Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
No, God does that! Those "Pearly Gates" to Heaven won't look so "Pearly" when you're not allowed in!
And, it's not called "intrude" and "control", it's called "Being Saved"!
No, it's called control. No one requires "saving" and entrance into the heaven of one of the youngest religions on the planet.

Not a single person required "saving" before your religion rose to power 2,000 years ago, let alone prior to your god, Jehovah, being born some 3,000 years ago, nor does two thirds of the world's population who don't look to your religion.

We Gaels have our own "heaven" thank you, your "saving" (ie control) from your "bible" (ie Theopilitical Manifesto) is absolutekly unneeded and totally unwelcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Because our educational system hasn't provided them with a vocabulary adequate to their needs.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Because our educational system hasn't provided them with a vocabulary adequate to their needs.
I have a very good vocabulary, thank you very much.

I can also cuss in 5 different languages, 3 fluently

Sometimes, to express your emotions fully, a colorful sentence enhancer can be used quite liberally.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
What I never understood is, what is the point of censoring words or voices on tv such as beeping them out or ****, etc. I mean, if you type s*** you know what it is by context anyway. Same with beeping the word on tv. Seems pointless.
That reminds me of this video

YouTube - THE BEST OF unnecessary censorship

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Ok, got to answer this:
Certain words, like the "f" word just aren't necessary to use! Using that word, and words like it, are what a lot of folks get offended hearing. Cuss at an Officer and see where you go! Cuss at a teacher and get thrown out of the class/school! Cuss at your parents and see what they say! Cuss at your spouse and see how fast the marriage might end! Cuss at your kids in public and you may end up in jail! Cuss at a Judge and Held In Contemp and see the handcuffs come out! Gee, shall I go on!!
Let's see... I have cussed at numerous officers, I have a few cops in my family and if you've ever seen an episode of cops (my aunt was in one!) you would see that the cops AND the suspects cuss at each other fairly frequently. I would not cuss at a teacher because it's not appropriate, not because it might offend someone. I cuss at my spouse all the time, and he fires it right back at me, no problem. I don't have kids, but my mom cussed at us all the time, and I graduated from a very nice university, my sister is currently in Germany studying on a scholarship and my brother has already received scholarship offers from 4 different colleges, and he's only a junior.

I've also seen people cuss at Judges and they just roll their eyes and tell the person to shut up.

You're certainly bothered by weird things.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
I'm not going to continue commenting on all of these absolutely ridiculous statements like, "let us cuss if we want to" and all the GARBAGE you folks are coming up with about why cussing is ok. I think I will just end this Thread for me by saying......
WHATEVER!!!
The above is perfectly illustrative of CONTROL, not "saving".

Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
That reminds me of this video

YouTube - THE BEST OF unnecessary censorship

Haha...that was pretty funny. I'm surprised that was able to be aired...some of that is pretty bad.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
they are angry and they dont speak english that well. the american dream is steaming away from the dock and they are not on it.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
The OP'er is obviously avoiding the question of 'offensive' words in his Bible.

Philippians 3:8 in the original Greek:

ἀλλὰ μενοῦνγε καὶ ἡγοῦμαι πάντα ζημίαν εἶναι διὰ τὸ ὑπερέχον τῆς γνώσεως Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ κυρίου μου, διὃν τὰ πάντα ἐζημιώθην, καὶ ἡγοῦμαι σκύβαλα, ἵνα Χριστὸν κερδήσω...

The word that the OP would no doubt find offensive here is "σκύβαλα"

Here's a literal translation of the verse.

But indeed I also consider everything to be loss on account of the surpassing knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I forfeited all things; and I consider them s**t so that I may gain Christ...

Modern Bibles have cleaned up the verse so that it says "refuse," "garbage," "human excrement," "dung" or "crud".

2 Kings 18 in the original Hebrew gives us the word "Sheten". This will translate into English as "p*ss".

Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,864 times
Quote:
No, God does that! Those "Pearly Gates" to Heaven won't look so "Pearly" when you're not allowed in!
And, it's not called "intrude" and "control", it's called "Being Saved"!
Quote:
I'm not going to continue commenting on all of these absolutely ridiculous statements like, "let us cuss if we want to" and all the GARBAGE you folks are coming up with about why cussing is ok. I think I will just end this Thread for me by saying......
WHATEVER!!!
This is just insulting. No matter what word you use to describe it, trying to regulate what people say is still controlling.

Loveboating answer me honestly:

Would you make a law against cussing and taking the name of your deity in vain if you could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality