Southern Baptists get creative to halt membership decline | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser

Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,839,146 times
The Fire of Hell

It is true that the inside of the earth is one kind of Hell fire.

Hell in fact is of three kinds:

Before Judgment Day, it is one of two:
1- The fire of volcanoes: or the fire of the earth core.
2- The sun and its gaseous layers.
3- Then after Judgment Day: it is Saqar, which is a sun other than the present one; it is one of the big suns, it becomes near on Doomsday and Judgment Day.

The enthusiastic about Jesus, patron saints, in addition to other prophets like Moses, Mohammed and imams like Ali and any righteous man; such enthusiastic, who glorify these Jesus and the rest of righteous prophets, will not go to Paradise (or the kingdom of heavens), following their death; because they associated these men with God and glorified these men as did they glorify God Almighty.

And anyone who does not believe in God as One without associate or son, and does not believe in all the apostles including Mohammed and in all the heavenly books including the Glorious Quran, such disbelievers will lose in the next afterlife, when neither intercession nor redemption may avail them anything against God.

See here more details about Hell:
Man after Death
then from the list of Contents, click on:
Hell
The association : sharing or polytheism
The Religion Should Exclusively Be Devoted to God Alone

Last edited by eanassir; 07-30-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 AM

720 posts, read 707,749 times
Best go to the ancient translations guys. It has a whole different meaning.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,087,623 times
Check this out!

YouTube - HELLSOUND FROM SIBERIA DIGGINGS

Just sounds like a rock concert to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality