Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM

72 posts, read 110,763 times

Advertisements

A lot of misconceptions here.

Everybody is born as atheist. The environment controls which of the ~ 200 gods active today you get to "choose". When you grow up you grow out of the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. This is where most get stuck. I didn't and progressed to grow out of any kind of god. They are all myths without a shred of evidence, let alone proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
And we can also conduct an experiment that humbly asks if people believe in alien visitations. But hey, guess what?

The results? 80% of Americans believe the government is hiding information about aliens. 50% believe in alien abductions.

By your logic - through peer review (!) - aliens exist and we are being visited and even abducted.
Perhaps, but I still believe in God and apparently you still do not.

Some writers are taking that "experiment" suggestion too seriously. I doubt that such a process would work because of the "sincere" element that is necessary in my observation to get an answer back from God when you talk with Him.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,127,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Well, perhaps in the "ancient history" books you prefer to read He's not mentioned. But He is in mine, right from Adam and Eve. Can't get much further back until this planet didn't even exist yet...

Whoa there fella...

You do realize that ancient recorded history goes at least twice as far back as Judeo-Christian traditions, don't you? And you do realize that the Earth is about 1 million times older than recorded history?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but I still believe in God and apparently you still do not.
Wow. I'm astounded you can make a judgment about another person's values and beliefs based upon one forum comment. If I can make a similar value judgment, I'd say your statement is arrogant and presumptuous.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps in the "ancient history" books you prefer to read He's not mentioned. But He is in mine, right from Adam and Eve. Can't get much further back until this planet didn't even exist yet...

Actually I fear the process of dying a bit because it might come with discomfort or pain, but I have absolutely no fear of death because I know what waits beyond that experience.
You do know do you not, that the Adam and Eve story is a myth? It is not possible for one pair of any mammal to populate or repopulate....Besides the fact that your myth says they were poofed into existence fully grown and magically knew how to communicate with one another. So even though you know it's a myth you still prefer to believe, is that what you are saying?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
...I doubt that such a process would work because of the "sincere" element that is necessary in my observation to get an answer back from God when you talk with Him.
Ah, sincerity.

That's an astonishingly subjective factor in what you'd love to believe is some sort of "objective" experiment.

You are out of your league here. You haven't the foggiest idea of what constitutes an experiment, let alone a scientific methodology.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Whoa there fella...

You do realize that ancient recorded history goes at least twice as far back as Judeo-Christian traditions, don't you? And you do realize that the Earth is about 1 million times older than recorded history?
The scriptures that I am familiar with include the Adam and Eve story and even the future involvement of Adam in an event yet to happen.

I didn't intend to place a time limit on how old the earth was, just an observation that as far as human life on this planet is concerned you really can't go back further than Adam and Eve, the first parents of physical bodies.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You do know do you not, that the Adam and Eve story is a myth? It is not possible for one pair of any mammal to populate or repopulate....Besides the fact that your myth says they were poofed into existence fully grown and magically knew how to communicate with one another. So even though you know it's a myth you still prefer to believe, is that what you are saying?
There you go again, you declare that anything Christians believe is based on a "myth". You can't prove that but you expect us to magically use the tools of science to prove that God exists.

For your information, that "myth" that is actually true took place when this planet was in an idyllic Garden of Eden state where the physical laws you believe so firmly in do not necessarily apply. It is my belief that this earth is getting very close to the prophesied time when it will be changed back to a Garden of Eden state, the whole planet this time, mountains levelled, valleys filled, etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Ah, sincerity.

That's an astonishingly subjective factor in what you'd love to believe is some sort of "objective" experiment.

You are out of your league here. You haven't the foggiest idea of what constitutes an experiment, let alone a scientific methodology.
Yes, I confess that you are most likely more familiar with the methods and tools of science than I am. But could it be you who is out of your league when it comes to spiritual things, which are the things I tend to write about?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopSpamming View Post
A lot of misconceptions here.

Everybody is born as atheist. The environment controls which of the ~ 200 gods active today you get to "choose". When you grow up you grow out of the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. This is where most get stuck. I didn't and progressed to grow out of any kind of god. They are all myths without a shred of evidence, let alone proof.
You hit the nail on the head. Religion is a choice, heavily influenced by your parents' belief systems. It's a belief passed down from generation to generation and not at all based upon objective examination of how the physical universe works.

Religion can work as a method of philosophically reconciling ourselves with a great creation - but then so does any religion, regardless of its dogma, and so no religion can lay claim to exclusive "truth."

"Creationism" is a futile and desperate attempt to become a "scientific" discipline, because creationists know that science has become the only accepted method of understanding the universe from a physical perspective. But that effort is doomed, because the very nature of creationism is not based on the scientific method. It is instead based upon a pre-conceived notion of how the universe came to be based upon stories written hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Religion is great poetry, but it is not science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality