Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I think the Buddhists call this kind of all-or-nothing thinking "duality", which is something we are supposed to rise above.

However, I do not think JetJockey was rejecting the Bible with ferocity at all. He doesn't appear to believe in God, but he seems to get that he can still learn things from reading the Bible. That's rising above duality in my book
Thank you. I definitely do not believe in god, and though I haven't really learned much from the bible persay (most of the stories are repeats from other cultures), I know that there are good allegorical passages. I immediately don't want to trust someone when they say the have the 'truth' and 'the only way'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,889,158 times
Let your watch be your guide.
W - watch your words
A - Watch your actions
T - Watch your thoughts
C - Watch your character
H - Watch your heart.

Start the day with Love, Fill the day with Love, End the day with Love.

Let your work be worship with every action.

Be kind to others and provide service.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,904 times
Look at all that is evil in this world and do the opposite, then pray to the one that gives life eternally.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'd stay away from them, personally. I'd take the inspired word of God over the ramblings of "wise men" any day.

So, with this, you're either saying A) the Bible wasn't written by wise men, or B) you're taking the ramblings of your *particular* wise men as more authoritative than those of another.

*Sighs*

Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,211,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicron213 View Post
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

please answer with your own opinion,,, thanks...
Spend time with people who are less fortunate. People who have nothing and are happy. Also, spend time with old people, dying people. You really learn to appreciate life when you do these things.

Reading about and experiencing other cultures is very big on my list also.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,898,127 times
Quote:
as the title says " what should a young person do in order to deepen himself as a human being?"

Put aside religious dogma, throw out the television, and step out into the world.

Take pleasure in the beauty of nature itself -- the rumble of a thunderstorm, the soft sound of rainfall, the wind in the trees.

Stand in a snowfall, and listen to the amazing hush of a world waiting to awaken to a new light. Stand near a river and listen to it flow, and try to comprehend the vast distances that the river's water will travel.

Stand by an ocean, listen to the waves crash on the shore, smell the salt air and feel the wind on your face.

Stand in the night, and watch the stars, and imagine how small we truly are, standing on this tiny blue marble in the middle of the inky galactic darkness.

We are more than just a collection of religions, more than words on the pages of some holy book can show us.

Try telling the rocks of your religion, or the waves, or the wind -- they won't care, they've been here before us and they'll continue after us.

That's what a young person should do to deepen himself as a human being:

Exist.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,909 times
You should drink a lot when you're young, so when you're older you'll have some good stories.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 AM

25,157 posts, read 54,037,327 times
I would not look to the bible because the scripture says to deny yourself. You shouldn't have a self esteem. You are only on the earth to serve God.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,343,243 times
Quote:

Laugh
...at yourself, at the world, and at life in general.
Have fun
Travel
...live somewhere else in the world (if you can); if not read English newspapers of other countries to see how other cultures look at the world.
Read
Take advantage of everything you're offered.
Camp and spend time in the outdoors.
Learn to be comfortable with being alone.
Question Everything
Be gentle with yourself
Accept others
Get over a broken heart and move on
Be kind
Listen to music, lots of it, all kinds

Look at the bright side of life
YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-09-2009 at 02:19 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,017,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'd stay away from them, personally. I'd take the inspired word of God over the ramblings of "wise men" any day.
KD, before you condemn any writings try using the novel idea of educating yourself on what your condemning. I'm not saying that you have to believe them, however, you may, just maybe, come away with a different opinion. There are words of wisdom in all these writings, but you'll never find them unless you look. If the Bible is the only source of your information then so be it, but at lest have the common sense to reply that you've never read them and can't comment on their content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality