Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,922 times

Advertisements

If you asked Christians to accept Horus they would have a fit, yet they accept the Christian tails without question. Make you question their sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,733,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
It's not just Horus - there's also Mithras, Dionysus, Bacchus, Zarathustra, Hercules, Ra, Krishna, Attis and a host of other "Man-Gods" who were resurrected saviors/prophets/miracle workers that the authors of the Jesus myth borrowed from.

The archetype of the solar man-god, born of a virgin, slain and risen, spans many cultures and many times.
that's what the 1st part of zeitgeist:the movie elucidates.
and they do it well.
and then, after that, the real "fun" begins.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM

63,892 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, by this point pretty much anything is a rehash here There are a lot of correlations between several earlier mythologies and Christianity. The Christians are well-known to have scavenged their religious bits from those earlier ones. It was their way of incorporating "heathen" populations more easily into Christianity -- by giving them familiar gods and legends that compared closely to their own.
There is another interpretation . . . all the earlier versions are the "spiritual fossils" in the record of the spiritual template (DNA . . . "God Gene") for our spiritual evolution . . . the " verbal spiritual bones" left by each evolutionary branch or stage. I have studied it extensively and it is quite compelling. We see what we want to see, I guess.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is another interpretation . . . all the earlier versions are the "spiritual fossils" in the record of the spiritual template (DNA . . . "God Gene") for our spiritual evolution . . . the " verbal spiritual bones" left by each evolutionary branch or stage. I have studied it extensively and it is quite compelling. We see what we want to see, I guess.
Oh riiiiight. What a load.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You may then appreciate the 1st part of Zeitgeist:The Movie.
Zeitgeist - The Movie
(it's the one on the right)
Thanks...I've run out of time today but I'll catch it before the end of the week.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
There are a lot of resemblences. However, there are a lot of differences to.

I'm not saying they are the exact same story, I don't believe they are, I just think that the disciples exagerated some of the realities of the life of Jesus to further their religion.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are a lot of resemblences. However, there are a lot of differences to.

I'm not saying they are the exact same story, I don't believe they are, I just think that the disciples exagerated some of the realities of the life of Jesus to further their religion.

Yep. No one is claiming they are exact same stories but rather variations of the same myth and archetype.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
It's not just Horus - there's also Mithras, Dionysus, Bacchus, Zarathustra, Hercules, Ra, Krishna, Attis and a host of other "Man-Gods" who were resurrected saviors/prophets/miracle workers that the authors of the Jesus myth borrowed from.

The archetype of the solar man-god, born of a virgin, slain and risen, spans many cultures and many times.
You gotta' love this one. Written by Thomas Jefferson to John Adams...third president of the U S to the second...direct quote from one of Jeffersons's letters:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,579,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yep, this has been gone over in depth here before. Interesting stuff, but the christers will naysay it.
More like anyone with an accurate knowledge of history and Egyptian mythology will naysay it. The Christ/Horus stuff is largely based in a group of occultic and Theosophist writers. It does not correspond well to the actual beliefs ancient Egyptians had of Horus.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You gotta' love this one. Written by Thomas Jefferson to John Adams...third president of the U S to the second...direct quote from one of Jeffersons's letters:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
I'm not gay, but I can honestly say, I love that man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality