Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,839,270 times

Advertisements

Some remnants of the old religions will intrude and pollute the new religion like that Jesus Christ brought.

Therefore, some remnants of the idolatry and paganism will be found in the Christianity or Islam, being inherited by common people from the old paganism.

E.g. some celebrations and festivals of the old idolatrous Egypt or Greece, will almost continue to exist, but under some titles of the new religion: like the celebration of the beginning of the year or the Christmas which were inherited from the Greek celebrations, but now came under new titles of the Christianity.

Another example: Nourouz: the 21st. of March every year, which was a festival of the magians, and it is now celebrated by many Muslims and they even kindle fire for such celebrations.

Therefore, certainly some of Egypt traditions and myths (in addition to the Greek myths) were known to common people, and then they were mixed with the Christianity --> leading to the distortion of the original teachings of Jesus and the original Gospel --> leading to the enthusiasm, and considering Jesus as the son of God (although he named himself "the Son of Man."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,684,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You gotta' love this one. Written by Thomas Jefferson to John Adams...third president of the U S to the second...direct quote from one of Jeffersons's letters:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
I know a girl who was going on the other day about the US being founded on "christian values"... Maybe I should throw a few quotes her way That one is pretty good!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,802,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
More like anyone with an accurate knowledge of history and Egyptian mythology will naysay it.
An "accurate knowledge of history" taught at Xian Bible based "universities" perhaps.

Quote:
The Christ/Horus stuff is largely based in a group of occultic and Theosophist writers. It does not correspond well to the actual beliefs ancient Egyptians had of Horus.
The Jesus myth was clearly lifted from previously existing god-man cults and myths. This is pretty much undeniable. Horus is only one example.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,839,270 times
The apostle invites people to God not to himself glorification

It is not logical that any apostle of God, any apostle whether Jesus or other apostles; so he is sent by God his Lord and his Master, then he comes and say to people: Glorify me: I am the beginning and the end, and I am the son of God or I am God Himself or united with God as part of trinity.

All this is added and attributed to him, that he said this (according to the available gospels, of course);

but no he should tell people: I am a righteous servant sent by God to teach you the First Commandment: the most important of all the commandments, and don't call me "good"; the good is only One: that is God.

This is in the Quran 3: 79
مَا كَانَ لِبَشَرٍ أَن يُؤْتِيَهُ اللّهُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحُكْمَ وَالنُّبُوَّةَ ثُمَّ يَقُولَ لِلنَّاسِ كُونُواْ عِبَادًا لِّي مِن دُونِ اللّهِ وَلَكِن كُونُواْ رَبَّانِيِّينَ بِمَا كُنتُمْ تُعَلِّمُونَ الْكِتَابَ وَبِمَا كُنتُمْ تَدْرُسُونَ
The explanation:
(It is not for any man [whether Jesus or others] that God should give him the Scripture, the judging [of people with justice] and the prophethood,

and that he should then say to people " Be my servants rather than God's servants",

but: "Be rather God's servants by virtue of your [constant] teaching [people] the Scripture and of your [constant] study [thereof.]")

Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
An "accurate knowledge of history" taught at Xian Bible based "universities" perhaps.
Nice try, but you'll have to try again. I went to a Public High School and then a secular State University. For a variety of reasons, mostly relating to my condition, I did not even have much in the way of CCD compared to my Catholic siblings. (Sometimes I think my self-taught approach is why I stayed Catholic when many of my siblings didn't. In fact I know one of my siblings left the Church over, IMO wrong, things she was taught at CCD) Anyway the University I attended was moderate to conservative for a University, but we had our Marxists and staunch atheists in the department. None of my professors were Catholic, so far as I know, and even the Christian ones tended not to be conservative Christians.

That you think some stuff you found on Youtube or Theosophist books is "undeniable" is interesting, but not at all persuasive. It's true there are similarities between the story of Christ and other mythos, but

1: Christ is to be universal in most Christian thought. Many early Christians sought out similarities or "anticipations" of Christ in Roman or ancient mythos.

2: The claims of exact similarities (rather than just similarities to a vague outline of Christ's life) always fall apart on further examination.

For example the Horus/Jesus claims originate in one Gerald Massey. Massey was not a historian and his Egyptology is over a century old plus self-taught. He was largely a Druid and poet. Other writers on the subject were Theosophists with a vested interest in proving a connection between all religions. Show me one thing, from a credible scholarly source, supporting this Horus/Jesus stuff and maybe we'll talk. As it stands this is little different than Campbell's "Ica Stones" or what have you.

Note: On my own I have found a book published by John Karefah Marah from a University publisher and possibly some from a Bernhard Lang. Although most things only confirm similarities between non-Biblical stories of the infancy of Horus and Jesus. In general Horus was literally a king who warred with Seth and I'm not sure "Anup the Baptizer" even much occurs outside Massey.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-09-2009 at 02:42 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,700,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
The apostle invites people to God not to himself glorification
Are you going to make a cogent point, or are you just going to keep babbling quotes from your particular mythical book?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM

7,609 posts, read 6,115,310 times
Religion does borrow and absorb mythology from other religions. That is the nature of it. Perhaps one reason Christianity has so many aspect of Egyptian Mythology is because the early Christians (Jews) shared a common bondage and occupation under Rome and as such, both cultures had a chance to share myth and dogma. When a populace is occupied or imprisoned, faith is normally one of the last things to disappear, as the occupied peoples, in this case the Jews and the Egyptians, would have been praying and conspiring daily for someone to come and save them from the foot of Rome.
Perfect time for a Messiah to appear, borrowed heavily on mythology of both as wel as other, groups.....A perfect blend oof elements of Judaism, Egyptian Mythology, Mirthaism, not to mention who knows how many other unnamed pagan and tribal religions.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Note: On my own I have found a book published by John Karefah Marah from a University publisher and possibly some from a Bernhard Lang. Although most things only confirm similarities between non-Biblical stories of the infancy of Horus and Jesus. In general Horus was literally a king who warred with Seth and I'm not sure "Anup the Baptizer" even much occurs outside Massey.
The movie Zeitgeist and other presentations of similar material derived much of their impetus from a 1965 book by Gerald L. Berry Religions of the World: The Record of Man's Religious Faiths probably out of print.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,412,945 times
There have been comparisons of the story of Jesus and other Mystery religion resurrected god-man stories since the beginning of the Christian era.

Even a number of early church writers acknowledged the similarities.

Apparently Justin Martyr and Tertullian explain away the similarities of the god-men who pre-dated Christianity by hundreds of years or more, by claiming the devil knew of the coming of Christ so he "pre-planted" these ideas to confuse people.

Justin Martyr (ca. 100 AD – ca. 165 AD) writes:
Quote:
"In saying that the Word was born for us without sexual union as Jesus Christ our teacher, we introduce nothing beyond what is said of those called the Sons of Zeus."
Quote:
"Having heard it proclaimed through the prophets that the Christ was to come and that the ungodly among men were to be punished by fire, the wicked spirits put forward many to be called Sons of God, under the impression that they would be able to produce in men the idea that the things that were said with regard to Christ were merely marvellous tales, like the things that were said by the poets."
Tertullian (ca. 160 – ca. 220 AD)writes of 'diabolical mimicry' by the Devil in creating the Mysteries of Mithras:
Quote:
‘The devil, whose business is to pervert the truth, mimics the exact circumstances of the Divine Sacraments. He baptises his believers and promises forgiveness of sins from the Sacred Fount, and thereby initiates them into the religion of Mithras.
Thus he celebrates the oblation of bread, and brings in the symbol of the resurrection. Let us therefore acknowledge the craftiness of the devil, who copies certain things of those that be Divine.’
Celsus, (2nd century critic) quoted by Origen (3rd century) in his work “Against Celsus” writes:
Quote:
'Are these distinctive happenings unique to the Christians -and if so, how are they unique? Or are ours to be accounted myths and theirs believed? What reasons do the Christians give for the distinctiveness of their beliefs? In truth there is nothing at all unusual about what the Christians believe, except that they believe it to the exclusion of more comprehensive truths about God.'
Quote:
‘You say he prophesied that he would himself rise from the dead, and he did rise. How many others produce wonders like this to convince simple hearers whom they exploit by deceit? Zalmoxis, the slave of Pythagoras, told the Scythians that he had come back from the dead. So Pythagoras told the Italians. Rhampsinitus pretended to have played dice with Demeter in Hell, and he showed a golden napkin which Demeter had given to him.

Orpheus among the Odrysians, Protesilaus in Thessaly, Hercules at Tænarum, Theseus, all are said to have died and risen again. But did anyone really rise—really—in the body in which he had lived? Or shall we say that all these stories are fables, but that yours is true?’
Some handy sources for the texts of these and many other writers of the early Christian era:

Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers
Browse by Author (A) | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

Last edited by Ceist; 10-11-2009 at 04:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality