Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 PM

147 posts, read 312,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'd stay away from them, personally. I'd take the inspired word of God over the ramblings of "wise men" any day.
Have you ever actually read them? I bet they have some good advice/sayings in there.

Again KB, how could you expect anyone to be open minded about Christianity if you don't give the same consideration for others? Why do you expect someone of another faith to consider they are wrong if you won't do the same? How do you learn anything about other cultures at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Have you ever actually read them? I bet they have some good advice/sayings in there.

Again KB, how could you expect anyone to be open minded about Christianity if you don't give the same consideration for others? Why do you expect someone of another faith to consider they are wrong if you won't do the same? How do you learn anything about other cultures at all?

No...I really haven't read them. Don't need to. The Bible is inspired....and that's good enough for me.

I've studied quite a bit into other religions and cults...but honestly have not read the ones you mentioned.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
for the record, since some of you seem to be forgetting what was actually said, jockey said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Take the blinders off and truly experience life. Don't narrowly follow just one worldview, experience many and take what you can from each. Don't take the people who say 'my way is the ONLY way' seriously.
this wasn't necessarily an insult, and if you took it as one you might be a little overly sensitive. there is a lot of truth to jockey's advice, even if you happen to belong devoutly to one or another organized religion.

there is much that you can learn from other religions, even if you don't believe them to be the truth–because they will still have truths within them. as an example, when i lived in south america, i had the opportunity to associate with the sikh religion from india. i don't believe in their creation stories and stuff, but the morals and societal codes that they shared with us were very inspired. they were some of the most hospoitable people that i have met and i was grateful for the chance that i had to be influenced by them.

in the end, i still believe in Christ, not the sacred texts of the sikhs. but that doesn't mean that i have to deny that there is any truth to their ethics.

kd responded much as he usually does (meaning that his post is the poster child for straw men arguments and ridiculous generalizations):

Quote:
Don't listen to people like this one that tell you that there is no such thing as truth. That's post-modernism and is really kind of a bankrupt system of belief.
keeping an open mind doesn't mean that you proclaim an absence of universal truth. it just means that you are open to the idea that you haven't learned or experienced everything in life yet.

chamataka responded with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Considering an atheist, I find this worldview bias weird and bizarre

I thought you folks dismissed all religious worldviews
and your later posts make me think that you are under the impression that atheists have to be some sort of militant group that is as blind and narrow-minded as many of the fundamentalists are.

feel free to correct me if i am reading your posts wrong, but your semantics are kinda strange to begin with.

Quote:
Please don't turn this thread into a debate, the OP was simply asking a question and we're all entitled to our beliefs. Quit trolling.
jockey was perfectly reasonable in his request here after kdb's post, asking that one of the *few* (as troop pointed out near the beginning) meaningful threads on this ever-ridiculous forum be allowed to remain polite and collaborative.

there are a million and one other threads on this very forum that have devolved (or started out as) opportunities to bash theists or atheists; how about we let this one remain free from actual religious argument and focus on the philosophy of personal growth?

Quote:
Nope. There is good in many relgions, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to believe in deities to understand the metaphors. I read the Vedas and found some amazing information regarding peace and understanding. Doesn't necessarily mean I worship Vishnu
again, jockey reiterates his thoughts, only to have his words twisted by those that would rather argue than cooperate.

that was a short recap for those that had forgotten what passed.

my advice?

work hard; travel; take risks; be honest; let me repeat that: be honest–we don't have enough integral people in the world; cultivate some hobbies; turn the tv off; turn the video games off; take up a sport; learn a foreign language; study philosophy; study other cultures; study other religions and worldviews; serve others; i'm gonna repeat that one too: serve others–it is very hard to hate someone that you willingly and happily serve.

those are a few off the top of my head.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
chamataka responded with:

and your later posts make me think that you are under the impression that atheists have to be some sort of militant group that is as blind and narrow-minded as many of the fundamentalists are.

feel free to correct me if i am reading your posts wrong, but your semantics are kinda strange to begin with.
Nothing strange, but I am looking at two sides, one side that thumps the Bible with ferocity, and another side which rejects it with ferocity.

You see the ferocity is the common factor on either side.

Fundamentalism is all about the depth of a belief system

Also, couldn't resist this, just when the leading lady is ambushed by the villains, the hero arrives. She's supposedly six feet tall, works with jets and might be good looking too

Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron213 View Post
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

please answer with your own opinion,,, thanks...
Coming to know the person that created you Jesus.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
first of all, my apologies for transgenderizing jetjockey. i actually think that i had already learned that jet is a she, but my memory is somewhere in the bovine 4-6-second realm.

Quote:
Nothing strange, but I am looking at two sides, one side that thumps the Bible with ferocity, and another side which rejects it with ferocity.
but in your quest to look at the extremes, you have forgotten the mean. for some reason it seems incongruous to you that there are moderate, contemplative people in all shades and shapes of the middle, who still like to learn about and associate with others.

Quote:

Fundamentalism is all about the depth of a belief system
that is true, but it doesn't by definition apply to the moderates. moderate does not mean undecided, wishy-washy, luke warm or any other condescending terms either.

some of the most faithful people that i have known in my life were also the ones that were striving harder and harder to understand individuals and groups of all denominations, recognizing that there is much to learn from everyone everywhere.

wishy-washy is an altogether different issue, where the person is not moderate by choice, but by fear or ignorance, where they refuse to or are incapable of taking a stance on issues.

Quote:
Also, couldn't resist this, just when the leading lady is ambushed by the villains, the hero arrives. She's supposedly six feet tall, works with jets and might be good looking too
well, what does that mean then since i was thinking jockey was a guy? my wife will be making all sorts of jokes now...

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

Read the classic works of economics, psychology, philosophy, literature and the basic stuff about the great religions of the world. You'll see that the best of all these disciplines pretty much prescribes the same kinds of attitudes and behaviors.

For starters, I'll give you some things to read from the psychology literature: Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment

Amazon.com: Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment (9780071492393): Tal Ben-Shahar: Books

And also: The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want

Amazon.com: The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want (9780143114956): Sonja Lyubomirsky: Books

Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:

I highly recommend higher education. Get at least an undergraduate degree--then really expand your cerebrum by going for your graduate degree, whether Master's or all the way to Ph.D. Education opens your eyes and your mind.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
I'd stay away from them, personally. I'd take the inspired word of God over the ramblings of "wise men" any day.
OK, I gotta ask, just who inspired god?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
I am looking at two sides, one side that thumps the Bible with ferocity, and another side which rejects it with ferocity.

Yeah, I think the Buddhists call this kind of all-or-nothing thinking "duality", which is something we are supposed to rise above.

However, I do not think JetJockey was rejecting the Bible with ferocity at all. He doesn't appear to believe in God, but he seems to get that he can still learn things from reading the Bible. That's rising above duality in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality