Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,772,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I would like to point out, that a new discovery has put in question Australopithecus an all others before it, because this new discovery shows a human like skull discovered in the central African country of Chad. And this skull is said to be far older then all those supposed missing links displayed. Henry Gee, the senior editor of Nature, and a leading paleoanthropologist said of this skull. "What ever the outcome, the skull shows, once and for all, that the old idea of a 'missing link' (IS BUNK).
For the love of all things scholarly, Sahelanthropus tchadensis is not a new find. It was found in 2002 in Chad. As I've stated before, its place in human evolution is not yet clear--a questionably placed foramen magnum sheds doubt as to whether or not this hominid was even bipedal.

Get off it already! I just have to wonder if you're intentionally obtuse or merely really thick.

There is NO SUCH THING AS A MISSING LINK!

Do ya get it now? There is no such thing as linear evolution!

Do you understand that you are attempting to debunk a line of thought which has not even been a part of scholarship for the last 50 years?

Unflippin' believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,736,530 times
Quote:
Of course evolution is alive and well. My point is. That finally a believer in evolution is pointing out, that all the evidence from the fossil record used to prove evolution was nonsense.
You claim he says this, but what he actually wrote are things like this :

"Darwinian evolution by natural selection is a theory in the formal sense that it is a hypothesis that has been tested, repeatedly, and found to be consistent with all the evidence that we can throw at it. Much of this evidence, from the fossil record and from genetics, did not exist in Darwin’s time, and it is a testament to Darwin’s prescience and the elegance of his theory of evolution by natural selection that it has proved so robust, so all-encompassing, so right."

Read the rest of it at Seasonal Notes for the Hard-Of-Thinking - I, Editor - Henry Gee's blog on Nature Network.

I know I keep posting the same quotes, but since C34 doesn't address them there's no point in doing any new work to prove him wrong.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,712,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
For the love of all things scholarly, Sahelanthropus tchadensis is not a new find. It was found in 2002 in Chad. As I've stated before, its place in human evolution is not yet clear--a questionably placed foramen magnum sheds doubt as to whether or not this hominid was even bipedal.

Get off it already! I just have to wonder if you're intentionally obtuse or merely really thick.

There is NO SUCH THING AS A MISSING LINK!

Do ya get it now? There is no such thing as linear evolution!

Do you understand that you are attempting to debunk a line of thought which has not even been a part of scholarship for the last 50 years?

Unflippin' believable.

Kele it is ok,, deep breath in then out breath in then out. Feel better? I know it is like banging your head on a brick wall, best to just ignore, some people cannot see the forest through the trees.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
well thanks for the evolution lesson. the explanation is very clear. indeed. For me to believe more that evolution is impossible. Especially your example - lucy. FYI, it has been validated that lucy is a faker. wow whatta shocker. and so is every other hundred fossil found what else is new? Bottom line, so far evolution evidences and explanations and studies are laughable to me. Which I am sure you will understand as you find my belief in God laughable too, right? it is what it is. so what now?
It is clear that explanations are a waste of time with you. You prefer to reject the evidence in favour of some very doubtful asserions.

'Lucy is a faker'. Not true. There are still discussions about it, but to use it as a one shot disproof of this kind: 'So is..Every other fossil'
Is way over the top,

"so far evolution evidences and explanations and studies are laughable to me. Which I am sure you will understand as you find my belief in God laughable too, right?"

Yes, we all understand that but...

" it is what it is." Indeed. Evidence for evolution which you ignore in favour of some reasonable questions about the evidence which you then use as excuses to ignore all the corpus of evidence.

Against no good evidence. Nothing for God. Nothing that stands up to any real scrutiny.

"so what now?"

That's up to you. We can lead a horse (or possibly donkey) to water. Whether you drink is up to you.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Oh that's good. I'm accused of saying Gee said evolution is a Fairy Tale. And then when I ask what post I said that on. Now you say. I should look it up myself. Could it be you said that, only because you know my supposed statement does not exist?

And I see you always attack me, yet not once have you even tried to explain any of Gee's statements, could that be, because you yourself would be unable to explain away the obvious?

And Creationist were not the first one's to suggest that man came from monkeys. It use to be, that museum displays often showed man's early evolution was on the order of ape like. And supposed early man was often pictured this way in numerous text books as well.
I'm fed up with you trying to scrape a draw with dishonesty. I could look up the exact pages. You are seriously suggesting I invented your quotes when anyone browsing pages 45-55 can find them? Well I'll look them up just to show what a disgrace to Creationism you are -and that's saying something.

Not even tried to explain Gee's statement? Even true believers in YE creationism must be cringing with embarrassment. We have laboured on a dozen pages explaining Gee and all the other quotes that we could find. You even show that by saying that our explanations are just our opinion.

And you again change your tack trying to claw back some cheap points. It is a shame because you have actually made some good points if only you didn't try to turn them into a complete disproof of all the mass of evidence for evolution.

You first said that the 'present' theory of monkeys to men had been discredited. True. We showed that the theory had moved on, not been scrapped. You then claimed that creationists had shown that the monkeys to men theory would not do and I rightly pointed out that it's Creationists like you who cling to this theory because it's an easy strawman to knock down.

And now you try to fudge a link between the early monkeys to men theory -which was reasonable in view of the limited evidence they had - and try to argue that it's still essentially the same theory since it's still ape men.

Of course! The theory of evolution has not been scrapped. The monkeys to men theory has not been scrapped either, though you'd like to argue that it is. It's become more complex with more side - branches, dead-ends of primate evolution and new ideas on speciation. The basic evidence still supports the conclusion that primates have evolved and we are, on all evidence, one of the outcomes and present monkeys, chimps and lemurs are others.

You attempt to discredit that by arguing that it's somehow still the same as the fairy tale that was the best theory for which there was evidence in Darwin's time. That really shows up the tricky and dishonest arguments of Creationists.

And it's really a shame (goes into stroking mode ) becuae you have smarts and even some good points. It would just be better if you looked at both sides. I'd find it easier to do that if I wasn't constantly being called on to prove evolution up to the hilt or abandon it altogether.

Well, here's some of your quotes, chapter and verse.

To take a line of fossils and claim that they represent a lineage is not a scientific hypothesis that can be tested, but an assertion that carries the (SAME VALIDITY AS A BEDTIME STORY)--
Camp 45.6

because that knowledge was lost. And if anyone did put them together, that would amount to nothing more than (STORYTELLING,) which is not scientific.
3. Legions of Ape-men? You just missed Gee's entire arguement. You can't string anything together from the fossil record and try to prove evidence for evolution. That's nothing but (STORY TELLING).
Camp 47.3

Gee is telling you much more than monkey to man is a fairy tale. Gee states, that for anyone to claim a line of fossils represent a linage is not a scientific hypothesis that can be tested. He tells us, that such assertion carries the same validity as a (BEDTIME STORY)-
Camp 49.3

To take a line of fossils and claim that they represent a linage is not a scientific hypothesis that can be tested, but as assertion that carries the same validity as a (BEDTIME STORY)-amusing, perhaps even instructive, but not scientific
Camp 54.6
The family tree was based on the fossil record. And it is that record that is collapsing. Gee clearly points out that trying to put such fossils in order, amounts to nothing more, THAN STORY TELLING
Yet Gee is telling you. Your belief that the fossil record supports evolution. Is a Fairy Tale, based on stories you have invented, and molded by your own prejudices (underlining mine)
camp 58.10

finally, you seem to have avoided coming clean on this, which I asked on p. 49

Quote:
:
Gee states. That once we realize that Deep Time can never support narratives of evolution, we are forced to accept that virtually everything we thought we knew about evolution (IS WRONG).
Let me ask you to be honest. "(IS WRONG)." Is that what Gee wrote or is that a interpretation by you or by some Creationist?

Quote:
"Since scientists can never prove a particular scenario of human evolution," Leakey said "all these trees of life with their branches of our ancestors, (THAT'S A LOT OF NONSENSE.)" 12/9/1996
Is "(THAT'S A LOT OF NONSENSE.)" what Mary Leaky wrote or is it your addition or that of some creationist sticking their own view onto a scientific quote that at least can be made to look as though it supports it?
Recent post (KC's no. 2 above) seems to have caught you out putting your own take into an evolutionist's mouth for all the world like a Gospel - writer putting his own views into Jesus' mouth

You said "If you want to say that all fossils are transitionals, do so. Yet please do not suggest this is based on evidence found in the fossil record. Because it is obvious, the fossil record will not support such a conclusion."

I think this is where you go wrong and it shown that you are equivocating. You call 'transitionals' 'missing links'. Gee and others say there are no missing links since the fossils won't be there. True. The missing link 'bedtime story' envisages that from blob to bod has a neat sequence of 'missing links' of which more and more are being slotted into the sequence. That is the bedtime story. It is far more complex than that with a lot of evolutionary lines, many of which have so much missing that it is impossible to prove that one line led to another. That's what Gee and the others say and what we repeatedly explained.

You might have made a fair comment that this might call into question the whole theory of evolution. But you have instead opted for the trick of insisting that, since the 'missing link' is a myth, and transitional are 'missing links', transitionals therefore do not exist. You are playing a semantic trick here. Transitionals exist in profusion, though Creationists explain that evidence away as coincidental resemblances such as the foolish argument (probably not one of yours) that Ambulocetus could not have been a land animal because as a whale ancestor it had to be in the sea, right?

It is also worth restating that evidence for evolution is pretty much conclusive through biological and DNA research, even if not one fossil existed, though it would be a real embarassment if there were none. But fossils do exist, in profusion, and nothing found in the fossil record does other than support evolution, though it is not what is used as proof and the popular public idea and the Creationist insistence that it is the fossils that must be the 'proof' of evolution is, indeed, (NONSENSE) as you might put it.

But you should really get you head around the idea of what the evidence for evolution is, rather than what you would like it to be in order to reject it. And you should also realize that, even if you reject it, that does nothing whatsoever to prove Genesis, though I concede you might have removed the disproof of the literal reading of the Bible creation myth.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-09-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Oh, my typing...

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM

354 posts, read 751,020 times
Here is my thing with evolution, if it is true. What is wrong with being hairy? I mean what is so freaking wrong with their ORIGINAL formation, like lucy. Or the ones before it? So the DNAs decide I dont like the hairs. I have to shed it so I can see my face so it does its thing? I mean.. gosh. Man in its formation as we know it has been like that for what 6,000 or more years. And DNA liked it so much it decided not to evolve ANYMORE? Not only Human DNA but ALL animals as well as we know them. WOW they just altogether stopped evolving. That's just really ... UNBELIEVABLE.

And the evolution of TV from black and white to colored to LCDs and now HDTV is NOT a natural occurrence FYI. THEY WERE MADE AND DESIGNED BY MEN. And no one is denying black and white TVs with no remote control's existence. Especially me coz I HAVE SEEN IT.

Last edited by baket; 09-09-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,712,121 times
Quote:
Here is my thing with evolution, if it is true. What is wrong with being hairy? I mean what is so freaking wrong with their ORIGINAL formation, like lucy. Or the ones before her? So the DNAs decide I dont like the hairs. I have to shed it so I can see my face so it does its thing? I mean.. gosh. Man in its formation as we know it has been like that for what 6,000 or more years. And DNA liked it so much it decided not to evolve ANYMORE? Not only Human DNA but ALL animals as well as we know them. WOW they just altogether stopped evolving. That's just really ...

And the evolution of TV from black and white to colored to LCDs and now HDTV is NOT a natural occurrence FYI. THEY WERE MADE AND DESIGNED BY MEN. And no one is denying black and white TVs with no remote control's existence. Especially me coz I HAVE SEEN IT.
It hasn't stopped

Human Genome Shows Proof of Recent Evolution, Survey Finds

And your problem with evolution is our lack of hair? Clearly you have never seen my fathers back! And we have hair all over, tiny tiny hair everywhere, except our palms and bottom of feet, it just is not as pronounced.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,947,754 times
Quote:
Here is my thing with evolution, if it is true. What is wrong with being hairy?
In an arid, hot environment, humans with less hair survived better. That's why many humans from hot areas have less hair than humans from cold areas.

In addition, I shave *every freaking day* because DNA puts hair on my face *every day*.

Quote:
I mean what is so freaking wrong with their ORIGINAL formation, like lucy. Or the ones before her? So the DNAs decide I dont like the hairs.
DNA doesn't decide. Natural Selection does. Natural selection simply means that, in a hot environment, humans with more hair are more likely to die and thus less likely to reproduce. Meaning that, over time, there are fewer children with hairy bodies in arid environments.

Quote:
I have to shed it so I can see my face so it does its thing? I mean.. gosh. Man in its formation as we know it has been like that for what 6,000 or more years. And DNA liked it so much it decided not to evolve ANYMORE? That's just really ...
Much longer than 6000 years. And DNA is *still* evolving. It has not stopped. Did you know there are people being born who never develop wisdom teeth? People on average are six inches taller than they were just five hundred years ago. Some cultures are developing longer thumbs, and a brain wired to coordinate fingers differently because of the use of texting on cell phones.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,960,708 times
baket blurted: "And DNA liked it so much it decided not to evolve ANYMORE? That's just really ..."

Stupid.

When you're really, actually and honestly interested in learning how it works, call me. At this point, it's like watching a 6-yr old kid in the main control room @ The Kennedy Space Center, wandering amongst the monitors and switches, proclaiming it's too complicated to actually work!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM

33,641 posts, read 37,309,179 times
Explosive population growth is driving human evolution to speed up around the world, according to a new study.The pace of change accelerated about 40,000 years ago and then picked up even more with the advent of agriculture about 10,000 years ago, the study says. "We're evolving away from each other. We're getting more and more different," said Henry Harpending, an anthropologist at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City who co-authored the study.

For example, in Europe natural selection has favored genes for pigmentation like light skin, blue eyes, and blond hair. Asians also have genes selected for light skin, but they are different from the European ones.

Human Evolution Speeding Up, Study Says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality