Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any breed, brand or flavor of church(es) that you can do/go to as family?

Asking because Mrs. is usually busy on a Sunday Morning, so if the kids are going to be going to church it is going to be with me. That part is ok, I am fine with that. The kids are generally Very Well Behaved -- else they would deal with me. Joking -- they are mostly in an adult world and can behave very well.

But what happens shortly after we get in the door is folks in most any church try to start pulling, peeling, or grabbing away the kids -- btw, a girl, 7 y.o. , a boy 5 y.o, and another boy 2 y.o.

The church people seem to want to drag the kids away to some unknown nursery or who-knows-what, we say No Thanks, then the church folks insist harder until either we all go there together and all just sit around the floor of the nursery and I play with the kids and try to chat with the teenage daycare workers, (I am a 48 year old guy) or we just leave the place.

Is there any church that is not freakishly into age segregation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,800,060 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of any breed, brand or flavor of church(es) that you can do/go to as family?
A church is not an appropriate venue for children of any age..

If you wish to spend quality time as a family there are far better options. Go on a weekend road trip, camping, the zoo, a museum, etc etc..

Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,624 times
Many Episcopalian churches (probably many other churches too) offer the children Sunday School/Christian Education during the service in order to make church less "boring" for the children and a time of spiritual nourishment for the parents who for an hours or so can sit and relax and not worry about keeping the children quiet.

There are some really meaningful and profound Sunday School programmes around, one of the best (in my opinion) being "Godly Play". I attach a link

What is Godly Play?

Other churches have different services at different time and some are just for families.

It is a case of shopping around and find the church where you and your family find yourselves more comfortable in.

Good luck

Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
I let my grandmother take my son to Sunday school at her church. (Second Baptist).

I'm not afraid of my son being exposed to religion. I remember Sunday school growing up, it was just more of play time for me, I didn't really learn anything about God.

But regular church, no, I think I'd keep my child out of that. A good fire and brimstone preacher can scare an adult, let alone a child.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Asking because Mrs. is usually busy on a Sunday Morning, so if the kids are going to be going to church it is going to be with me. That part is ok, I am fine with that. The kids are generally Very Well Behaved -- else they would deal with me. Joking -- they are mostly in an adult world and can behave very well.

But what happens shortly after we get in the door is folks in most any church try to start pulling, peeling, or grabbing away the kids -- btw, a girl, 7 y.o. , a boy 5 y.o, and another boy 2 y.o.

The church people seem to want to drag the kids away to some unknown nursery or who-knows-what, we say No Thanks, then the church folks insist harder until either we all go there together and all just sit around the floor of the nursery and I play with the kids and try to chat with the teenage daycare workers, (I am a 48 year old guy) or we just leave the place.

Is there any church that is not freakishly into age segregation?
I'll ask you...why do you think they want to segregate/separate the kids?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I had 4 children..very close in age, like 4 kids in 5 years..
Since they were mine, and my responsibility, when we went to church, which was every Sunday, they all sat with me..If one got restless and a bit loud I would take that child along with her sisters and brother to the nursery at the back of the church, where they could amuse themselves and I could still hear the message..
When they got older, they still preferred to sit beside me in church instead of attending the "Sunday School"..unless I was the teacher.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM

79 posts, read 99,165 times
The LDS Church has a meeting with with whole family called sacrament (like mass). Then the kiddies go to their classes and the adults go another way.

However, not sure if it's your cup of tea

Old 10-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
A church is not an appropriate venue for children of any age..

If you wish to spend quality time as a family there are far better options. Go on a weekend road trip, camping, the zoo, a museum, etc etc..
hahahaha. ahhh.

Thanks.

Suppose Jesus did not spend a whole lot of time in Church, either.

Unless upending money-changers tables, I guess.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Many Episcopalian churches (probably many other churches too) offer the children Sunday School/Christian Education during the service in order to make church less "boring" for the children and a time of spiritual nourishment for the parents who for an hours or so can sit and relax and not worry about keeping the children quiet.

There are some really meaningful and profound Sunday School programmes around, one of the best (in my opinion) being "Godly Play". I attach a link

What is Godly Play?

Other churches have different services at different time and some are just for families.

It is a case of shopping around and find the church where you and your family find yourselves more comfortable in.

Good luck
That looks interesting.

Thank You.

Do they usually do that as part of a church / church group with the parents, or something that is usually outside of any given church?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I let my grandmother take my son to Sunday school at her church. (Second Baptist).

I'm not afraid of my son being exposed to religion. I remember Sunday school growing up, it was just more of play time for me, I didn't really learn anything about God.

But regular church, no, I think I'd keep my child out of that. A good fire and brimstone preacher can scare an adult, let alone a child.

The Fire And Brimstone folks usually sound to me about like ranting idiots or used car salesman (no disrespect intended for used car folks).

Just ranting about the 50% downside part of the(ir own) plan. All the condemnation and hate -- none of the love or salvation.

No Thanks, if they are so obsessed with Hell, they are welcome to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality