Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Faith is the assurance of things unseen.
Rather, faith is the absence of logic and reason. Logic and reason leads both you and I to conclude that it is extremely unlikely that leprechauns, mermaids and fairies exist. That same logic and reason leads me to conclude that it is extremely unlikely that gods exist. There are thousands of examples of primitive, superstitious, imaginary deities which Christians use simple logic and critical thinking to dismiss, yet they don’t seem able to use that very same logic and critical thinking with which they dismiss other superstitious nonsense....to dismiss their own superstitious beliefs. When it comes to your god, you discard that very same logic and reason that you have used to discard other supernatural entities, in favour of what you want to believe. 'Truth' is not among your criteria. Your criteria is to accept only what you have decided is true, despite having no support for those beliefs.

Your agenda is to pursue anything which might offer some hope of support for beliefs you've already adopted in the absence of support. You are unwilling to accept anything which demonstrates to the contrary of what you believe. You have adopted your idea of truth first and are now seeking support for that choice. The only "truth" you would be willing to accept is that which you already choose to believe. That which shows your beliefs to be wrong you refuse to accept, even when it is true. You brush aside the verifiable evidence in favour of 'faith'. In reality, faith is nothing more than refusing to recognize logic and evidence when it tells you something you'd rather not believe. Faith is simply the practice of ignoring the supportable in favour of a desired belief.

If you will only accept what you already believe to be truth, then you have closed the door to truth for yourself. Reality does not owe anyone anything. It will not change simply because you refuse to accept it. If you're really interested in truth, then you must accept it even if it is not what you wanted it to be. It won't change no matter how long or feverishly you refuse to accept it.

You can't accept truth only on your terms and expect to find truth. It just doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Rather, faith is the absence of logic and reason.
Faith
–noun

belief that is not based on proof

Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
Quote:
Faith
–noun

belief that is not based on proof

I think that's a good definition of faith, but it may not go far enough.

For many Christians, faith is believing a proposition despite the evidence that shows its unlikely to be true.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think that's a good definition of faith, but it may not go far enough.

For many Christians, faith is believing a proposition despite the evidence that shows its unlikely to be true.
When the Spirit of God lives in you, the evidence is overwhelming!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times
A Hindu would say the same about Krishna.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,455 times
Quote:
True believers have no reason to be afraid of death. "To be absent from the body is to be present withthe Lord."
Yet they prey constantly for "salvation".

Seems to me that Christians are indeed quite concerned.

I would imagine Christians like Ted Haggert are EXTREMELY concerned.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,455 times
Quote:
Circular argument fallacy.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM

33,570 posts, read 37,191,473 times
I'm sure that the Christians here on this forum realize that Atheism is growing in leaps and bounds...It is very obvious.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times
Quote:
and smoking lsd can make you see a pink bunny with a basket, doesn't make it real.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
and smoking lsd can make you see a pink bunny with a basket, doesn't make it real.
I wouldn't know about that. I'm high on Jesus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality