Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,896,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is my problem with organized religion. People rely on their preacher to tell them what God thinks. However, they never read the "word of God" for themselves.

I'd say 70% of Christians don't know that the bible says its ok to rape a woman, kill homosexuals, or that the Sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday.

It's ok to rape women, and kill homosexuals?

Apparently you didn't read the part where God says "thou shalt not kill", or the other part where the Bible says fornication (illicit sex) is a sin...

I will agree with you however on Saturday being the Sabbath...not Sunday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,435,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
It's ok to rape women, and kill homosexuals?

Apparently you didn't read the part where God says "thou shalt not kill", or the other part where the Bible says fornication (illicit sex) is a sin...

I will agree with you however on Saturday being the Sabbath...not Sunday...
I didn't say it wasn't contradictory

Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,993,038 times
Once again, anti-theism not understanding that there is a difference between belief in a single religion (christianity) and belief in GOD. Most people in America believe in GOD, as is proven by scientific polls, and not sensationalists articles: ARIS 2008 Report: Highlights - American Religious Identification Survey 2008 (http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/reports/highlights.html - broken link)

"The study detailed Americans' deep and broad religiosity, finding that 92 percent believe in God or a universal spirit -- including one in five of those who call themselves atheists."

Most Americans Believe in Higher Power, Poll Finds - washingtonpost.com

So, if anything, between the article above, which states that 1 in five atheists really aren't atheist, and the ARIS survey, which shows the growth of non-believers declining, not that Americans are "faking religiosity".

But, if you mean "Are Americans believing in GOD but carrying less about the Bible", I would have to say, yes, indeed, they are.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times
Absolutely. Most people I've known have faked their religious beliefs. Not all, but most.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,608,484 times
I do think part of it is so there is a group of "other people" who "we" can feel superior/more righteous than in order to make "us" feel better. Wait...what's this "we" and "us" business? I'm no part of it.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Personally I think many people lie in these religious surveys...They say they go to church regularly (39% say at least once a week when there are nowhere near that many pews in all the nations churches) when they don't, claim to read the bible, while at the same time have very little knowledge of what is in it.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,598,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is my problem with organized religion. People rely on their preacher to tell them what God thinks. However, they never read the "word of God" for themselves.

I'd say 70% of Christians don't know that the bible says its ok to rape a woman, kill homosexuals, or that the Sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday.
There are books after Deuteronomy. For that matter there's books after Chronicles. I get the sense many of you atheists/nontheists never get that far, but I'm not making up the New Testament or the Wisdom books. They do exist.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,017,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are books after Deuteronomy. For that matter there's books after Chronicles. I get the sense many of you atheists/nontheists never get that far....
This is why I started a thread here wondering if Christians are embarrassed by those books from Chronicles and back.

For the record, however, I read beyond the books of Chronicles a few times. I will admit there is some beautiful and glorious language in some parts, but then again, god evolves and gets a little more civilized with the stroke of a "pen."

Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,046,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are books after Deuteronomy. For that matter there's books after Chronicles. I get the sense many of you atheists/nontheists never get that far, but I'm not making up the New Testament or the Wisdom books. They do exist.
That does not change the fact that the Bible does say those things and much worse... and it is supposed to be the infallible word of God, right?

For the record, I have read it all, and there are some good and noble concepts espoused, but I do not believe that it is the infallible word of God.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
That does not change the fact that the Bible does say those things and much worse... and it is supposed to be the infallible word of God, right?

For the record, I have read it all, and there are some good and noble concepts espoused, but I do not believe that it is the infallible word of God.
I sure hope it's not...Some very nasty stuff in that old book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality