Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I watch any sports on tv and I can see sports celebrities getting mad and dropping the "F" bomb, saying the Lord's name in vain, whatever. I don't hear the words, but sure can tell what they are saying! Today, we actually hear swearing, like "Go to He**" in regular tv shows! People who serve the public, like the Manager (man) of our storage---one of the Managers (lady) of our apt. complex, at times say words that simply are not appropriate. They know that talking this way to the public is wrong, but seem to "not care at all".
My wife simply tells me not to talk with these people. She tells me to only talk "business" with these people, that's it. And, a lot of swearing is done today in the workplace. Heck, I've even noticed a certain amount of swearing in some of these Forums......especially the Relationship one!
So, what is going on out there with all of this totally inappropriate language??
Being offended by a word is the most illogical thing I have ever run into in my short life. There is no logical reason to find a word "taboo".

Yes if I see someone keep saying f this, f that (can't type it here, it get censored) or keep repeating "you know", "bro" or some other word/s or sounds. I think to myself, "this person is so stupid that he/she needs to put extra words or sounds in his/her sentence to give him/her time to think of what he/she is going to say next".

But thinking we shouldn't use a word because some people deemed it bad is absurd and childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
They're just words. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. That's the way it works with all the other "nicer" words as well.

I can see people not liking it if you're at, say, a sporting event and you're stuck behind someone who's every other word is an f bomb. If I was offended by swear words, I wouldn't want to be stuck behind that for a few hours either.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Is swearing/cussing bad........YES, because it can (I did say "can") show what type of personality/upbringing a person has/had! Kids can grow up around parents who swear and get around students at school who swear.
My mom never swore, but my dad did. Heck my dad even went to church every Sunday with mom and me and, once home, some of that swearing would start up. Not the "f" word or anything like it. It really upset my mom at times. I stayed away from the kids in high school that swore, but then again, the kids that swore were also the same kids that used the lunch hour to go across the street to a Market and smoke a cigarette. The farmer friends that I knew didn't do any of that. Of course this was back in the late 60's.
Now that some of the "there's nothing wrong with it" people have chimed in on this Thread, I'll ask this:
Ladies- Would you date/be in a relationship with a guy that used the "f" word (or any words like it......you know which ones I mean), or said the Lord's name in vain?
Men- Would you do the same?
Yes, swearing (the kind I'm talking about) has become VERY common today, but why??? Like another poster said, and I firmly agree with, many people today just don't care what they say/how they talk to others.
It really is "to bad how some people act today!"

Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Is swearing/cussing bad........YES, because it can (I did say "can") show what type of personality/upbringing a person has/had! Kids can grow up around parents who swear and get around students at school who swear.
My mom never swore, but my dad did. Heck my dad even went to church every Sunday with mom and me and, once home, some of that swearing would start up. Not the "f" word or anything like it. It really upset my mom at times. I stayed away from the kids in high school that swore, but then again, the kids that swore were also the same kids that used the lunch hour to go across the street to a Market and smoke a cigarette. The farmer friends that I knew didn't do any of that. Of course this was back in the late 60's.
Now that some of the "there's nothing wrong with it" people have chimed in on this Thread, I'll ask this:
Ladies- Would you date/be in a relationship with a guy that used the "f" word (or any words like it......you know which ones I mean), or said the Lord's name in vain?
Yes, swearing (the kind I'm talking about) has become VERY common today, but why??? Like another poster said, and I firmly agree with, many people today just don't care what they say/how they talk to others.
God dam it! Opps. People work on Sunday, you going to tell them that it is bad too?
I'm far more concerned with peoples actions, then they way they talk. Padding your sentence to give you time to think, just shows their stupidity. Why would you be offended by that?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
I guess the Moderators don't care about the language either used in these Forums! But, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about (and some others on this Thread)......some people today just don't care what they say or how they say it!! Does this define a person's personality.......ahhhhhh yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
God dam it! Opps. People work on Sunday, you going to tell them that it is bad too?
I'm far more concerned with peoples actions, then they way they talk. Padding your sentence to give you time to think, just shows their stupidity. Why would you be offended by that?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I guess the Moderators don't care about the language either used in these Forums! But, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about (and some others on this Thread)......some people today just don't care what they say or how they say it!! Does this define a person's personality.......ahhhhhh yes!!!
Is that a "Yes gplex, people who work on sunday are bad"?
Don't talk about the moderators or they will delete you post dam it.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
So, what is going on out there with all of this totally inappropriate language??
Appropriate or inappropriate are subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Yes, I would. And who the hell cares anyway?

You're so concerned about "taking the Lord's name in vain", maybe you should worry about things that actually matter, like not telling other people what to think and how to speak. Oh, and by the way, you can't "take the Lord's name in vain" any more than you can take Santa's name in vain.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
HA, I grew up around 'farmer friends' and they cursed more than anyone I know! Get a cowboy on a horse and let that horse do something wrong and just WATCH the curse words fly!

I am currently in a relationship with a man who does use curse words (pretty nasty ones to...we always try to outdo each other) AND uses the 'lords' name in vain...of course, we're both Atheists so it's really just another phrase to us. I rarely curse in public, but things totally change when I'm around my family... some of the things we say would probably make the Osbournes blush

Really though... everyone is offended by something. I occasionally get offended when people assume I'm a christian and ask me to pray with/for them. I also get a little peeved when a religious person tells me 'well, god still loves you' after they find out I'm a non-believer. What about that lovely 30 ft tall white wooden cross I get to stare at out of my kitchen window because some church decided to put it on a hill and block my view?

How about I stop cursing when all the religious people get together and agree not to harass me?

Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Or not. You would never guess just how big of a potty mouth I can have if you met me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality