Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 PM

32 posts, read 190,033 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me what the major differences between the LDS and Baptist religions?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:09 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
Boy, where do we start? First, Baptists believe that God is a Spirit Being, Mormons believe that God has a physical body.

Second, Baptists believe that God, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit are One yet three Personages; Mormons believe that each of them are three separate, distinct entities.

Baptists believe that the Bible is God's Holy Word and the only Book that is needed; Mormons believe that in addition to the Bible, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price are necessary to complement the Bible.

These are only three of a great many differences that are relevant to your question. I could go on but there is simply not enough space to cover everything. I would recommend finding a site for the Baptists and a site for the Mormons, do some reading and then I believe you will have a better idea than anyone of us can adequately relay in a post like this. I wish you well....God bless.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
No that has not changed it is still true. We do believe also in a place called "outer darkness" which I suppose could be an equivalent to Hell. Only the really, really bad dudes go there though.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:17 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
The Baptist believe in Heaven and Hell because that's what the Bible teaches.
You go to Heaven by accepting Jesus as your savior,ask Him to forgive you of your sins, there is a place called hell for people who reject Jesus. Only one level in Heaven for Christians.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
Here is a great link that will give you comparisons of Mormonsim and Christianity.

I hope this helps!

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/micha...mormonism.html

Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
I am mormon. I am Christian. I believe Jesus Christ lived and performed miracles, suffered in Gethsemane, died on the cross for the sins of the world and was raised by the power of God on the third day. We are all entitled to salvation through this gift if we come to Christ and repent of our sins.
How much more Christian do you want?
I'm sorry but I would of expected more of you kawpgz then condoning some anti mormon article as to finding out the "truth".

Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
I used to belong to the mormon church and left to join the Assemblies of God. I remember being taught in my Sunday School classes that the Jesus of the Bible/Book of Mormon/Doctrine and Covenants is different than the Jesus of the Bible proper. Mormons emphatically state that their church is the only true church on the face of the earth which renders all others as being false. If all others are false, then their version of the Godhead, according to them, is correct. However, if one adheres to the sole Biblical interpretation of the Godhead, then the mormon church is wrong.

There is no way to successfully marry the two theologies together because of the vast differences between them. Therefore, either the solely Biblical adherents are correct in callling themselves christians or the mormons are, based on their interpretations. As long as both groups are making their claim to the term of being a christian, one will be right, the other wrong and I don't think it's ever going to change.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I am mormon. I am Christian. I believe Jesus Christ lived and performed miracles, suffered in Gethsemane, died on the cross for the sins of the world and was raised by the power of God on the third day. We are all entitled to salvation through this gift if we come to Christ and repent of our sins.
How much more Christian do you want?
I'm sorry but I would of expected more of you kawpgz then condoning some anti mormon article as to finding out the "truth".
Dreameyes,
forgive me. i was NOT condoning anti-mormonism here. I was simply submitting a link that tells the differences.
It's really kind of ironic (which makes things difficult) that I have met a number of Mormons that seem to be TRUE Christians in every meaning of the Word (like you Dreameyes). You seem to believe in the Deity of Jesus and all of the other doctrines that Christians believe. However, I have also met a number of Mormons that believe that they can get to Heaven by works alone as well as many of the other Mormon doctrines rather than truly believing that we are SAVED BY GRACE!
I'm sorry if you took offense Dreameyes...I don't see you as the former!
I don't know why there is a difference in the Mormons I have met, but I believe that there are differences in every denomination.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 43,558 times
One thing that has always been interesting to me is how Mormons say on one hand that they are Christian "too", but on the other hand that they are the only "true" Christians. Which is it? Are they ALSO Christian, or are they the ONLY Christians?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
they are two different religions, one is a christian sect, one is a cult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality